Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: need help with stability

  1. #1

    Default need help with stability

    hi all, recently got my pentax kx, been playing around with my new toy for a couple of days, and i always got the problem with the shutter speed; when the auto-exposure function or I myself set it to anything around 1 sec or higher, there always is a blur caused by minute shaking of my hand when i press the shutter button, any1 here knows how to counter this blur? i turned on anti-shake already

    i know the best solution would be to purchase a tripod, but in some cases where a tripod is unavaliable for use (eg: space constraints), any1 here got any good tips on how to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s? thanks all in advance

  2. #2

    Default Re: need help with stability

    If its a low light situations and you need the shot, use manual mode, incease your ISO and open up your aperture to the biggest example f4.5 or f3.5 (if you have 2.8 lens or 1.4 lens the better). You sure will get the shuuter speed increase by few stops. For the anti-shake, the loweset shutter speed you can go is about 1/15 sec or 1/20 sec. More than 1sec, it can't work.

    Or another best way you can do is to put your camera on a fix stable area to shoot your subject since you can't use tripod.

    If flash is able to use it, then just use your inbuilt flash.

    cheers
    Last edited by afipuffy; 6th March 2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Shoot and shoot and shoot
    Every shoot is a puzzle to the world of photography...

  3. #3
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    hi all, recently got my pentax kx, been playing around with my new toy for a couple of days, and i always got the problem with the shutter speed; when the auto-exposure function or I myself set it to anything around 1 sec or higher, there always is a blur caused by minute shaking of my hand when i press the shutter button, any1 here knows how to counter this blur? i turned on anti-shake already

    i know the best solution would be to purchase a tripod, but in some cases where a tripod is unavaliable for use (eg: space constraints), any1 here got any good tips on how to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s? thanks all in advance
    Welcome to CS
    You did not mention what lens you were using, what aperture you were shooting at and what are you shooting. As you have already answered your own question, that there's always a blur caused by minute shaking of your hands when you depress the shutter at 1 sec or higer.
    Try depressing the shutter button with your finger while holding the camera steady. The only thing that moves is your tip of your finger. Tuck your arms close to your body & control your breathing or lean on something to support your hands or body. A tripod will be helpful. If due to space constrain, just use one leg of the tripod & use it as a monopod
    Take the shot!

  4. #4

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    hi all, recently got my pentax kx, been playing around with my new toy for a couple of days, and i always got the problem with the shutter speed; when the auto-exposure function or I myself set it to anything around 1 sec or higher, there always is a blur caused by minute shaking of my hand when i press the shutter button, any1 here knows how to counter this blur? i turned on anti-shake already

    i know the best solution would be to purchase a tripod, but in some cases where a tripod is unavaliable for use (eg: space constraints), any1 here got any good tips on how to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s? thanks all in advance
    1 second or higher, unless you are braced you will most definitely have handshake.

    use a tripod.

    with space constraints, lean on something, take a deep breath and hold your breath before taking the shot. and support the camera properly, it should be alright, given enough tries.

  5. #5

    Default Re: need help with stability

    You have to understand why you need the 1~2 seconds. Is it for extra light or to create effects?

    If to make the picture brighter, either open up the aperture or pump iso and even both if cannot use flash.

    Sometimes no choice and simply must use flash. If you have extra cash, may want to invest in fast lens.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  6. #6

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Hi all, thanks for all your replies,

    actually im using the dual lens kit provided (18-55mm / 50-200mm) DAL lens, the reason why i need the long shutter speed is when i capture night shots, because the aperture cant go very low, i think it was f4.5 or something like that, and i rather not set my ISO beyond 1600 as the pic would be very noisy

    otherwise, thanks for all your tips on how to capture clear shots, will try and experiment tonight, still quite new to holding a DSLR proparly haha

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: need help with stability

    definitely would need a tripod bro, especially for anything less than 1/10 as the bros here have said.
    Canon 6D | Sony A7II w Metabones IV | Lenses and Flash

  8. #8

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    Hi all, thanks for all your replies,

    actually im using the dual lens kit provided (18-55mm / 50-200mm) DAL lens, the reason why i need the long shutter speed is when i capture night shots, because the aperture cant go very low, i think it was f4.5 or something like that, and i rather not set my ISO beyond 1600 as the pic would be very noisy

    otherwise, thanks for all your tips on how to capture clear shots, will try and experiment tonight, still quite new to holding a DSLR proparly haha
    if thats the case then u'll definitely need a tripod for now....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  9. #9

    Default Re: need help with stability

    For shuttle speed 8 and below you definely need a tripod.
    Olympus Evolt E510 14-42mm - 40-150mm Zuiko ED
    flickr

  10. #10
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Hi TS,

    If you tripod is a constraint, would you wish to make a simple tool to help you remove handshake in your pictures?

