Thread: Chinese Calligraphy Series Help

Default Chinese Calligraphy Series Help

Dear fellow colleagues,

Good day.

I would need some advises to the following series of Chinese Calligraphy paintings. Was engaged by a client to do artwork copying.

Did the entire series against whiteboard on magnets, shot with hotlights, converted from RAW files.

The ones with ''Original'' was converted directly from the RAW files with tungsten WB, then adjusted the curves, clone away dusts, adjusted perspective and color balanced from Photoshop CS2. After which, I got all the originals from an entire series.

Example 1 (Before)

Example 2 (Before)

After which, client requested to change all background into white, thus came the ''After'' files which all were changed into white background. However, she says the strokes of the brushes are not prominent enough, need all brush strokes visible.

Example 1 (After changing to white background)

Example 2 (After changing to white background)

I tried explaining that once changed into white background, then the strokes might be ''eaten'' in by the whites due to whites being more dominance in this case. Also explained to client that we cant have the best of both world - with a white background plus a detailed brush strokes.

My question is:

1) Any ways to enhance the brush strokes?
    - tried ''burning'', but it leaves a trial of burnt marks on the pictures
    - tried lifting the ''levels'' up for black areas but whole picture turns black too
    - tried "replace color" selected to change the light black, but whole picture turns black too

2) Any method to enhance the strokes without editing thru RAW files again?
    - I got three hundreds over of this series thus need a better way to do it again should there be a better way.

3) Since I am a Mac user, I still can see the strokes details on my details. Is it due to her pc or monitor?

Due to low res image over here, you might see 'bubbles' wrapping around the characters. Whichever help I could get will be greatly appreciated, perhaps anyone who is willing to help I can treat you to a coffee at TCC then we discuss over about it on an evening to view the high res.

Please keep this thread clean as I may show my client the answers I could gather to ease my client's worries.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    Jack
    Last edited by hanqiang1011; 9th March 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Chinese Calligraphy Series Help

Since you are using white background...do a background mask and apply burning...
    Sharpening if needed...

Hope it helps
    Last edited by Dan; 9th March 2010 at 02:56 PM.

PS CS3>>Image >> adjustment >> Black & White >> Preset >> Neutral Density

It is as good as i can get the image to retain the whiteness without screwing the details.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    PS CS3>>Image >> adjustment >> Black & White >> Preset >> Neutral Density

It is as good as i can get the image to retain the whiteness without screwing the details.
    Thanks, I will try using my school's Photoshop CS4...

Thankjs