Thread: What is the purpose/use of after shave?

Default What is the purpose/use of after shave?

As the header implies, what is its use? I used to use one, but had stopped. It caused irritation to my skin, especially after shaving. So why are people still using after shave? What does it do?
    EM

Default Re: What is the purpose/use of after shave?

when you shave you sometime cut yourself or if your blade is blunt and dirty it could cause you rashes or irritation. Aftershave is used to prevent those, some contains moisturizers, antiseptic, etc etc.

I dont use aftershave, but what I do is use my facial wash and apply it on my face then shave...so far no irritation or rashes and bleeding...

Shouldn't this be in the Kopitiam section?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the Kopitiam section?
    hahahaha... agree with you... i thought there's some weird usage of after shave for photography when i saw the title...

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    As the header implies, what is its use? I used to use one, but had stopped. It caused irritation to my skin, especially after shaving. So why are people still using after shave? What does it do?
    EM
    I use it more to sooth the skin after a shave. Some are scented and some are strongly mentholated. different skin needs different treatment some love balm, some prefer gel. I have a few lotions that i rotate interchangeably based on mood, sometimes i use one for a week Some of the European ones can be pretty strong on alcohol and menthol and scented till the point of almost cologne.

* emlee, i think u posted under wrong section too

ryan

Wahhh you stylo.... anyhow post

Who just grew mustache???

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    EM
    lol, i dun use electric shave so no issue wif wad u facing, but this shd be discussed in lopitiam i think
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

ya, just realised i posted in wrong section. so sorry. but thanks for the replies.

depends how much beard you have. Most chinese are quite clean cut so don't really need after shave. Is just like I don't expect a baldy to use shampoo on his scalp.

Aftershave are mostly mint ingredient, alcohol or something along these line to give the skin a cold sensation. Purposed to numb the skin from irritation immediately after the skin is being scraped. Products added cologne to give the smell sensation. If ones skin is sensitive to mint or alcohol based for instance, irritation will occur after application. There are products which are made for fragile skin people.

Aftershave is not a all cure thing. If the skin is very sensitive to abrasion or shaving blade is dirty, after shave cannot do anything. If you don't need aftershave liquid, then don't need.

I read of new aftershave cream that can retard the beard growth so that by evening, the face won't look shoddy.

Use to clean your lenses.

for getting a particular expression from your portrait subjects..