    Other members would already have known or seen this, but you'd need the following:

    - a piece of string long enough so as to be the height from the floor to level of your camera
    - a washer
    - a 1/4" bolt
    - a beanbag (optional)

    Here is a video link to show you how to use the above items to make a simple makeshift tripod that you can carry in your closed palm!

    HTH.

    Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Hi TS,

    If you tripod is a constraint, would you wish to make a simple tool to help you remove handshake in your pictures?

    Other members would already have known or seen this, but you'd need the following:

    - a piece of string long enough so as to be the height from the floor to level of your camera
    - a washer
    - a 1/4" bolt
    - a beanbag (optional)

    Here is a video link to show you how to use the above items to make a simple makeshift tripod that you can carry in your closed palm!

    HTH.

    Cheers!
    That only minimizes handshake but not eliminates it. The string constrains only 1 degree of movement (vertical). The camera can still easily move left or right. It's sort of like using a monopod. Now... which serious
    photographer uses a monopod for a shot of 1 to 2 secs?
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    That only minimizes handshake but not eliminates it. The string constrains only 1 degree of movement (vertical). The camera can still easily move left or right. It's sort of like using a monopod. Now... which serious
    photographer uses a monopod for a shot of 1 to 2 secs?
    But would you agree that it reduces the handshake risk? Unless you've been running a marathon or a sprint, it should be able to help. I'm trying one for myself, but for me, the length of the string/cord is short, cos as you've made me out to be Charles Xavier! Lol.

    Will let you know if it works on me.

    Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  13. #13
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: need help with stability

    oh... definitely there's a reduction in the severity of the hand-shaking affecting the final image. It certainly helps, I don't deny that. Though for a 2 second exposure, I think whatever movement there is will still be visible.
    Exploring! :)

  14. #14

    Default Re: need help with stability

    auto timer 10secs lolx

  15. #15
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by zichuan View Post
    auto timer 10secs lolx
    How does that help with stability?
    Exploring! :)

  16. #16
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    hi all, recently got my pentax kx, been playing around with my new toy for a couple of days, and i always got the problem with the shutter speed; when the auto-exposure function or I myself set it to anything around 1 sec or higher, there always is a blur caused by minute shaking of my hand when i press the shutter button, any1 here knows how to counter this blur? i turned on anti-shake already

    i know the best solution would be to purchase a tripod, but in some cases where a tripod is unavaliable for use (eg: space constraints), any1 here got any good tips on how to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s? thanks all in advance
    Mirror Up? Think a cable release or remote trigger will make ur problem goes away.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Mirror Up? Think a cable release or remote trigger will make ur problem goes away.
    the problem is that TS doesn't want to use the tripod in some situations.
    Exploring! :)

  18. #18
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHum View Post
    hi all, recently got my pentax kx, been playing around with my new toy for a couple of days, and i always got the problem with the shutter speed; when the auto-exposure function or I myself set it to anything around 1 sec or higher, there always is a blur caused by minute shaking of my hand when i press the shutter button, any1 here knows how to counter this blur? i turned on anti-shake already

    i know the best solution would be to purchase a tripod, but in some cases where a tripod is unavaliable for use (eg: space constraints), any1 here got any good tips on how to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s? thanks all in advance
    Ultimately, the crux of the matter is the phrase I enlarged...
    You want to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s.
    If you want the image to be very sharp, you need to satisfy 3 criteria:

    1) The objects in your frame should not move at all in the 1-2seconds that the shutter is open.
    2) The camera should not move at all in the 1-2 seconds that the shutter is open.
    3) Your subject should remain in-focus throughout the 1-2 seconds that the shutter is open.

    If you can achieve all 3, particularly point #2, without the use of a tripod... then hats off to you
    Exploring! :)

  19. #19
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1 second or higher, unless you are braced you will most definitely have handshake.

    use a tripod.

    with space constraints, lean on something, take a deep breath and hold your breath before taking the shot. and support the camera properly, it should be alright, given enough tries.
    agreed. 1 sec and higher ur asking for it.

    the general rule of thumb is:
    1/60 of the sec is the slowest.

  20. #20
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: need help with stability

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Ultimately, the crux of the matter is the phrase I enlarged...
    You want to capture clear shots at shutter speeds of about 1-2s.
    If you want the image to be very sharp, you need to satisfy 3 criteria:

    1) The objects in your frame should not move at all in the 1-2seconds that the shutter is open.
    2) The camera should not move at all in the 1-2 seconds that the shutter is open.
    3) Your subject should remain in-focus throughout the 1-2 seconds that the shutter is open.

    If you can achieve all 3, particularly point #2, without the use of a tripod... then hats off to you
    okkies. to keep it simpler for this one. since u directed it like tat.

    use a tripod.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •