Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Iron anyone? I know this is not a fitness forum

Default Re: Pumping Iron anyone? I know this is not a fitness forum

Quote Originally Posted by likimikuku View Post
    might need to add more cardio but leg
    might just add a section every 2 weeks, i hate leg workout.
    will be hard to walk the next day.

mind to share you leg workout ?
    As night86mare pointed out, your legs are you biggest muscles, so if you want to burn the most calories/energy, use the biggest muscles. I.e. scooter vs tank... think the tank will burn more fuel to travel the same distance.

Every work out, I try to do leg exercises (squats, leg press, leg extension/curls etc). As I have injured my knees doing sports before, I need to keep the muscles strong. It seems like you also have knee issues too, so strengthening your leg muscles could be extra beneficial.

In my view, there are 2 parts to it - food and exercise.

Food - TS seems to say that he has no control over it. But, he still can consciously do something about it. Like removing the skin of chicken, duck or goose or ostrich. Like cutting away the fat part of the beef or mutton or pork etc.

Exercise - aerobic exercise or cardio got to be combined with weights.

Notice that men above 30 tends to grow a belly. Once grown, it is an uphill task to get it off. That is why we see more men than woman looking like they are 4months pregnant all the time.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Notice that men above 30 tends to grow a belly. Once grown, it is an uphill task to get it off. That is why we see more men than woman looking like they are 4months pregnant all the time.
    Men tend to store fat differently than women... men in the gut, women in their thighs and butt.

Good morning everyone,

Update on yesterday back workout, able to rush back to base camp (our company accommodation) and have my small dinner (sardine, rice and some vegetable). Got myself 15min rest after dinner and it is 8pm.

Anyway here is my back workout yesterday:

Lat Pulldowns = 3 sets, 20/12/8/5, 30kg/40kg/50kg/60kg

1 Arm Dumbbell Row = 3 sets, 12/10/12/8/12 reps, 12kg/15kg/12kg/20kg/12kg, (no rest or maybe 10 sec)

Deadlifts = 3 sets, 12/10/8 reps, 20kg/30kg/40kg
    Cardio = 20min bike

I did try to add on more weight but I am just not used to the weight yet, so above only the weight I managed in good form, any additional weight might just hurt me.

Since I not able lift heavier, I try to add more reps on each workout.

Total workout time 50min ~ 60min
    So, guys…lets share your workout for yesterday…

If you want to get fit, lose weight, lose fat and very likely get a 6-pac (yes, its already there underneath the layer of fats), you need to do more cardio and watch your diet.

1. Cardo - min 30min/day
    Best if you can do 1hr, but this needs to build up gradually. Start with 30mins cardio. Its ok to stop in between cause its hard for the 1st few months (depends on how long you have been stagnant).
    Conservatively, and as rough guide, you burn 100cal per 10min exercise. But remember that 2 roti prata is something like 600cal. So such things are out of the menu (ALWAYS!)

2. Diet - No/Low fat foods and be carb conscious. No need for any other fancy diet like Atkins (ie. No carb); Just keep the fat in take low and eat roughly 1 serving of carb per meal. 1 serving of carb is roughly the amount made up when you cup yours hands together.(Wheat bix, Plain Cornflakes, Oatmeal work wonders here)

Don't even think about having a hard workout and 'pampering' yourself with a nice meal. As mentioned above, the 30min workout only burnt off 300cal, which helps only to maintain the weight or burn off a bit of fat. Easily, 2 cups of milo above the usual diet and your workout is for nought.

If you only eat and do weights, you can get strong and bulk up, but still look fat. Well at least friends or those who don't want to offend will say you 'Tau Jiat' (ie. big size)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by pinholecam; 5th March 2010 at 03:04 PM.

since most of the bro here suggest me to do more cardio, am totally agree.
    i guess today workout will be leg and more cardio.

may be some biceps.

Ah, seems like some experts in here.
    Good for me because I have a question regarding work out.

If my goal is only to lose weight (from 200lbs to 160 lbs, would that work if I run/jog ONLY (on threadmill) ?
    So far Im doing 30 mins run/jog and 30 mins walk with high inclination, those burn me around 700 cal everyday.
    Then (ocassionally) light lifting (35lbs each hand, 3x10 reps) and light sit-ups (3x20 reps). The light lifting and sit-ups is only to give me little definition on my body instead of just plain skinny.

Thanks guys...
    Last edited by hsw21; 6th March 2010 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hsw21 View Post
    Ah, seems like some experts in here.
    Good for me because I have a question regarding work out.

If my goal is only to lose weight (from 200lbs to 160 lbs, would that work if I run/jog ONLY (on threadmill) ?
    So far Im doing 30 mins run/jog and 30 mins walk with high inclination, those burn me around 700 cal everyday.
    Then (ocassionally) light lifting (35lbs each hand, 3x10 reps) and light sit-ups (3x20 reps). The light lifting and sit-ups is only to give me little definition on my body instead of just plain skinny.

Thanks guys...
    yes, of course, pure cardio will help with losing weight. let's think of it this way, if i am crazy enough to sprint for 24 hours, without eating anything.. assuming i survive, you bet i would have lost significant weight after that due to caloric expenditure far exceeding caloric intake.

the trouble is whether you are overdoing it. assumign that you are eating the same amount before you started your weight loss programme, and that no other things change, chopping 700 cals a day is generally not a good thing to do.

one might argue that the body might end up going into what is known as starvation mode, where it consumes muscle as well as fat, so you end up losing muscular mass as well, which ends up lowering your resting metabolic rate. this is also why diets do not work well - once you're off them, hey presto, the pounds start getting packed on again, with even more vengeance.

i suggest that if you plan to do such a high cardio-orientated program you do adjust your diet to include more "clean" calories (e.g. complex carbohydrates, or chicken breast or lean beef, healthy fats like peanut butter) to allow for a more gradual cutting down.

either that or you could drop the cardio and ramp up your weight programme slightly. definition of muscles is dependent on two things - low body fat and muscular mass. if you have low body fat and little muscular mass you won't look muscular, if you have a lot of muscles but it is coated with a happy layer of fat the same thing applies.

i am not sure which stage you are at, but even what is known as a "maintenance" weights programme where you simply do not pile on more weight and self-stagnate is important to ensure that the muscles are still stimulated and your body does not get rid of them because it thinks that they are not needed.

i'm not sure if i explained this properly..

Thanks for the reply..
    Yeah Im not knowledgeable in fitness stuff. So you are saying what Im doing right now is actually not good ?
    I changed my diet to oatmeal except I eat normal meal/food at lunch (only).
    Any advice about what should I do better ? Maybe just do the 30 mins run/jog, light lift and light sit-up part only, and not doing the high inclination walk, and everything else remains the same ? This will do just around 400 cal.
    Thanks again

To OP: sorry to hijack your post, I promised, just this one question. Thanks
    Last edited by hsw21; 6th March 2010 at 07:06 AM.

hiya...
    anyone goto california fitness @ bugis? maybe can workout together.

Thanks for the reply..
    Yeah Im not knowledgeable in fitness stuff. So you are saying what Im doing right now is actually not good ?
    Any advice about what should I do better ? Maybe just do the 30 mins run/jog, light lift and light sit-up part only, and not doing the high inclination walk, and everything else remains the same ? This will do just around 400 cal.
    Thanks again

no worry bro, as i posted/started this thread, i was hoping someone to share their problem or question, so that we all can learn.

as for me, i am facing the same problem as you. overweight!!

i try to get some weight lifting and some cardio, mostly 20min cardio per workout.
    to me, i believe cardio will be the best to burn off some fat.
    but do not think weight training will only gain mass, to Asian like me. Is hard to gain mass, so, it also help me burn fat.

i am trying to add more cardio in the meantime.

may be try get more info from other individual workout as a reference and try it. there might be some program that might suit you.

Ok, let’s share!!

This is my yesterday workout, not doing too well as I was tired and my knee is killing me.

Squats = 3 sets, 10/10/10 reps, only using bodyweight, tried to using barbell with weight around 20kg and my right knee felt sudden pain, sharp pain, hence stop immediately to prevent injuries.

Hamstring curls = 3 sets, 12/10/10 reps, 20kg/25kg/25kg.

Quad raises = 5 sets,12/12/12/10/8, 20kg/25kg/30kg/40kg/50kg, I was checking how much I can lift in good form and end up doing so many sets, 50kg was my max and start to getting out of form in rep 5 or 6

One leg calf raise = 3 sets, 10/8/8, 9kg/9kg/9kg, not doing well as I worried about getting cramp on my calf.

Knee raise(muay thai style) = 3 sets, 1 min for each set and 30ces rest, I tried to calculate how many time my knee raise, 1st set around 60++, 2nd set around 50++, 3rd set around 20++. I hardly can raise my knee on the 3rd set..good burn!!

Sit-up time, (cable crunch 10 reps (30kg)/ normal sit-up 10reps/ lay down leg raise 10 reps) x 2 sets

“Step machine”(is this the right name??) = 5min

Finally, treadmill = 20min speed walking (6km/h).

What is yours yesterday workout, please share!!

yo bro, angola? way to go man... hope it's not dangerous job though.

my left knee has some problem as well, but all the more you should train them. stick to curls and raises first if it still hurts. it's more controlled and less likely to get hurt. when you have better quads and hamstring muscles then go for squats.

my take is for your case lose weight first. concentrate on cardio and the major muscle groups.

Thanks for the reply..
    Thanks again

yeah, you seem to be training for athletic activity rather than anything else..

in any case i suggest 30 min run/jog + weights before, not after. and not light weights, i.e. weights where you can do more than 15 reps happily and do until 100.. otherwise they serve no purpose really.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    yo bro, angola? way to go man... hope it's not dangerous job though.

my left knee has some problem as well, but all the more you should train them. stick to curls and raises first if it still hurts. it's more controlled and less likely to get hurt. when you have better quads and hamstring muscles then go for squats.

my take is for your case lose weight first. concentrate on cardio and the major muscle groups.
    Nothing dangerous, just defusing boom and some search & destroy. LoL…

Actually I am a Quantity Surveyor working with Korean company.
    Yup, working on curls and raises to get my leg stronger 1st and will get more cardio

hi bro, so what are u trying to achieve now?

Last time i was 54kg when i was dancing, realised i was too skinny and decided to get bigger. That did not last long, i went to gym, more like those gym hoggers whom go to gym with a group of friends for 4 hours and get no muscle done. I stopped gyming about 3 years ago but my weight went up naturally, should be fats as did not work out, only run.

Last June ,I saw my friend whom was very very shinny once in secondary sch, after not seeing him for a long time, think about 2 years, i was impressed and shocked how big he grew. So he gave me motivation to train and i started again on June 2009, within 1 month - 2 months, there was obvious difference in the chest area as i kept on training the upper body. Thing was, i wanted to hit the 70kg mark. I am 1.71cm . On June 1st 2009 i was 67kg exactly. I trained and trained and ate more than usual but sitll could not hit the 70kg mark, as i have a high metalolism body. I was desperate last year to gain weight that per meal average ( eg chicken rice - add 3 extra bowls of rice and add extra meat ) and still unable to gain weight. So i resorted to Whey Protein + eating of course to gain weight. (Was contemplating between mass gainer and whey protein but after researching about those i felt that i will benefit from Whey more as for m thoughts, the protein would help me mor OVERALL rather rather than consuming Mass gainer as Mass Gainer = More carbohydrats, much lesser protein, where actually i can get carbo from rice and ntural food sources. I used the whey the other time was to gain weight as the 1st priority , rather than healing muscles(2nd priorty). And alas, i manged to hit the 70kg mark with the help of the whey.

For the 1st few months of wrong traning exercises, the muscles will definitely grow of course, as there is not much in the first place. Momentarily if u are doing the wrong exercises for longer than a period of 4months, there will not be much growth at all, nor will u see it. So best is right from the start, train and exercise the right and proper way so that you will maximise muscle growth in the same amount of time.

Just sharing my thoughts here.

This was my friend's size before he started body building about 2 years ago.

Now this is his size. back lat spread

Hes really dedicated and passionate into bodybuidling equivalent to my photography passion, so thats how great he grew in a short period of timee.
    cheers
    kn
    Last edited by knpan; 7th March 2010 at 02:40 AM.

Saturday workout

chest:

bench press:

Barbell:
    Flat=3 sets, 12/10/8, 40kg/50kg/60kg
    incline= 3sets, 12/10/10, 40kg/50kg/40kg
    decline= 3sets, 10/10/10, 30kg/30kg/30kg

dumbbell:
    flat= 3sets, 10/10/10, 15kg+15kg for all 3 sets
    incline= 3sets, 10/10/10, 12kg+12kg for all 3sets

try to do decline dumbbell press, but i am wore out...need to keep my strength for sunday outing with coll to beach..

anyway, how your workout??

Quote Originally Posted by knpan View Post
    hi bro, so what are u trying to achieve now?

Last time i was 54kg when i was dancing, realised i was too skinny and decided to get bigger. That did not last long, i went to gym, more like those gym hoggers whom go to gym with a group of friends for 4 hours and get no muscle done. I stopped gyming about 3 years ago but my weight went up naturally, should be fats as did not work out, only run.

Last June ,I saw my friend whom was very very shinny once in secondary sch, after not seeing him for a long time, think about 2 years, i was impressed and shocked how big he grew. So he gave me motivation to train and i started again on June 2009, within 1 month - 2 months, there was obvious difference in the chest area as i kept on training the upper body. Thing was, i wanted to hit the 70kg mark. I am 1.71cm . On June 1st 2009 i was 67kg exactly. I trained and trained and ate more than usual but sitll could not hit the 70kg mark, as i have a high metalolism body. I was desperate last year to gain weight that per meal average ( eg chicken rice - add 3 extra bowls of rice and add extra meat ) and still unable to gain weight. So i resorted to Whey Protein + eating of course to gain weight. (Was contemplating between mass gainer and whey protein but after researching about those i felt that i will benefit from Whey more as for m thoughts, the protein would help me mor OVERALL rather rather than consuming Mass gainer as Mass Gainer = More carbohydrats, much lesser protein, where actually i can get carbo from rice and ntural food sources. I used the whey the other time was to gain weight as the 1st priority , rather than healing muscles(2nd priorty). And alas, i manged to hit the 70kg mark with the help of the whey.

For the 1st few months of wrong traning exercises, the muscles will definitely grow of course, as there is not much in the first place. Momentarily if u are doing the wrong exercises for longer than a period of 4months, there will not be much growth at all, nor will u see it. So best is right from the start, train and exercise the right and proper way so that you will maximise muscle growth in the same amount of time.

Just sharing my thoughts here.

This was my friend's size before he started body building about 2 years ago.

Now this is his size. back lat spread

Hes really dedicated and passionate into bodybuidling equivalent to my photography passion, so thats how great he grew in a short period of timee.
    cheers
    kn
    wow!!!

he has "wing"... i think he can "fly" with that back.

i see u do not have good workout plan

why not try a 5x5 workout
    do a search ..

What do you mean that this is not a fitness forum?

Just attach a Bazooka zoom lens to your DSLR and benchpress that everyday!

Alternatively, hold your camera with only one hand instead of two.

Try shooting like that and you'll have biceps to rival Arnie's in no time at all!
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast