19th March 2004, 03:52 PM
which >5x Opt Zoom camera, FZ series or Olym C series??
A newbie here deciding on which cam (1st or 2nd hand) to get.
I want a cam with around 10x zoom, but is also less than $600.
After browsing, I found people selling their FZ 1 here for $500+- and the Olym C series for a hundred more than that.
1. I would need the cam for BOTH indoor and outdoor photos. It seems that all these cams are not good for indoor usage. Why? Is there any remedy?
2. What flash units should I get for these cams? Not too ex pls.
3. Is image stabil. that much of a factor?
19th March 2004, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by alguru
I'm using FZ1 right now, and I have to say that FZ1 is a superb outdoor camera, and a rather horrible indoor camera. Why do I say so? Firstly, FZ1 do not have a hotshoe, so it doesn't enable flash units to be attached directly. This doesn't mean that you can't have flash, just that you can only consider on the slave flash option. If not, you can always hire a photography assistant to help you hold a florescence light next to the subject.
Secondly, the noise is horrible in FZ1. Meaning that when you set the camera at high ISO, you would bound to see a lot of undesirable noises in your image. This would mean that you would need to spend some time to do some editing.
Thirdly, the inbuilt flash, especially for the black colour model, is not powerful.
However, it's a great camera for outdoor usage, as you can easily set it to low ISO, and high shutter speed at f2.8. The image stabilisation enable you to zoom into a certain subject at 12x zoom (equivalent to 380mm) and would produce crisp clear shot almost everything.
Just my 2 cents.
19th March 2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the explanation, cheatchu79.
1. Any affordable slave flash units compatible with the FZ/Olym C? Their prices?
2. Is there some gallery with examples of the infamous FZ noise?
3. I like to do outdoor shots and I often find myself wanting more zoom, hence my looking for ultrazoom (correct term, right?) cams. However, I NEED a cam that does event coverage shots, mostly indoors. Without any external flash units, are the indoor pics usable or are they nothing more than a joke?
Originally Posted by cheatchu79