Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2nd hand Canon EOS 450D at $700. Should I buy?

Default Re: 2nd hand Canon EOS 450D at $700. Should I buy?

Lastly I'll like to say.

Is Canon a good brand?
    Of cos it is.

Is 450D a good camera?
    Yup, it takes nice pictures.

Is the 450D worth $700?
    Hell no

There is nothing wrong with sticking to Canon. There's nothing wrong with buying a 450D too. But at $700? I would think twice, and then think again, and then again. And I would get a 500D in the end.

Wow, night86mare's last reply (the long one) is extremely good advice. Well thought out and balanced and reasoned and tied back to the original issues. You (TS) would do well to read it. A few times!

When I said, "just buy it", I was kinda assuming that the 2nd hand camera/lens is in good working condition. Get a friend who knows what to look for to accompany you, maybe.

I stand by the rest of the cr*p I spouted, though. Let's see your photos, mate

Cheers, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And I forgot to add:

In responding to BnS ads, please try to bargin a bit. Most sellers will post the pricing above their desired selling price because they expect people to bargain.
    dont bargain la...everytime i post on bns they bargain i tell them go fly kite. haha...my price below market rate liao still bargain. slap the low ballers. hence there are decent chaps on cs that wont low ball...

then again...i have not been to bns quite long liao..
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    dont bargain la...everytime i post on bns they bargain i tell them go fly kite. haha...my price below market rate liao still bargain. slap the low ballers. hence there are decent chaps on cs that wont low ball...

then again...i have not been to bns quite long liao..
    LOL. I am like you. I state price (firm) and people still send bids.

But have you seen the asking prices for stuff recently in BnS? Eye popping sia

TS,

Although the replies may sound harsh, you have to realize one thing - They are answering your question: " 2nd hand Canon EOS 450D at $700. Should I buy?". Their answer is NO. It is not worth it, and is 1 generation older at this moment, and will be 2 generations older in a few days when 550D comes out. They are also saying NO, because the camera is 18 months old and average life of modern electronics is not as long as those mechanical film cameras.

I know it is your money, and I respect your decision ultimately. But I just want to remind you that the playing field is level now, in terms of technology, and pricing has indeed come down a lot. Performance between brands are more or less the same. The thing to watch out for is older versus newer technology. Though harsh sounding, the advice from the other CSers is to look at other options. They have gone down the road before. Sure, you do not have the experience, but they do. You asked a question, and they answered it. You may not like what they say but take those advice into account. But ultimately it is your decision. Go ahead and buy it if you so wishes. And I really wish you well and welcome you to the community.

If you still want my opinion, it is simple:

1. the 450D body at 700 is definitely not worth it. 18 months old, extended warranty is unknown. If the extended warranty is from a 3rd party, I can tell you it will be a huge hassle trying to get any sort of warranty work. Also, 550D is around the corner, it is already selling in China. So this will push the price of 500D down and 450D down even more. Maybe you should wait a couple of weeks to see how the pricing go, when a flood of used 500D hits the market.

2. If you want to stick to Canon, it is fine. Everyone has their preferences. Thing is, if you are so tight on budget, maybe you want to wait a while more and save up a little more. Get a new one if you are unsure of how to check a 2nd hand camera. Why? if you get a camera and it breaks, you will feel a lot worse, especially if you have to fork out money to get it fixed.

3. You still have to buy a lens to use on this particular body. Meaning, you have to pay more. And to save money, you have to buy a used lens as well. What if that lens has issues, or if it breaks? Personally, I will never buy used lenses unless they are from people I know and I know they take care of their stuff. Unless it is a very cheap piece of lens I might take the risk. But reading your posts, it seems you can't take this risk as your budget is tight.

Summary:
    You should not be looking at the price and cost of the purchase. You should actually look at the bigger picture, which is the Total cost of Ownership. If you think properly, buying a new set with kit lens for you may be the cheapest in the long run. Unless you know what you are doing when you are buying 2nd hand, I advise you to stay clear of used stuff.

Anyway, these are just my advice to you. I've tons of experience buying used stuff online in USA, China and Singapore. I've had good and bad experiences. But all my purchases are calculated risk. If your budget is as tight as you said it is, you are very risk adverse and you have to be really careful.

Good luck in your hunt.
    That's what I wanted to know. Whether it's worth buying it or not. Well, after reading your post, it seems to me that it will make more sense waiting for a few weeks and see if I get a decent 2nd hand 500D or even save a little bit and buy a new 500D. Thanks for your advice Daredevil and all those who have replied to my thread. 3 of my threads have garnered quite a few responses till now and I am glad to be part of such a nice community of photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by benruane View Post
    Yikes, quite an entertaining thread!

TS - just get ur camera, the one you're satisfied with, and get out there and use the darn thing I'm sure I speak for everyone when saying we'd be much happier seeing your take on the world by way of your photos than your view on Brand A v's Brand B.

And I also think that an informed and personalized opinion on which camera/lens combination suits you can only come from time spent in the field learning how to use a dslr, what style of photography you like and what you value in your equipmnt (weight, sturdiness, manual controls etc etc) and so on. Lastly, don't agonise over the decision; if you've saved up for it and so can afford it, just do it. You'll probably want to upgrade/change within a year anyway

Get out there, bro, and show us what you can do with your camera. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Maybe do an APAD project, like many of us do, just fir fun

Have you bought one yet?

Cheers, Ben
    Exactly Ben. That's what I feel too that for me to be able to make a very good decision on my own on which DSLR to buy, I need experience and this will only come from getting a DSLR and actually shooting. That's why I am going for the most popular brand of camera right now. I may change my idea of Canon later, I am flexible but not right now.

And no, I haven't yet bought one. Will inform you guys when I buy one.

And I forgot to add:

In responding to BnS ads, please try to bargin a bit. Most sellers will post the pricing above their desired selling price because they expect people to bargain.
    Thanks for the piece of advice. Will do that only.

Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    That's what I wanted to know. Whether it's worth buying it or not. Well, after reading your post, it seems to me that it will make more sense waiting for a few weeks and see if I get a decent 2nd hand 500D or even save a little bit and buy a new 500D. Thanks for your advice Daredevil and all those who have replied to my thread. 3 of my threads have garnered quite a few responses till now and I am glad to be part of such a nice community of photographers.
    i second on getting at least a d500. simply for the sensor reason.... 450D is so old...u buy now...u will have a hard hard time selling it when you want to upgrade....i reckon wait for 550D to come out before u jump into any canons.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    i second on getting at least a d500. simply for the sensor reason.... 450D is so old...u buy now...u will have a hard hard time selling it when you want to upgrade....i reckon wait for 550D to come out before u jump into any canons.
    Exactly what I just decided to do. Getting a 500D now. And since it had video recording, I'm still happier to wait and get a 500D. You are right, I will have a hard time selling it since I would have kept the camera for at least one year before considering upgrading.

TS - Happy shooting then~! There will be many ads in B&S after official launch of 550D. Typical and usual happening in almost every new camera launch.
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234