Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Risk - Quiting your current job to pursue photography

Default Re: The Risk - Quiting your current job to pursue photography

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    he really has a passion about it.
    i think it is also very important to determine whether the passion is a short-lived 三分钟热度 type, or a long-lasting one.

obviously the latter would justify a change of job, etc..

also, kultchris, maybe you should get your brother to read through some of the professionals' accounts of what encompasses a photography job. it isn't exactly like that of the life of a hobbyist, who has the leisure to shoot what they want, happy happy got client approach to buy what they already have, then they sell. that kind of sale happens maybe once or twice a year, at least for particular genres.

when you do photography as a job, if the client says that he wants photos that are to his liking, but are not to your liking, you have to suck thumb and do. if the client says that what you thought is the best way to do it is absolutely horrible, despite how many kor kor and jie jie on clubsnap give thumbs up, and give thumbs down to what your client wants, you have to seethe and do it his way.

that is something very important to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    he is young, should give it a try. no harm trying. life is all about risks. you will never know how far you can go unless you start to do it.
    The idealistic answer is jump into it and pursue your passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Maybe he should choose a less demanding job with lesser pay so that he can have the time to take up photography seriously.
    The pragmatic answer is to have a fallback plan and immerse one foot into your passion until you are steady.

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    50 years ago, everybody can afford to write, only that fraction of a percent became writers.
    now everybody can afford a camera, only 0.0n% can make a living out of it.
    so what's the chance?
    The conservative answer is to ask yourself whether you are good enough to be amongst the best out there. Otherwise, forget it.

I think it also depends on your family background. If daddy is well off and can support your brother even if he fails, then go for it. My bro-in-law graduated, worked in the hospitality industry for a short while then decided to go into business on his own. Fortunately for him, daddy had the capital to help him get started, he made some money initially but eventually went into losses (more than a million) where daddy helped him tide through for some time before asking him to cut loss and call it quits.

I am a pragmatic guy. I'll dip my foot into something and try it out part-time before I make my decision to go headlong into it. Part-time means sacrificing .... and one must be willing to sacrifice to pursue one's passion so that when you take a fall along the way, you know you are tough enough to pick yourself up and do better or get on with life.

What is your brother's character? Can he take the hardship? Is he a fighter? Is he confident? It takes a lot to succeed in anything and elements such as optimism, resiliency, talent, hardwork and logical reasoning, etc are necessary before any success can be achieved.

Cheers!

Why not ask your brother to participate and let us know his doubts ( if any ) over here instead of you be the middle person.

Blog Entries

at 25, his responsibilities should be relatively light......... success or fail, he should just follow his heart

"Better to have loved and lost than not loved at all"

If I was in my early to mid 20s again...... I'll do some things differently that i did not do due to taking and making typical 'safe' decisions

p/s shoot part time paid assignments and see how he likes it first ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 6th March 2010 at 03:25 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

...sounds like a romantic, whimsical and idealistic notion of a photography as a career.....a newbie...venturing into a red ocean. If he is really serious to learn and devlop, then go get a job as photographer's assistant...get to see the real world of professional photography and at teh same time...learning the ropes and acquiring the skills.....very few are natural who just jump in and become successful....especially in today's context in this field....its no longer a blue ocean....or go and study photography full-time, get a degree in photography or something...

appreciate all advise guys.

I guess he wont just "jump" into being a full-time photographer.

He is just thinking of switching to either a part-time job or probably change to a job with shorter working hrs.

He is currently working really long hrs . he goes out early in the morning say abt 7 plus ? and usually only return home abt 10 + , 11pm.

I will get him to read all the advise and replies here when he is free to come online,

Once again, thank you all for the kind advise.

Cheers

can see many people are gradually doing that...

it is not about right or wrong, it is about a clear distinction between a hobby and a career.

do know that photography and photographers are of very different tone when it comes to business and profits.

I did think of going to taiwan after ns to pursue a photography course. But after reading this, guess I should just get a proper job and stay put in sg.

i will go china .. those works are amazing

Did not mention about how much his bro is getting with that long hours of works.
    Assuming under normal working condition, his bro should be paid overtime with CPF contribution as well. That is actually not too bad under current situation, better than being laid off.
    Do not make hasty decision, weighs all the pros and cons.

I have the same thoughts when I was 30, but today, i'm still doing other things, and i'm burning out fast....

I still have the passion in photography, but wife not working, so I don't have any choices but continue to do what I do.

if he have the PASSION (not interest, must be burning passion), I encourage him to go for it.

Once settle with family and kid, may not be possible to switch tracks anymore.

-------------------------------------------
    I'm the Dark Side, Join Me and Complete Me.

One more thing, we being the typical singaporean - tends to take the safe route, calc risk, etc....it's restricting ourselves...sad.
    -------------------------------------------
    I'm the Dark Side, Join Me and Complete Me.

Hey...I am thinking of getting away from a corporate environment and do something more leisurely. If anyone is looking for an assistant to watch over models, someone to lug along an expense paid travel shoot, anything. Let me know.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 24th June 2010 at 07:07 PM.

At 25 with not much commitment.. I will say go for it.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kultchris View Post
    My younger bro have always had a keen interest in photography.

He is currently 25 yrs old and working.

Just last week while we were chatting, he asked me if he shld quit his job, get a part-time job and concentrate on learning photography.

His current job requires him to work long hrs and normally by the time he is home he would be too tired, thus does not really have much time to pursue his interests.

He has a DSLR but didnt utilize it much . Most of the times he use it to photograph cats ard the neighbourhood when he is free.

As i am not much of a risk taker, I actually advised him against doing so.

Just like to seek the opinion of fellow clubsnappers here.

Have u guys ever taken such a risk ?
    Do what you love and love what you do

He should try to become a pro within 4 years.

If he cannot become a pro at 29, it means he have no talent.

Better get a full time job and practice photography during the weekend as a hobby.

hobby don't put food on the table
    passion is not enough to pay the bills.

=) think hard and long

Your brother should realize that it is VERY different to photograph commercially than photograph as a hobby. If he gets into commercial photography, he could end up hating it and giving up photography as a whole. So ask him to think about that before anything else
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how long is long?

what about the weekends?

someone once told me when i said that sometimes i got too busy to shoot - he said "there is always time to shoot, it's just whether you choose to squeeze it out or not."

i do not know what job your brother does, but other than the really long hour jobs like investment banking, certain accountancy jobs, law... based on the standard office job in singapore, there *is* time.
    i agree, if you really have the passion to shoot, definitely you will give it a time out of your busy schedule.i myself usually shoot every Sunday(sometimes Saturday night)
    but i dont give excuse that im too busy or im tired, coz im really enjoying photography

all the best for your bro

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    Your brother should realize that it is VERY different to photograph commercially than photograph as a hobby. If he gets into commercial photography, he could end up hating it and giving up photography as a whole. So ask him to think about that before anything else
    Agree. On the other hand, if one really loves it and passionate, then work becomes a joy rather than a chore.

Still, unlike my "hobby" which happens to IT and is much in demand (at least back when I started work - even though my parents wanted me to go into Engineering), photography is more niche and when really no money coming in, then dunno how long passion can outlast chore.

I don't think i will take photography as a job.....because i only shoot what i like to shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast