Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you need good lens to take good pictures?

Default Re: Do you need good lens to take good pictures?

Hi, Considering 15-85mm kit among other kit lens. Does the cost 1.2K worth it or get cheaper kit for 550D

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i understand, but different people have different requirements.

i'm a hobbyist who doesn't own a office building where i need to blow up the picture big big to print on a banner to hang on the building...... the problem is the context here, and the underlying answer to his question depends on the attitude, i guess.

do you think sigma 10-20 is a good lens? if you want to be anal, the corner sharpness is horrible even at f/8. but understanding your equipment will also overcome the technical aspects and limitations, if you ask me, e.g. avoiding placing key elements at the corners, which also has the added bonus of being beneficial to composition.

WK, you got a valid point there

..let be more objective, again for discussion sake (iím killing time right now)

this eq doesnít make sense at the moment but feel free to teak as much as possible

Photo Quality = [ photographer skill]*0.03 + [lens Q] * 0.02 + [sensor Q]0.02 + [immeasurable variable such as artistic value]*0.02 + [ unknown = σ] *0.01

Pg Skills = exposure, dof, cb, and etc exclude the artistic value(user dependant)

Lens Q = tool dep.

Sensor Q = tool dep.

Artistic value = subjective and user dep.

Unknown = could be purpose of the pic i.e competition, commercial, personal and etc

In order to solve this eq/question, we need to solve the unknown

assuming TS is the only test parameter(only pg) hence Photographer Skill becomes irrelevant, if he is good high mark etc,
    sensor Q= irrelevant assuming using the same camera.
    artistic value= subjective hence very user dep in this case irrelevant since we are dealing with the same pg.
    As for σ = ????

So now we only dealing with lens Q, high Q higher mark etc

PQ = [ photographer skill]*0.03 + [lens Q] * 0.02 + [sensor Q]0.02 + [immeasurable variable such as artistic value]*0.02 + [ unknown = σ] *0.01

Does this make sense? yes/no..

Bear in mind there are diff type of PG it could be for = Competition, Commercial, Exhibition and Personal grade. Of course if you want to enter competition you probably wanna be very critical on every technical and artistic aspect and the reverse is true for personal purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by KAE123 View Post
    WK, you got a valid point there

..let be more objective, again for discussion sake (iím killing time right now)

this eq doesnít make sense at the moment but feel free to teak as much as possible

Photo Quality = [ photographer skill]*0.03 + [lens Q] * 0.02 + [sensor Q]0.02 + [immeasurable variable such as artistic value]*0.02 + [ unknown = σ] *0.01

Pg Skills = exposure, dof, cb, and etc exclude the artistic value(user dependant)

Lens Q = tool dep.

Sensor Q = tool dep.

Artistic value = subjective and user dep.

Unknown = could be purpose of the pic i.e competition, commercial, personal and etc

In order to solve this eq/question, we need to solve the unknown

assuming TS is the only test parameter(only pg) hence Photographer Skill becomes irrelevant, if he is good high mark etc,
    sensor Q= irrelevant assuming using the same camera.
    artistic value= subjective hence very user dep in this case irrelevant since we are dealing with the same pg.
    As for σ = ????

So now we only dealing with lens Q, high Q higher mark etc

PQ = [ photographer skill]*0.03 + [lens Q] * 0.02 + [sensor Q]0.02 + [immeasurable variable such as artistic value]*0.02 + [ unknown = σ] *0.01

Does this make sense? yes/no..

Bear in mind there are diff type of PG it could be for = Competition, Commercial, Exhibition and Personal grade. Of course if you want to enter competition you probably wanna be very critical on every technical and artistic aspect and the reverse is true for personal purpose.
    No make sense. But I'm lacking a degree from MIT, so it could just be me

PS Always account for variable change.

I don't think there's a need for good lenses to take good pictures.. decent lenses are enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    No make sense. But I'm lacking a degree from MIT, so it could just be me

PS Always account for variable change.
    no problem bro...neither i'm. anyhow, i gonna patent this eq
    bet u this topic will pop up again now and then..

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    I don't think there's a need for good lenses to take good pictures.. decent lenses are enough.
    again for discussion sake...maybe you will like to elobrate just a little but more though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234