Thread: Interesting Facade of Fullerton Hotel

Default Interesting Facade of Fullerton Hotel

Hi all,
    I have posted this thread in the Landscape area.. but no C&C yet.. so posting up this pix to try my luck :P

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, Exposure and Framing

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Displaying an interesting interior facade of a building.. I like how the levels and the pillar by the right side leads up to the sky roof..

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Sunny day with sufficient sun light from the sky roof..

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    One of my favourites...

Default Re: Interesting Facade of Fullerton Hotel

one of those shots which would have benefited with HDR. More detail at the bottom and a nice blue sky through the glass roof. The pillar you mentioned is not obvious as well, with a bit more detail you can make it part of the scene and not just an "immovable object" intruding into the frame. White balance seems a little warm, would cool it down some.

anyway, nice capturing of shapes. shoot more!

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    one of those shots which would have benefited with HDR. More detail at the bottom and a nice blue sky through the glass roof. The pillar you mentioned is not obvious as well, with a bit more detail you can make it part of the scene and not just an "immovable object" intruding into the frame. White balance seems a little warm, would cool it down some.

anyway, nice capturing of shapes. shoot more!
    thanks for the comment... wats HDR btw??

High Dynamic Range imaging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
    Or in short, make your pictures look better.

You can get a trial version at http://www.hdrsoft.com/

I would have take this same angle in the evening.

cant comment. broken link.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    cant comment. broken link.
    ?? but i can view the pix..

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    I would have take this same angle in the evening.
    yea.. i agree that it will be nice to have some orange skies or if not blue skies with some clouds at the glass roof..
    but too bad the time tt i was there for my high-tea buffet is not rite :P

For framing, I feel the 'thing' on top right corner (the pillar?) is slightly distracting and add no value to the photo

Quote Originally Posted by krisietong View Post
    Hi all,

The skylight is overblown. The lower facade is too dark. Conmposition is so so. This is one picture that can improve with some hdr treatment. Other than that, it is just a simple common snap shot.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

practice makes perferct...

take care of the purple fringing in the highlights..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

I think this spot must be a fav spot for taking a photo of Fullerton.. I have the same pix with all the leading lines, pillar, et al. so I can see why you did it this way.

Like some of the other comments about lighting, I would have chosen either to expose the sky more correctly, or the ground area more correctly. Having only the mid point correct makes both ends look a bit incorrect. Did you play with the Recovery and Fill Lights also? Your other choice is use multiple exposure for a HDR pix.

i'll be honest here, to me the sky doesn't need to be intact here.

you can easily use it to your advantage if you so choose - there is no rule that says that a photograph must be correctly exposed with all details intact, loads of people deliberately overexpose to good effect, and i think this is not a bad effect here IF it came coupled with a good composition. it might even work synergistically in bnw.

the composition is awkward because random parts are chopped off abruptly - the roof, for example. is there really a need for the big black of black on the top right? moving left a wee bit would have removed it from your viewfinder and picture.

think, think, think before you shoot, think about what you are presenting. elements of a photograph can be taken away or put in at your will, you have the control, the power to do so - please use that to your advantage.

I think it's a nice shot but not a great shot. highlights on the top right are slightly distracting. more details would have been nice at the dark areas.

I checked back my old pix (jpeg direct from cam) not much better but in this case, I chose to expose the walls and lower areas more correctly and just let the sky (which has nothing anyway) blow out.