Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any idea why my CPU usage is always 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Acidentally install some program?

Have anyone uses web version of anti-virus scan? As we can see, these kind of program can access your deepest windows as long as they prompt u a certificate and u allow access. So, if these web-AV can open yr files in HDD and clean them meaning that someone can write some script that fake a utility or prompt that can write into your system without even u noticing and even if you are not in windows admin account.

Some of this pop-up says "[Enter] [Cancel]" are you not sure cancel doesn't do the same as enter? These prompt can be anything behind regardless of the name of the button prompt.

Also, if windows can install system files in non admin account simply by a pop-up prompt and not signing in the admin account(it's just a user/passwd not a real admin user signin unlike unix eg.), a script can be smart enuf to prevent the access control prompt by bypassing it.

There was this incident where I open a port temporary waiting for a friend to connect to it to play Fifa and while waiting abt 15min, my system was infected by a trojan. It suckup all the available memory and start to synflood my network trying to spread more.

How can I infected just by opening this port? Then I found the trojan and after doing some research, this trojan is able to emulate itself as a client connection protocol that keep scanning for this common port Fifa game use. One it find a fifa game with open port, it emulate as a client to connect itself and when the server start to accept data, it plant the code in the system but ofcos there is no real fifa game connection since it's faking it.

Just like that.

Ofcos I like Windows too. No point making MacOS or Linux to behave like Windows. While I do mostly in Linux, I have multiboot to Windows for games, MP3, scanning and for thing that windows does better. So, dun say I comdemn Windows

I like and use them all.

Hi Whoelse,

While you do most task in Linux, i assume you are doing things with Documents, Spreadsheets, presentation, web stuff. Do you have compatibility issue when u what to use those Linux files in a windows environment? So if you use the documents in a thumbnail drive from Linux, can u plug the same drive in windows and access them normally?

Is it easy for u to find driver for common devices like thumbnail drive, cf card readers etc...?

Thanks.
    Last edited by DennisLee; 19th March 2004 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisLee
    Hi Whoelse,

While you do most task in Linux, i assume you are doing things with Documents, Spreadsheets, presentation, web stuff. Do you have compatibility issue when u what to use those Linux files in a windows environment? So if you use the documents in a thumbnail drive from Linux, can u plug the same drive in windows and access them normally?

Is it easy for u to find driver for common devices like thumbnail drive, cf card readers etc...?

Thanks.
    No compatibility prob. cos linux support Windows FAT system. It can read or write even partition on my windows let alone thumb drive which I have use also. For NTFS, it is only readonly. So commonly, I have a data partition format for FAT and all my linux/windows/MAC will access that area for files. Ofcos MS Office is better then OpenOffice and I do my office stuff in windows. I use Linux for stability and speed. I have a broken notebook w/o screen which I installed Mandrake 8.2 2-3 yrs ago for my web album and it still running today. Never patch, never touch. It's a P166Mhz 48MB RAM, alive maintainance free.. Last time I use to install Win4Lin si I can run windows apps on Linux. Nowaday, just multiboot on same machine.

Do u noe even on Linux, when yr HDD fail, the system still run (cos kernel in RAM running) and only when there is file IO access, u get error msg. The system doesn't crash.

I have a server previously where HDD dead for 1 week and the machine still running apache but generate some problems so I take a look and realise the HDD is dead.

For Linux Journalist File system, many are proven FS that use in the mainframe enviornment eg the JFS which is the FS use in IBM AIX mainframe. XFS, FS use on Silicon Graphic system. I use XFS, it so robust that u can press reset button middle some something for 1000x and the system still come out surviving. For NTFS, if the FS corrupted then good luck...

Again, I like and use them all. So, dun say I comdemn Windows

Without windows, we never will have Linux.
    Without windows, computer will still cost average $4000.
    Without windows, our game still avail. only on console.
    Without windows, we still paying $800 for a box of wordprocessing sw.

Why ppl think Linux is difficult? Cos they get use to windows and as long as Linux dun feel the same or dunno the way the do things in windows then they say difficult.

