Thread: Question about filters

Default Question about filters

Hi, i'm was wondering ...

whats the general price range for cokin filters... are they any good ?? seems to me that they scratch easily as well ... anyway i'm considering changing over to use cokin filters as it seems its less expensive in the long run compared to buying filters for the different lens diameters (esp the 72mm and 77mm ones) .. can anyone offer any advice ?

Read something about gel filters about .. any idea what thats about ?

Cokin filter prices vary as there are 3 different sizes. Quality varies as well from suitable for low to mid end professional work through to unacceptable for pro work but acceptable for amateur work. Cokin ND Grads and polarizers for example are not colour neutral.

My recommendation is to head down to a camera shop, get a Cokin filter kit book, read up online, decide which size of filter you require, go test drive the filter holder and then go for it.

Gelatine or Gel filters are thin gelatine or plastic filters that are of very high grade, the main manufacturers are Kodak (Wratten series, which are used in B+W filters) and Lee (UK). Gels are fragile, difficult to work with in the field and not something I'd recommend unless you are in a studio environment or have the resources and touch to work with them in the field.

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia
    Hi, i'm was wondering ...

whats the general price range for cokin filters... are they any good ?? seems to me that they scratch easily as well ... anyway i'm considering changing over to use cokin filters as it seems its less expensive in the long run compared to buying filters for the different lens diameters (esp the 72mm and 77mm ones) .. can anyone offer any advice ?

Read something about gel filters about .. any idea what thats about ?
    Yo Darrel,
    I have some Cokin & gel filters. I also have the Cokin filter kit booklet. Can lend it to you so you can decide what kind of filters you need.

Cheers,
    -Michelle-