Thread: Obama signs bill to entice foreign travelers to US

Default Obama signs bill to entice foreign travelers to US

Sorry guys but everybody's favorite President has just signed a bill to charge visitors to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program to pay USD $10 to enter the USA. How nice [sarcasm intended].

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama has signed a bill creating a program to promote the U.S. as a premier tourism destination for international travelers.

The U.S. Travel Association calls it a major step in addressing the drop-off in such visits to the U.S. during the past decade. The association says the U.S. welcomed 2.4 million fewer overseas visitors last year than in 2000. And that, the group says, has cost it an estimated $509 billion in total spending and $32 billion in direct tax receipts.

Government and private industry would evenly split the program's costs, with Washington contributing up to $100 million a year. That money will come from a $10 fee paid by foreigners who do not pay for visas to enter the U.S.

Default Re: Obama signs bill to entice foreign travelers to US

how interesting... they should find out why tourists don't want to come to US anymore... it's not because they do not know US or there is not enough programs to entice but more of the measures they put in post 9-11.

Now.. they want to "penalize" those who are still going there so that they can entice more people? VERY smart idea!!! they will risk more decline in numbers... also, I wonder if they will charge the Canadians and Mexicans... haha. Maybe that is the target group they wanna make $$$ off.
    Fine print - Anything I posted is strictly my own point of view :)