Thread: Does Canon sell cameras directly to the general public?

Default Does Canon sell cameras directly to the general public?

I don't really understand. When I check the prices on its web site, it says that the prices are Recommended Retail Price. What is that supposed to mean? The prices at which it recommends shops to sell to the general public, right?

Does Canon sell DSLR's directly to us, the general public? Or does it only sell to Retailers?

Default Re: Does Canon sell cameras directly to the general public?

Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    I don't really understand. When I check the prices on its web site, it says that the prices are Recommended Retail Price. What is that supposed to mean? The prices at which it recommends shops to sell to the general public, right?

Does Canon sell DSLR's directly to us, the general public? Or does it only sell to Retailers?
    The RRP is Canon's price and most shops outside sells lower than that. I'm not sure if Canon sells them directly to consumers but for some accessories they do such as those u can find at the DigitaLab at level one of keppel tower.

Even if Canon does sells DSLRs directly to us, I doubt anyone will buy cos u can get them at a lot lower price outside.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Agree. A company/distributor is committing certain suicide if they decide to undercut their own resellers and sell direct lower than what their resellers are selling. Who will want to sell for you then?

Unless you don't have/don't want a lot of resellers, in which case, just sell direct instead, like Dell.

Recommended Retail Price means shops cannot sell higher than this price. it doesn't mean they can't sell it lower.

Does Canon have some loyalty programme going at their service centre where if you bring in a Canon, you get to buy a Canon at a loyalty price? I thought I read some posting on it some time back.

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    Does Canon have some loyalty programme going at their service centre where if you bring in a Canon, you get to buy a Canon at a loyalty price? I thought I read some posting on it some time back.
    I read that too. It's called Privilege Purchase or sth. Don't know if it's still available though.

Check out this link:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ight=privilege

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    Recommended Retail Price means shops cannot sell higher than this price. it doesn't mean they can't sell it lower.
    Actually you can sell higher as well, its just the recommended price. Some manufacturers set a guideline that you must sell within a certain percentage of the SRP but not all. And some manufacturers go on further to specify a different percentage for above vs below the SRP you're allowed to sell at though this is rare.

Those people get chopped by the chop shops were buying way about the RRP.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Actually you can sell higher as well, its just the recommended price. Some manufacturers set a guideline that you must sell within a certain percentage of the SRP but not all. And some manufacturers go on further to specify a different percentage for above vs below the SRP you're allowed to sell at though this is rare.
    i should have refrained from using the word "cannot sell". yes it is a guideline.

simple, if canon sells, then places like cathay photo will close down.

look at it from a business pov, isnt it better to focus on producing cameras and let 3rd party stores do the selling?
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

RRP is just a market price set by Canon.

There will be different tiers of pricings for different retailers. Retailers with high volumes of sales will get better pricings, then those with lesser volumes of sales. What prices they get, will be a certain percentage off RRP.

How much they sell, depends on their initial cost. And no, i do not believe they make direct sales to the general public. this will be under-cutting their usual retailers.

I believe how they will operate, coming from a Manufacturer's point of view.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr