Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I look out for when buying a 2nd hand DSLR?

Default What should I look out for when buying a 2nd hand DSLR?

Hi all. I am new to photography and to CS also. I have been seriously considering buying a DSLR since quite some time and now I'm finally ready to make my entry into this fascinating world!

So, I've decided to buy a DSLR. However, I don't have the required budget to buy a new one right now since I'm still studying. Hence, I'm buying a 2nd hand DSLR. I've been checking the ads on CS for the last 2-3 days and I think I am going to buy a Canon 450D or in worst case scenario a Canon 400D. I just want to familiarise myself with a DSLR and all the lens stuffs first with a 2nd hand one before buying a new one later when I am working hopefully.

So, I don't really know what to look out for when I am buying a 2nd hand DSLR apart from the shutter count. Can you all advise me on what I should look out for?

I would really appreciate your input! Thanks!
    Last edited by wizz747; 5th March 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Default Re: What should I look out for when buying a 2nd hand DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by wizz747 View Post
    Hi all. I am new to photography and to CS also. I have been seriously considering buying a DSLR since quite some time and now I'm finally ready to make my entry into this fascinating world!

So, I've decided to buy a DSLR. However, I don't have the required budget to buy a new one right now since I'm still studying. Hence, I'm buying a 2nd hand DSLR. I've been checking the ads on CS for the last 2-3 days and I think I am going to buy a Canon 450D or in worst case scenario a Canon 400D. I just want to familiarise myself with a DSLR and all the lens stuffs first with a 2nd hand one before buying a new one later when I am working hopefully.

So, I don't really know what to look out for when I am buying a 2nd hand DSLR apart from the shutter count. Can you all advise me on what I should look out for?

i think this has been discussed before you might want to did a search on cs forum.

i use a handphone or furniture to quote a example what do you look out for when getting a 2nd hand?

I think its quite save to get a 2nd hand camera which is the 2nd newest on the line because there is lots of ppl getting cameras for less than a year because they would "change" the moment a new model comes out. look out for snatches on the lense if u are getting as well.

If you're not sure, then definitely get one with warranty. You may need to increase your budget slightly for a 500D kit (or 1000D). I think it's impossible to find 450D with warranty.

hi there,

i'm a newbie too, also quite recently i bought a 2nd hand dslr, i think there's a thread which tells u what to look out for. it mentioned something like u take a pic of a white piece of paper and then u magnify it and then u see on the lcd if there's any funni images or stuff like that, that is if i nv rem wrongly.

the other time when i bought mine, the owner allows me to do a thorough check and even blanja me a drink at a cafe while he give me an intro to photography lol!

btw 2nd hand eos400d is pretty cheap and i tot it might be good for newbie. of coz no warrenty though.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    hi there,

i'm a newbie too, also quite recently i bought a 2nd hand dslr, i think there's a thread which tells u what to look out for. it mentioned something like u take a pic of a white piece of paper and then u magnify it and then u see on the lcd if there's any funni images or stuff like that, that is if i nv rem wrongly.

the other time when i bought mine, the owner allows me to do a thorough check and even blanja me a drink at a cafe while he give me an intro to photography lol!

btw 2nd hand eos400d is pretty cheap and i tot it might be good for newbie. of coz no warrenty though.

Hi Kenny,

Wat a nice guy you met..

Eh, honestly I am a newbie... so in the end I bought brand new due to 2 reasons.
    1) For the warranty... skali really suay suay after few use spoil then will have to spend $$ to repair which might ended up as gd as buying a new one.

2) If u buy new and in the end upgrade, as least still won't lose out so much if u sell it off.
    Nikon D90 | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | 55-200mm f/4-5.6 | 35mm f/1.8G | 50mm f/1.8D

there are various 2nd hand sony DSLRs with warranty for sale. Reason is because Sony had a promotion last yr, which offers 2 1/2 yrs warranty, so alot of ppl who bought during that time and when they sell away their camera its still under warranty. So if u are really keen, u can look out at the buy and sell forum. Quite easy to find one with warranty.

Sony DSLRs are pretty cheap too 2nd hand. Ive seen Sony A300/330 (similar spec with canon 500D) with kit lens sold for less than $500.

I myself have sold away Sony A100 with lens for just $360 2 days ago (A100 is similar spec to Canon 450D), and I saw someone selling A100 without lens for $300.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659626

I saw Konica Minolta 5D (Konica Minolta is the parent of Sony Alphas) being sold for just $250.

So if u want, its best to buy a cheap one to play with, then sell away in future. If u buy something which cost $250, u can even make a profit sometimes when u sell it away. Definately wont be selling at a loss, since there's no way to sell a DSLR any cheaper . Or just keep it as a spare body, since its just $250 only.

Alternatively, a brand new Sony A230 with kit lens is darn cheap.

Street price around $600-620, comes with 8 GB memory stick, Sony DSLR course (Sony gives free DSLR course to all new sony alpha owners) as well as a $100 Isetan voucher (can give ur mom to buy food etc).

So essentially its like paying $500 only for a brand new A230 + lens. 15 Months warranty btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlionel View Post
    Hi Kenny,

Wat a nice guy you met..
    lol ya i didnt expect that, i was expecting like just a few mins kinna thing where he pass it to me and deal or smth. it turn out to be a good experience lol! but too bad he has no time for photography due to his work.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    Alternatively, a brand new Sony A230 with kit lens is darn cheap.

Street price around $600-620, comes with 8 GB memory stick, Sony DSLR course (Sony gives free DSLR course to all new sony alpha owners) as well as a $100 Isetan voucher (can give ur mom to buy food etc).

So essentially its like paying $500 only for a brand new A230 + lens. 15 Months warranty btw.
    I din know new Sony DSLR's came so cheap man! I'll check that out tmr when I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    there are various 2nd hand sony DSLRs with warranty for sale. Reason is because Sony had a promotion last yr, which offers 2 1/2 yrs warranty, so alot of ppl who bought during that time and when they sell away their camera its still under warranty. So if u are really keen, u can look out at the buy and sell forum. Quite easy to find one with warranty.

Sony DSLRs are pretty cheap too 2nd hand. Ive seen Sony A300/330 (similar spec with canon 500D) with kit lens sold for less than $500.

I myself have sold away Sony A100 with lens for just $360 2 days ago (A100 is similar spec to Canon 450D), and I saw someone selling A100 without lens for $300.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659626

I saw Konica Minolta 5D (Konica Minolta is the parent of Sony Alphas) being sold for just $250.

So if u want, its best to buy a cheap one to play with, then sell away in future. If u buy something which cost $250, u can even make a profit sometimes when u sell it away. Definately wont be selling at a loss, since there's no way to sell a DSLR any cheaper . Or just keep it as a spare body, since its just $250 only.
    I need to do a quick search on Sony DSLR's before deciding whether to get a Canon or Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by sci80899 View Post
    If you're not sure, then definitely get one with warranty. You may need to increase your budget slightly for a 500D kit (or 1000D). I think it's impossible to find 450D with warranty.
    Yes, I'm looking for one with warranty itself.

Btw can anyone tell me a reliable store/retailer from where I can buy new Sony DSLR's?

For Sony go to MS Color or Cathay Photo. Get an e-quote from their website first and you will get the best price.
    A580| A300|18-55|55-200|18-250|50F1.8|30F2.8 Macro|35 F1.8|

Alright. I'll check that out too. Thanks! Anyone can suggest some more shops/stores so that I can compare prices?

Alright. I'll check that out too. Thanks! Anyone can suggest some more shops/stores so that I can compare prices?
    SLR Revo in Funan is very good too. Cathay tends to be a *bit* more ex. I'd stick to MS Color (talk to Florence directly) or SLR Revo.
    Alpha

i would choose MS colour and SLR revo for camera bodies.

MS colour sells slightly cheaper lens, and they give discounts when u buy body and lens together.

but if just buying body (or body with kit lens), i think SLR revo will be slightly cheaper (by maybe $10-20)

U should give them a call before heading to the shops. Sometimes, the price quoted by phone is cheaper than walk in prices...
    Last edited by torak; 6th March 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    SLR Revo in Funan is very good too. Cathay tends to be a *bit* more ex. I'd stick to MS Color (talk to Florence directly) or SLR Revo.
    Alright, thanks man. Who is Florence btw?

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    i would choose MS colour and SLR revo for camera bodies.

MS colour sells slightly cheaper lens, and they give discounts when u buy body and lens together.

but if just buying body (or body with kit lens), i think SLR revo will be slightly cheaper (by maybe $10-20)

U should give them a call before heading to the shops. Sometimes, the price quoted by phone is cheaper than walk in prices...
    Sure, I'll give them a call tmr! Thank you for the piece of advice.
    Last edited by wizz747; 6th March 2010 at 01:44 AM.

Default What do I need to check when buying a 2nd hand DSLR?

Alright guys, I am interested in buying a 2nd hand DSLR. Those who have replied to or even read my previous 2 threads will know it.

The thing is, what do I need to check when buying a 2nd DSLR? Can you provide me with a step-by-step guide about what to check and HOW? Cos I'm a complete newbie (as most of you may already be knowing) and this is gonna be my 1st DSLR.

Default Re: What do I need to check when buying a 2nd hand DSLR?

Anyone can pls help?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do I need to check when buying a 2nd hand DSLR?

Alright guys, I am interested in buying a 2nd hand DSLR. Those who have replied to or even read my previous 2 threads will know it.

The thing is, what do I need to check when buying a 2nd DSLR? Can you provide me with a step-by-step guide about what to check and HOW? Cos I'm a complete newbie (as most of you may already be knowing) and this is gonna be my 1st DSLR.
    There is a guide in a thread somewhere in CS already. Just do a search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast