Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

  1. #1

    Default posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    hi guys,

    Really need your expert advice in this matter. I need to upload my pics that I've recently shot RAW for my fb profile (converted it to jpeg already before uploading). When I did that, I find that the pics are abit pixelated and the colours are abit flat (as compared to the original pics on my com). Futhermore, the pics are super big when viewed. I think it's due to the resizing.

    So I did resize the pics to 800pixels (width or height). When I upload it again, the same problem arise. The pics are super big, pixelated and colours are a bit flat.

    Is there anything I can do to resize a jpeg converted to raw pic but yet preserve the details and rich colours as compared to the original pic view on screen? I using CS3 btw. Really need your advice in this. Thanks!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    er, i don't understand what you mean, if you resized, then they should be smaller.

    why would they appear larger? are you viewing ACTUAL SIZE in photoshop? or a zoom out version.

    facebook will compress your pictures significantly, this is because of facebook trying to save bandwidth. use something like flickr to keep the picture as it is. this is called compression, if you right click on the photos uploaded to facebook the file size is very small compared to what you uploaded.

    you are very garbled, i can hardly understand what you are saying. could you be clearer, please? type slower, rewrite it, whatever.

    you convert raw --> jpg , not jpg --> raw, so i'm not sure what you are doing.

  3. #3

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    er, i don't understand what you mean, if you resized, then they should be smaller.

    why would they appear larger? are you viewing ACTUAL SIZE in photoshop? or a zoom out version.

    facebook will compress your pictures significantly, this is because of facebook trying to save bandwidth. use something like flickr to keep the picture as it is. this is called compression, if you right click on the photos uploaded to facebook the file size is very small compared to what you uploaded.

    you are very garbled, i can hardly understand what you are saying. could you be clearer, please? type slower, rewrite it, whatever.

    you convert raw --> jpg , not jpg --> raw, so i'm not sure what you are doing.


    hi night86mare,

    Thanks for your reply. haha. ok, in short, i shoot raw -> did some pp -> convert to jpeg -> tried to upload pics to fb-> find pics pixelated -> i did resizing manually (just tried resizing it to 600pixels for either height/ width) -> upload again -> find pics pixelated and flat (when viewed, on fb, i feel that the size of pics are larger in size than it's suppose to be after resizing)

    I hope it's clearer now? Could it be the pics are from raw format? I don't have this problem previously when i shoot in jpeg and upload it after pp.

  4. #4

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Did u also put in a smaller 'resolution'?

  5. #5

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    erm , it could be the type of picture affecting the compression.

    for example, a picture with loads of oof things, e.g. a portrait would probably experience less degradation than a landscape with sharp detail throughout the picture.

    no, i do not think jpg from raw or jpg direct would make a difference, seriously.

  6. #6

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    erm , it could be the type of picture affecting the compression.

    for example, a picture with loads of oof things, e.g. a portrait would probably experience less degradation than a landscape with sharp detail throughout the picture.

    no, i do not think jpg from raw or jpg direct would make a difference, seriously.
    night86mare,
    im uploading studioshoot pics actually. normally what do you do before uploading yours? maybe i missed a step?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Did u also put in a smaller 'resolution'?
    hi redmonsoon,
    can you elaborate further? smaller resolution when resizing in photoshop?? hmmm i didn't see that option when resizing leh... can advise??

  7. #7

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Quote Originally Posted by fagedidudade View Post
    night86mare,
    im uploading studioshoot pics actually. normally what do you do before uploading yours? maybe i missed a step?
    nothing special, i just resize it to double the size of final size (1400 pixels wide if 700 pixels wide is final aim), sharpen it once, and then resize it to 700 pixels.

    then i save to web, that's about it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Maybe u can post both the pic from FB and the one from your com. FB does degrade pic quality.

  9. #9

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Quote Originally Posted by ishou80 View Post
    Maybe u can post both the pic from FB and the one from your com. FB does degrade pic quality.
    yah maybe i should... ok will post it tonite... in office now lah... haha


    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    nothing special, i just resize it to double the size of final size (1400 pixels wide if 700 pixels wide is final aim), sharpen it once, and then resize it to 700 pixels.

    then i save to web, that's about it.
    you use cs3 also??

  10. #10
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    o.o.i heard of a resizing on fb, but its my first to hear abt pixelation. when big pictures go small, THEY DUN GET PIXELATED. u get loss of detail maybe.

  11. #11

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    o.o.i heard of a resizing on fb, but its my first to hear abt pixelation. when big pictures go small, THEY DUN GET PIXELATED. u get loss of detail maybe.
    allenonhart,
    yes i agree with you. Theres loss of detail. That explains why the colours are quite flat as compared to the original. Pixelation wise, as mentioned, I tried to resize it down but then upon posting it, i find that the pic is bigger than it should be. So maybe that causes the pics to be a bit pixelated too... donno whats wrg...

  12. #12

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Facebook has increased their image size to 720 pixels, so ensure your final output is at the correct pixel size.

    http://www.formfunction.co.za/2010/0...e-upload-size/

  13. #13

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    when u convert from raw to jpg, did u set ur colorspace profile to SRGB instead of ARGB?

  14. #14

    Default Re: posting pictures on facebook or any webpage...

    Facebook is ok to post casual snaps, or for the serial snap-happy poly girls. For hosting pictures that you are proud of, find an actual photo host.
    Alpha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •