Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monitor to recommend?

Default Re: Monitor to recommend?

U2311H and 2209WA same price.

2209WA spec wise should be a better monitor but not Full HD.

Deregistered

Dell U2311H is the best high color accuracy panel under sgd400.
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1275291737

hi, sorry, im new to the photography scene, wanna ask the bros here if the Dell UltraSharpTM U2711 27"W Monitor, can connect to a macbook pro?

the Apple Cinema Display is simply too ex

I'm not a Mac user, but from the spec, the Macbook pro is able to connect to the U2711 in full native resolution. You'll need a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to get the full benefit. And from the web there are people who did that. Please see here. As far as I read, the LCD panel of the U2711 is the same one as the Apple 27", except that Apple uses LED backlight where as the U2711 uses CCFT.

Btw there is a special discount given by Dell on this monitor now. More info here.

Gosh I sound more and more like a Dell saleman.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    I'm not a Mac user, but from the spec, the Macbook pro is able to connect to the U2711 in full native resolution. You'll need a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to get the full benefit. And from the web there are people who did that. Please see here. As far as I read, the LCD panel of the U2711 is the same one as the Apple 27", except that Apple uses LED backlight where as the U2711 uses CCFT.
    Thanks for the extensive research ziploc!

The Dell 2408wfp is, in my opinion, the best monitor for the price right now. I haven't really heard about input lag being an issue on this monitor, but it may on the 2408 (non-PVA). It is lower on your price range also, so I would go with that for $600.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Kerastase
    Kerastase Reflection

Quote Originally Posted by sshayndell12 View Post
    The Dell 2408wfp is, in my opinion, the best monitor for the price right now. I haven't really heard about input lag being an issue on this monitor, but it may on the 2408 (non-PVA). It is lower on your price range also, so I would go with that for $600.
    2408WFP was replaced by U2410 months ago, Dell do not sell it anymore. if it still round, it would probably cost over $500. consider the U2311H is only $300, the 2408WFP is not that attractive. I think input lag is not at the top of the shopping list for ordinary user, probably the last on photog's mind.

for anyone buying a monitor for photo editing, get the U2311H and use the saving to buy a monitor calibration tools.

If you have the extra budget to spare.. the U2711 is very attactively priced now. ard S$900 after discount for a good IPS monitor, and quite future proof due to the number of input options.

After using PVA and IPS monitors for a number of years, my overall preference is firmly in IPS tech.

Over the last few days, 2209WA and U2311 has no price information on Dell's site. Maybe stock.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtlim View Post
    2408WFP was replaced by U2410 months ago, Dell do not sell it anymore. if it still round, it would probably cost over $500. consider the U2311H is only $300, the 2408WFP is not that attractive. I think input lag is not at the top of the shopping list for ordinary user, probably the last on photog's mind.

for anyone buying a monitor for photo editing, get the U2311H and use the saving to buy a monitor calibration tools.
    Wondering which calibration tool is good to calibrate U2311H

depends on how much effort and resource you want to put into using it... for a competent entry level system, something like the Spyder 3 express should be good

Hi, sorry but to OT a bit, is anyone using the samsung P2770HD or the LG W2753V-PF. How do they fare generally?

any monitor, mininmum 19". GLOSS. I suggest HP or Samsung.

I noticed that Mac monitor has a glossy surface while most other IPS monitors from Dell, Phillips, EIZO etc are using matt surface.. wonder why, is it due to the reflection?

I will prefer the gloss surface though, color and contrast seems to looked better, like the Mac. However, are there any non Mac IPS monitor with glossy surface?

glossy might look "nice", but "nice" doesn't necessarily mean "good"... and I define "good", in the case of monitors, as monitors that produce even, controlled colour and tonal reproduction...

if working on images, the monitor should be shielded from ambient light because you don't want reflections as well as light and colour pollution on the screen... and when you do that effectively, actually, you can't really tell glossy from matte... it's just that matte screens are more tolerant of reflection and light pollution than glossy screens because of the diffusion of the ambient light hitting the screen due to the matte finish...

Quote Originally Posted by KBeng View Post
    I noticed that Mac monitor has a glossy surface while most other IPS monitors from Dell, Phillips, EIZO etc are using matt surface.. wonder why, is it due to the reflection?

I will prefer the gloss surface though, color and contrast seems to looked better, like the Mac. However, are there any non Mac IPS monitor with glossy surface?

the advantage of glossy over matte--deeper black, higher contrast, more saturated colors, brighter and are sharper, basically everything PQ related.

the cons of glossy surface? just one, it reflect external light like any glass with smoother surface--mirror. the matte surface is created just for this cons--the anti-glare surface disperse light hitting the glass. unfortunately, it also scatters the light from the backlight, see the pros of glossy above. in addition, it reduce the already narrow viewing angle of LCD and the backlight from getting thru the surface--the matte notebook would have to suck more power to produce the same brightness as glossy's.

if you notice, some of the current LCDTV are using glossy panel to improve the black depth and viewing angle. if you can control the environment lighting, the glossy surface is most recommended.
    Last edited by kurtlim; 10th September 2010 at 09:04 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123