Many Brand-A users told me Brand-B is difficult becos they get use to how Brand-A way of accessing features. Same.
    Last edited by whoelse; 19th March 2004 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks Whoelse for the info provided. I used to install Linux on my system many years back but realise that i couldnt find drivers for my video card, iomega drive etc, and commercial games are limited, if any at all. But Linux should be more efficient in doing real computer 'Work" like data crunching etc because i also uses unix at work.

I believe Linux has move ahead since the days i installed them. Actually they are behaving more and more like windows liao with the improved gui. But last time, it use to be that many things need to be done in command mode, eg mount drives etc... If it still happen now, then it may not be as user friendly as windows unless u r techie.

I hope Linux can be more popular in the consumer market so we have more options (and we acutually will even have many different makes of Linux to choose from) other than windows, but i guess the s/w market must support Linux for it to get popularised. But to have the s/w market support linux compatible s/w it takes Linux to be popular.... Guess we have a infinite loop here...

1 qn... many answers.. ur doom

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    1 qn... many answers.. ur doom

what do u mean?

Doom...sound scary...will i get ?

Dennis,

Since u've tried before, it's easier then.
    Grab a copy of Mandrake 10.0 and I assure u that your 90% of device will install and detect automatically. Major Distro release a new version every 6mth and Linux has come a long long way. Infact, I find it detecting/auto-installing some devices better then windoze.

The new Panther OSX is very fun too. Extremey fun.

Dennis,

Since u've tried before, it's easier then.
    Grab a copy of Mandrake 10.0 and I assure u that your 90% of device will install and detect automatically. Major Distro release a new version every 6mth and Linux has come a long long way. Infact, I find it detecting/auto-installing some devices better then windoze.

Last time i got mandrake 6.2... ok, will give it a try again....sounds exciting....hope the price is reasonable...

Mandrake 6.2 (@@)
    Think at least 8.2 lah, 6.2 is wat 1999-2000? (@@)

Redhat partly owned by M$ ....
    SuSE while good is in the hand of Novell ...

Mandrake has top RedHat and SuSE now and they have started to make $.
    Try it and u will be surprise that it has come a looooong way.

Mandrake 6.2 (@@)
    Think at least 8.2 lah, 6.2 is wat 1999-2000? (@@)

Redhat partly owned by M$ ....
    SuSE while good is in the hand of Novell ...

Mandrake has top RedHat and SuSE now and they have started to make $.
    Try it and u will be surprise that it has come a looooong way.
    ya, 6.2 and i got it around 1999, but i think it is SuSE (the chameleon?).

Hi Whoelse,

Thanks.
    Hmmmm..... my Suse 9.0 recognise my CF card reader and my 7 in 1 card readers as separate drives ..... they just recognise it as Win Fat / Fat 32 format drive.

Drivers not required. Accessing is normal

Ohhh yes... Panther is really fun... and extremely stable...

ya, 6.2 and i got it around 1999, but i think it is SuSE (the chameleon?).

Oh Suse 6.2 How I miss that old fella .... an old workhorse that never failed me .....

Anyway, I am using Suse 9.0 now ..... wait for a few months more for 9.1 that was being announced, show get it by Apr or May. 9.1 uses KDE 3.2 Desktop and improved Gnome support (Well, Novell bought it ).

It comes with 32 and 64 bit edition on one disk too, so when you get a 64 bit machine like the new AMD machine, you will not need to but 64 bit edition of the Software ......

It includes GIMP 1.2.5 and a Beta Version of 2.0 too . Takes good care of your graphical needs .

modenaslim , shows me 2 screeny :

1: processes-sort by cpu
    2: processes - sort by mem usage

we will talk then.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives
    modenaslim , shows me 2 screeny :

1: processes-sort by cpu
    2: processes - sort by mem usage

we will talk then.
    i thought he have already formatted his com?

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    i thought he have already formatted his com?
    yaya.. i formatted pc liao. the problem now become unknown..
    thread closed..
    thanks for all the advices..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12