Thread: Hello! sorta new here and have some queries

Default Hello! sorta new here and have some queries

heyy! i set up this account like ages ago, but never got down to actually using this. I am still a newbie when it comes to photography and i only own a point & shoot camera. (:

i notice that when i take photos in places whereby the lighting condition is not all that great but yet not that dark and dim either, my photos always turn out to be are rather grainy/ noisy. but when I use the flash on the point and shoot the colours are not great and are either over exposed. so i was wondering, if there is anyway i can get a not so overexposed photo and yet not so grainy. (:

plus, is there any make shift lighting that i can use to help the lighting conditions cos i dont think i would be able to get a DSLR or the other equipments anytime soon. ):

Thanks in advance! much appreciated!

Default Re: Hello! sorta new here and have some queries

A lot depends on what you're shooting. If you could post a sample photo, it would be easier to offer advice.
    But the basics are:
    - if you are shooting in low light, and set your compact to full auto, it's probably going to set a high ISO setting, which results in grainy images
    - in that situation, if you're shooting static objects (buildings at night), you might want to take some control back and set a lower ISO. This will result in a slow shutter speed, so you need to stabilise your camera for the exposure. A tripod is ideal, or a stable surface (make sure you camera won't slide or fall off!). Use the self-timer to shoot, to avoid vibrations from you pressing the shutter release.
    - if you're shooting people or anything that moves, you're probably going to need the flash. Not sure why your shots are overexposed -- could be the subject is too close to the camera (a small piece of tissue can lower the flash power), or the metering is being 'fooled' by a large dark background.

Like I said, post a sample so we can see what's going on

Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

welcome..

please post some pics....

Deregistered

Welcome to CS

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    heyy! i set up this account like ages ago, but never got down to actually using this. I am still a newbie when it comes to photography and i only own a point & shoot camera. (:

i notice that when i take photos in places whereby the lighting condition is not all that great but yet not that dark and dim either, my photos always turn out to be are rather grainy/ noisy. but when I use the flash on the point and shoot the colours are not great and are either over exposed. so i was wondering, if there is anyway i can get a not so overexposed photo and yet not so grainy. (:

plus, is there any make shift lighting that i can use to help the lighting conditions cos i dont think i would be able to get a DSLR or the other equipments anytime soon. ):

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post it here so we can offer you advice. We are all beautiful people at ClubSnap.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Blog Entries

one trick i learn. using a relatively fast iso at 800, and making sure ur flash is on and u have a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second, u will get wad we know as....... cant remember the term.

shucks. but wad it does is to light up ur initial subject and let the other lights flow in later. so u get a nice image.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    one trick i learn. using a relatively fast iso at 800, and making sure ur flash is on and u have a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second, u will get wad we know as....... cant remember the term.

shucks. but wad it does is to light up ur initial subject and let the other lights flow in later. so u get a nice image.
    Slow sync??? Yeah, you should try slow sync. I always use slow sync when capture using flash for night portrait.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zapper10 View Post
    Slow sync??? Yeah, you should try slow sync. I always use slow sync when capture using flash for night portrait.
    yep. its called slow sync

hello everyone, thank you for your replies (:

here are just some photos as requested. please forgive the bad focusing for some of the photos.

without flash

with flash - in this case i think it was underexposed in the foreground and overexposed in the background

without flash - taken at an office event during the day time but its kinda grainy.

all photos were taken with my p&s camera - canon ixus 80is

thank you very much for your help (: i hope this helps to get a better picture of what i am trying to say.

i am unable to adjust the iso on my camera as it is just a p&s camera and i can adjust the flash settings as well. i know it would be good to get a DSLR but i havent saved up enough money to get that yet. so in the mean time, i have to use my p&s (:
    Last edited by crimsonred; 10th March 2010 at 11:01 AM.

here are just some photos as requested. please forgive the bad focusing for some of the photos.

without flash

with flash - in this case i think it was underexposed in the foreground and overexposed in the background

without flash - taken at an office event during the day time but its kinda grainy.

thank you very much for your help (: i hope this helps to get a better picture of what i am trying to say.

i am unable to adjust the iso on my camera as it is just a p&s camera and i can adjust the flash settings as well. i know it would be good to get a DSLR but i havent saved up enough money to get that yet. so in the mean time, i have to use my p&s (:
    okay i have no idea why the photos are not showing. i have tried to edit it many times but it is still not showing.

