Thread: People who buy from eBay....

Default People who buy from eBay....

For those who buy from eBay, have you come across American sellers who will like to keep the product in US? I wonder what is the mentality of these people and what is the rationale behind such a move. I mean it is either you own the product or you don't. Does it matters where the product is being sold to as long as you are paid?

I have been fustrated by so many sellers from US who only want to sell to people in US. I don't see this happening for EU or Asian sellers?

Isn't it better to have a worldwide large pool of potential customer rather than limiting to just the US continent. Are American buyers necessarily offering more in terms of bidding price, more trustworthy in terms of transaction and payment? Or is it just blind patriotism, must benefit another american kind of thing.

I cannot understand the logic behind this. Does anyone knows why?
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 5th March 2010 at 01:57 AM.

Default Re: People who buy from eBay....

shipping is their main trouble!!!

but why be bothered with this when you can always use vpost USA to ship to singapore?

The reason I usually hear from US sellers, is that for foreign parcels, they need to fill in many forms at the post office which they don't want or don't have the time for.

Another reason is that they don't want the hassle of what to do if a parcel gets lost.......

US shops are another group, I understand that some shops are not allowed to sell outside the states, as they don't have a license to do so.......

HS

shipipng is one thing,

scamming is another.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    shipipng is one thing,

scamming is another.
    Right again as usual my friend.

It's a lot easier to sort out quibbles, lost packages, supposed lost packages, scammers, etc, within the same geographical boundaries, across only one delivery system.

There is also an inherent fear (some of it justified) when dealing specifically with some countries... I'll not name any but just pick a random, really obscure, not necessarily 3rd world country, maybe with a background of corruption, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauche View Post
    but why be bothered with this when you can always use vpost USA to ship to singapore?
    They would want a confirmed Paypal address which is linked to your credit card, not even P.O. Box

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    The reason I usually hear from US sellers, is that for foreign parcels, they need to fill in many forms at the post office which they don't want or don't have the time for.

Another reason is that they don't want the hassle of what to do if a parcel gets lost.......

US shops are another group, I understand that some shops are not allowed to sell outside the states, as they don't have a license to do so.......

HS
    If it is a license thingy, then they should have just state so. I don't know about USPS but using UPS/Fedex/EMS are straight forward. Just fill in form, weigh, pay and that's it. how difficult can it be. It is the same trip to the same post office. Parcels do get lost even if it is US con as well.

shipipng is one thing,

scamming is another.
    too bad that some blacklist Singapore too.

Incidentally, I remember when I was selling my 85PC lens some while back, there was one other out for sale by someone from Singapore who was shipping internationally, but absolutely and steadfastedly refused to meet in person to do the deal, even if the buyer was local. I vaguely remember an enquiry by someone else from Singapore I think, who offered to take it if he could pick it up, flatly refused.

This person had decent feedback too... go figure. As far as I'm concerned this was very alarm bell-y, but there you go. Might well be on CS too...

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Right again as usual my friend.

It's a lot easier to sort out quibbles, lost packages, supposed lost packages, scammers, etc, within the same geographical boundaries, across only one delivery system.

There is also an inherent fear (some of it justified) when dealing specifically with some countries... I'll not name any but just pick a random, really obscure, not necessarily 3rd world country, maybe with a background of corruption, etc.
    i think tracking to singapore is quite expensive, from the uk.. and it only lets you know when it leaves the uk and reaches the destination and is signed over. that's airsure for royal mail.

not sure about dhl or the other alternatives like parcelforce, but i think there's no real point, since eventually all potential savings would be overrun by the excessive shipping costs. how likely is that?

This person had decent feedback too... go figure. As far as I'm concerned this was very alarm bell-y, but there you go. Might well be on CS too...
    These blacksheeps are definitely not doing the genuine buyers any favours. I am eyeing 2 exotic lenses and has been refused because I am not in US.

i think tracking to singapore is quite expensive, from the uk.. and it only lets you know when it leaves the uk and reaches the destination and is signed over. that's airsure for royal mail.

not sure about dhl or the other alternatives like parcelforce, but i think there's no real point, since eventually all potential savings would be overrun by the excessive shipping costs. how likely is that?
    Whether it is USPS or Royal Mail or any other tracking, they only give you vague description of arrive at Post, leave port, arrive at destination kind of tracking. It doesn't tell you it is being held up at Customs, at which exact GPS location, time to arrival, etc.

Well, for some things that you can't get otherwise. Shipping it in is the only option.

Shipping overseas is hard to trace. And when the buyer says that he has not received anything on his side, while the seller said that he's already sent his stuff... who's to take the blame?

Some parcels from overseas takes 3-4 weeks to arrive... lots of things can happen in between, especially since you're not able to keep track of the parcel.

You can always try to get a friend in the States to send it over to you..

Similarly I've noticed that Sg luxury watch sellers on eBay won't/can't deal with Sg buyers ... ?

Well, the EU has the same trouble with US sellers...
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/847191/0
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    These blacksheeps are definitely not doing the genuine buyers any favours. I am eyeing 2 exotic lenses and has been refused because I am not in US.

Whether it is USPS or Royal Mail or any other tracking, they only give you vague description of arrive at Post, leave port, arrive at destination kind of tracking. It doesn't tell you it is being held up at Customs, at which exact GPS location, time to arrival, etc.

