Thread: Is Air-port X-ray harmful to film and camera's electronics?

Default Is Air-port X-ray harmful to film and camera's electronics?

Is Air-port X-ray harmful to film and camera's electronics?

i think they have a sign there say that its safe to put ur camera inside or take out ur camera b4 scaning ur bag. its either one.. i remember seeing one at sia airport and japan airport
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

should be safe for camera. However, it's best that you pack your films separately and ask the security to check them separate.

If u r going to USA, their security check is quite tight.

Last yr, I went to Canada/USA ... flown in to USA via Canada ... my digicam was scanned by X-Ray machine + they asked you to open the camera bag then using a little piece of wet wipe to wipe on the digicam (I assumed that it contained some chemical that will change colour if got contact with explosive)

then when I am returning to Canada from USA, kana "lottery" ... the airline check-in staff told us tat we r select by the computer to go for the more "powerful" X-ray scanning ... the US custom staff told us that that X-ray would damage film ... my sis-in-law already packed all her film in the check-in luggage (lucky I use digicam and hand carry it :P) ... she had to take them out and hand carry them (lucky thing she packed all the film in a small bag b4 putting them in the luggage.)

Normal airport X-ray should not damage film or camera ... but I can say the same about the high-power ones.

Darkspade

x-ray can only affect film..it does not affect cameras, film or otherwise. For film, always handcarry and don't check it in. The checkin X-ray machines are much stronger and will fog your film. For hand carry, I think most airports state that lower speed film (think its <400) is OK for the handcarry X-ray but faster films which are more sensitive can be fogged. On a recent trip, I carried 800 and 400 film, went through the handluggage checki n, went through museums X-ray, total of at least 4 scans per roll, and nothing happened.

be careful with the xray machines and electronic items.

my dad is working at the TM ferry terminal.
    he just told me last week that they zapped some passengers samsung hp and a cheapo MP3 player by passing it thru the xray machine.

they had to repair/replace for the passenger of course.

dunno if it would affect your digicam but personally, i wud just ask them to inspect by hand if possible.

ae

In the latest copy of Outdoor photography, there this photographer that relates his experiences and advices on touring with camera gear.

He says that X-ray effects are cumalative, so the more scans on the same roll, the stronger the effect of these radiation on film.

I'v tried putting in Fujifilm 100/200 films in checkin luggage and nothing happened, but nowadays, I store them in handcarry luggage, in pouches which are easy to access and handchecked.