Thread: All that MEGAPIXELS-Is it getting us anywhere?

Default All that MEGAPIXELS-Is it getting us anywhere?

This probably isn't the right topic for the most discerning pixel peepers, or professionals working with studio grade/magazine grade levels of photography....

As we all know, digital is king. Nuff said. Its what the industry has been putting most of its R&D into for the past decade or so. From the early 1/2 megapixel cameras; be it us consumers or pros, its always been part of a camera company's marketing strategy to sell more with the megapixel claim.

This is clearly evident up until today. Aside from the better high ISO noise reduction capabilities, newer cameras that came out always had more MP's...

So the question is, do we really need it? Has it become a tad impeding due to the larger picture files we're getting that may ultimately affect our workflow? Or do people really need them for massive cropping and printing huge!

This question came to my mind when I was at a friend's room yesterday night (I'm staying the the school hostel) and saw a HUGE photograph of his brother and him. The photo was easily a metre across and probably 50 to 60cm in height.

From about a distance of 2 metres, I stared at it and asked him, who took this for you?

That was taken by our friend with her "normal PnS digital camera".

So do we really need those megapixels? Just how large can we comfortably print say with 12? And how often do you guys here find yourself printing photos?

For me, I tend to keep them in digital formats and have never printed a shot till date....

Default Re: All that MEGAPIXELS-Is it getting us anywhere?

there is a thread already, talking about the need for more megapixels in kpt.

and yeah, people keep the files in digital more then printing now.

People love big numbers and so that's what is given to them. You think if you design and sell a 8Mp DSLR at this day and age it'll become a top seller just because your tag line is "because 8Mp is more practical for the average consumer"? Even if that DSLR beats or is equal to every other brand out there, people will still lament it's only 8Mp. They don't have to use it to want it, at the same time they don't have to understand it to buy it. Isn't that how the world works?

Will Nikon or Canon entertain such jokers who call and ask, "Look I don't need 20Mp on my yadda-cam. I love the features though so can you build the same machine but give me 10Mp instead?" Asking why the industry feeds us Mp is pointless. Much like advertising how fast a car goes from 0-100kph, it always sounds good but ya as if you drag race on a regular basis.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 11th March 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Simply because 26 stops of dynamic range does not sounds as impressive as 26 million pixels to the layman on the streets.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 12th March 2010 at 12:19 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    People love big numbers and so that's what is given to them. You think if you design and sell a 8Mp DSLR at this day and age it'll become a top seller just because your tag line is "because 8Mp is more practical for the average consumer"? Even if that DSLR beats or is equal to every other brand out there, people will still lament it's only 8Mp. They don't have to use it to want it, at the same time they don't have to understand it to buy it. Isn't that how the world works?

Will Nikon or Canon entertain such jokers who call and ask, "Look I don't need 20Mp on my yadda-cam. I love the features though so can you build the same machine but give me 10Mp instead?" Asking why the industry feeds us Mp is pointless. Much like advertising how fast a car goes from 0-100kph, it always sounds good but ya as if you drag race on a regular basis.
    Well said.....

you copy my topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEE YOU IN COURT

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you copy my topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEE YOU IN COURT
    Haha...Paiseh if I did but I've not sieved through to forum prior to posting so if my topic happened to coincide with yours, you've got my sincerest apologies... My bad for not checking before posting....

From a consumer viewpoint, it is likely that one concludes that it is more of a marketing strategy and one that is easy to work on.

We all love big numbers. The bigger that better.

But for a while, let us take a look from another perspective. The progression from paper photographs to digital files viewed from monitor means that there is an upscale in the resolution viewed. In this digital era, less paper photographs are being printed and more is viewed from digital display. As technology improves, manufacturers are able to rolled out bigger digital display panel at surprisingly low price. And with that, people love blowing up up pictures to look at certain details. It may be a person hiding at one corner of the picture or for whatever reason.

Indeed, a 5MP camera is probably sufficient on a reasonably big printed paper media without too much lose of details. But as the reality progresses from analog to digital, there is this no denying that the demand for higher megapixel camera exist.

I'm pretty sure, down the years, perhaps the standard norm for a PC display might be 32" or higher. It would be inpractical for A4 size photographs to be printed on paper media in bulk. But it certainly isn't for media to be viewed on a 32" display at whatever resolution that it is capable off.

So therefore, without a doubt, the demand for megapixel is there.

I find XMMs prefer the size of camera than megapixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    size does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Agree..

Every year, near IT Show/PC Show etc., people always call to ask me which compact cams are "nice" and value for money..
    I get a headache every time I receive such calls..

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Agree..

Every year, near IT Show/PC Show etc., people always call to ask me which compact cams are "nice" and value for money..
    now i'll say i'm not sure as i never buy PnS cam to use already.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Agree..

Sometimes I try to be helpful, give some recommendations and explain some little technical aspects on why I choose that model and how are the reviews, why MP is not important. After explaining quite a bit in layman terms, it's useless. Because they can't don't bother and say the models I recommend are not nice looking or 'weird' brands like Fujiflim. Then ask me how about this, how about that, friend say this brand good, that brand no good.

End up I tell them to buy what they like and they give in to marketing gimmicks and buy based on brand and cosmetic looks, expecting wonder from the little cam.

Quote Originally Posted by pchmj View Post
    Sometimes I try to be helpful, give some recommendations and explain some little technical aspects on why I choose that model and how are the reviews, why MP is not important. After explaining quite a bit in layman terms, it's useless. Because they can't don't bother and say the models I recommend are not nice looking or 'weird' brands like Fujiflim. Then ask me how about this, how about that, friend say this brand good, that brand no good.

End up I tell them to buy what they like and they give in to marketing gimmicks and buy based on brand and cosmetic looks, expecting wonder from the little cam.
    you forgot to tell them that you are not "employed" by the nice camera brands to promote for them so only recommend the "old" standard kinda cam.