Well, for some things that you can't get otherwise. Shipping it in is the only option.
    Tracking of mail has got nothing to do with expensive or not, it is just that for normail airmail (registered or parcel), their tracking system usually is separate to the EMS courier system, and once a parcel enters another country it gets a new tracking label, and enters that country tracking system. If that countries system is not linked to the Singpost one, you can't track online. BUT you can track it by asking the post office here or in the other country, they have to do a manual tracking.........

EMS courier has their own tracking system, and you can track online, see if it has left customs and such......

For FedEx and other courier system off course you can track online

On eBay there is a discussion forum on sending Internationally......go read that

As for local sellers that don't want to meet up in person, strange yes, but I think it is because they want to sell right away and don't want to deal with fuzzy buyers who back out of the deal when they already agreed to buy it, that's what I can think off, you know from reading Clubsnap how difficult it can be to sell to local buyers.......

And many US sellers are just horrified by the idea of sending a parcel worth a few hundred dollars overseas for a few weeks.......

As for scammers mentioned here: if the payment is done through Paypal, what is there to scam? It is usually the other way, when someone pays through Paypal and the article doesn't arrive, or was not sent at all.........this is why I always use a credit card for payments (this can usually still be reversed)

In my years on eBay, I had been scammed 6x and all by US sellers....go figure

ManWearPants: for those sellers who put that they don't send overseas in 'Other Info>Ships to' window, BUT do not specifically state in their item description, I always asked them politely if they are willing to ship overseas, to Singapore.......many times they are willing to do so, it is just that the default setting for ebay USA is set at USA only.....

Unless, they specificaly state 'no International bidders', then the only way is to ask them if they can send to the US address for vPost or to a friend in the states. Some sellers are aware of this vPost and state so.....

As for (confirmed) address in Paypal: you can always change the sending address in Paypal to one that the seller can send to......if you want to buy a gift for someone else, or if the seller send to a US address only.

HS

Thanks all for your insights. I am just ranting cause I am fustrated at that point of time. Looking at the link posted by Zichar, I am not alone. I guess some people in US just want to alienate themselves, or work to their advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    As for scammers mentioned here: if the payment is done through Paypal, what is there to scam? It is usually the other way, when someone pays through Paypal and the article doesn't arrive, or was not sent at all.........this is why I always use a credit card for payments (this can usually still be reversed)
    You sell me a lens. I pay by Paypal. You send lens. I receive lens. I put in a claim that I never received lens. Or received a small brick.

Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that this is one hell of a headache to have made infinitely worse by the fact that someone is halfway around the world and in a different jurisdiction.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/The-Italia...00000004864136

There's nothing to say that it's more likely to happen in Italy than somewhere else, but I guess people (again, rightly or wrongly), trust their own postal system more.

There's also evidence that Paypal's claim system is a joke, and several people on this forum will attest to that even if I can't personally.

You sell me a lens. I pay by Paypal. You send lens. I receive lens. I put in a claim that I never received lens. Or received a small brick.

Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that this is one hell of a headache to have made infinitely worse by the fact that someone is halfway around the world and in a different jurisdiction.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/The-Italia...00000004864136

There's nothing to say that it's more likely to happen in Italy than somewhere else, but I guess people (again, rightly or wrongly), trust their own postal system more.

There's also evidence that Paypal's claim system is a joke, and several people on this forum will attest to that even if I can't personally.
    The problem with Paypal is that they are the 'Merchant' if you use a credit card for payments....so any reversal done through a credit card, they will have to reimburse the credit card bank, and your account will be put 'on hold'........(as what happened to the guy in your link)

This is why for big value items always sent by EMS courier with signature requirement, this is your only proof that you did send the item......

Whether Paypal will believe you is another question.......(as you rightly said, that there could have been a brick inside), but come on this is so rare, from the many transactions I have done through eBay I have not (yet) received a brick...

I did receive some items not as described or deliberately the seller didn't show all info in the pics......these were years ago, bought some useless films (they were copy 4x5 film instead of normal Ektachrome slide 4x5 film)

But generally by experiences were nice! Don't let the few unhappy moments spoil your eBay experience, due your own due diligence.......

HS

how about recorded deliveries?

that's what i do for anything more than 10 pounds.

anyways, i'm quite disgusted with ebay, they make you receive payment via Paypal, that's a cut for them there already when the seller makes payment to you... and then eBay charges you again for the final value of the product sold.

that's fine for small ticket items, 20 pounds with 3 pound postage, 2 cut to paypal (roughly) , 2 pounds to ebay, that's 4 gone from a 20 pound sale.

now imagine the bigger items.
    Last edited by night86mare; 7th March 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Use VPOST US address to work around the non international shipping.

VPOST have a US Address you can send to and vPOST will send it back to Spore.

https://www.vpost.com.sg/vpostusa05/index.html

Use a US Bank (Citibank) CCard helps too or paypal will do too. ....

I am not very sure about the total shipping cost though ... some US ebay seller shipped free ...

What I do more of the time is send it to my USA Hotel address 2 weeks before I arrive and the hotel staff will gladly safe keep for me.

Open hotel room ... all my goodies are waiting for me ...

8-)