Blog Entries

okay i have no idea why the photos are not showing. i have tried to edit it many times but it is still not showing.
    It is because you are posting the link to a picasa web page, not to the actual image itself. This is how picases sets it up....

opppsss. you switched to flickr. Ok now you are posting the link to a flickr web page, not to the actual image itself.

You need to click "All sizes" on your particular pic. Select a size, and look at the last link provided. That is the actual image URL. Use that.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th March 2010 at 10:33 AM.

Blog Entries

without flash

tats rubbish. canon ixus 80is allows u to adjust iso. go under manual mode. i'm using a older version of ixus with only 5 megapixels and i can still do tat =.=

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    tats rubbish. canon ixus 80is allows u to adjust iso. go under manual mode. i'm using a older version of ixus with only 5 megapixels and i can still do tat =.=
    oh my! i didnt know that. looks like i havent been meddling enough with my camera though it is a year old. okay i shall try that later when i get home (:

oh and thank you for telling me how to post the pictures. (:

oh my! i didnt know that. looks like i havent been meddling enough with my camera though it is a year old. okay i shall try that later when i get home (:

oh and thank you for telling me how to post the pictures. (:
    Yah.. Canon IXUS 80is has got Manual mode.

Modes
    Auto
    Manual
    Digital Macro
    Portrait
    Night Snapshot
    Color Accent
    Color Swap
    Stitch Assist
    Movie

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd1100is/

and the iso button is definitely there..

Noise and NR at low ISO settings
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonSD1100IS/page3.asp

Quote Originally Posted by adamis View Post
    Yah.. Canon IXUS 80is has got Manual mode.

Modes
    Auto
    Manual
    Digital Macro
    Portrait
    Night Snapshot
    Color Accent
    Color Swap
    Stitch Assist
    Movie

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd1100is/

and the iso button is definitely there..

Noise and NR at low ISO settings
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonSD1100IS/page3.asp
    (: thank you so much for showing me this. i think i really have to meddle with my camera more.

In your first 2 shots you appear to have a retroreflective surface in the background i.e. it reflects most of the light that falls on it back to the source.
    For the first shot, the light source is the ceiling lamp, so no real issue (ok, the light is flat and dull!)
    For the 2nd shot with flash, that background surface is reflecting most of the light from your flash straight back, which makes it appear very bright. Your camera meter 'sees' all this light and reduces the exposure, making the balloons (and the wood) appear dark. Bright backlighting is a common problem. In this case, you could use some form of exposure compensation (if your camera has it) or shoot against a different background.
    Your last shot is another example of a bright backlight fooling the meter into underexposing the main subject. I'd turn on the flash for this -- it would give you a better balance between the foreground and background. Is the grain in this objectionable? Looks okay at this size. But do bear in mind that underexposed / shadow areas tend to come out grainier.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    In your first 2 shots you appear to have a retroreflective surface in the background i.e. it reflects most of the light that falls on it back to the source.
    For the first shot, the light source is the ceiling lamp, so no real issue (ok, the light is flat and dull!)
    For the 2nd shot with flash, that background surface is reflecting most of the light from your flash straight back, which makes it appear very bright. Your camera meter 'sees' all this light and reduces the exposure, making the balloons (and the wood) appear dark. Bright backlighting is a common problem. In this case, you could use some form of exposure compensation (if your camera has it) or shoot against a different background.
    Your last shot is another example of a bright backlight fooling the meter into underexposing the main subject. I'd turn on the flash for this -- it would give you a better balance between the foreground and background. Is the grain in this objectionable? Looks okay at this size. But do bear in mind that underexposed / shadow areas tend to come out grainier.
    Hope this helps
    (: thank you so much. what is exposure compensation?

(: thank you so much for showing me this. i think i really have to meddle with my camera more.
    (: i found the function on my camera, but havent gotten down to actually trying the different iso effects yet. (: thank you very much for telling me. i wouldnt have known!

(: thank you so much. what is exposure compensation?
    Exposure Compensation
    Take the shot!