Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you need good lens to take good pictures?

Default Re: Do you need good lens to take good pictures?

Aiyah...no need to argue.

TS's question, no matter how vague, was a simple question:

Do you need good lens to take good pictures?

ANS: YES.

Add: Any lens that gets the job done for me is a good lens. Most of the time, it's not the most expensive, fastest 1.2 nor the most luxurious simik 'L' or 'ED' lens.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 4th March 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yo! if you have this typewriter, can you write the same like the it original owner??

Cannot!

I only goot writing 40 or 50 page scripts in longhand. Rag paper and fountain pen. Wooden pencil also can.

TS is looking to buy this lens in BnS

Cosina 28-105mm /2.8-3.8 (canon mount)

Can you take good pictures with this lens? (Asking on behalf of TS since he already dissapeared )

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    good pictures have theme, carry message, communicate thoughts..... just like a novel

just imagine if one day a student ask his teacher during class,

student: teacher, please tell us how to write good composition..
    teacher: first you must have good paper, something like Conqueror paper at least 210gsm, second, you need to have a good pen, at least a Parker, best is Montblanc......
    Bingo. That's exactly what I mean.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    TS is looking to buy this lens in BnS

Cosina 28-105mm /2.8-3.8 (canon mount)

Can you take good pictures with this lens? (Asking on behalf of TS since he already dissapeared )
    If the lens is working, then why not?? Of cos he needs a working camera too...

to answer TS's question, the answer is no. as rashkae has pointed out it is the person behind the camera.

on the debate on what makes a good photo is subjective. everyone has their own definition of what a good photo is. it also depends on what context it is assessed in.

take your friends' pictures posted on facebook.

this picture was taken with a PNS and received comments like "This is such a great pix!", "Looking good girl!" and "13 people like this". then again if you had posted that picture in Clubsnap Critique Corner, you will get comments like sky is overcast, too much sky, side table and the 2 ladies in the background are distracting, legs are cut off.

so does this qualify as a good picture?

do you need a good lens to take this picture?
    Last edited by pokiemon; 4th March 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtm78 View Post
    Do you need good lens to take good pictures? Is f-3.5 enough?
    you need good compositional skills to take good pictures...
    Why so serious... Son?

i would agree to a large extent that the person who is behind the camera is more important than the camera. well, it's all depending on one's creativity and expression..

wooo... didnt expect a simple question becoming a philosophical debate on photography..

to me a good picture is simply, distinctive colours, defination, composition, artistic, etc.

what i mean was, is f 3.5 good enough to produce a good, sharp picture, forgetting about the photographer behind the camera.

btw what is TS?

btw what is TS?
    You.

The thread starter.

Blog Entries

NO
    and good night....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

wooo... didnt expect a simple question becoming a philosophical debate on photography..

to me a good picture is simply, distinctive colours, defination, composition, artistic, etc.

what i mean was, is f 3.5 good enough to produce a good, sharp picture, forgetting about the photographer behind the camera.

btw what is TS?
    ok, since your definition of good picture which content in the photo is irrelevant, that's fine.

now don't even don't count on the photographer, that is even much simple, as long the lens and camera in mount on tripod and focusing is set properly, anyone can just press the shutter to make a clear and sharp photo.

is this answer you are looking for?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

btw what is TS?
    ts = threadstarter.

er, then answer is no lor, so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Do not redirect the topic of the thread. To do so is also known as trolling.
    i don't think kae123 is a troll, his pictures speak for himself.

i think in particular for landscape photography a certain demand for sharpness is required.

like i said, it depends. the lens that does the job you want to do is a good lens.

if need to print 4r, anything goes, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by KAE123 View Post
    NM,

maybe his Q a bit vague.
    for e sake of discussion let simplfy the Q but excluding composition and artistic value and let focus on the technical quality attribute by the lens alone.

I think i good sensor and good lens(not the most expensive OC) are essential for the top notch photo.

as you already know not all lens flaw can be fixed.
    i understand, but different people have different requirements.

i'm a hobbyist who doesn't own a office building where i need to blow up the picture big big to print on a banner to hang on the building...... the problem is the context here, and the underlying answer to his question depends on the attitude, i guess.

do you think sigma 10-20 is a good lens? if you want to be anal, the corner sharpness is horrible even at f/8. but understanding your equipment will also overcome the technical aspects and limitations, if you ask me, e.g. avoiding placing key elements at the corners, which also has the added bonus of being beneficial to composition.

whoa i just stepped into the hobbyists' school of philosophy.

but to add to the swathe of generic metaphors - it's akin to buying a $10,000 dollar Gibson electric and expecting to play killer licks in an instant, with no prior knowledge.

so much input i also dunno what else to add but ..

Is f-3.5 enough?
    yes my most used lens for landscape / panoramas only has max aperture of f3.5

ryan

btw what is TS?
    Ahh here you are. Welcome back to your thread

And the answer is NO

NOpe...vibrant colours,composition and good eyes will do just fine and appeal to the masses...but a good/expensive lens will make other ppl ard envy you...so when u whipping out those guns with those yaya look, i will be there to 'shoot' your yaya face..

And that is a gd pic, my fren!! Hahaha.Just Kidding.

I would like to see it in a different way.

To get good pictures, you need the right or suitable tool, the lens that fits the purpose.

For general purpose and travel, the kit lens would do fine. Or an all-in-one superzoom.

For close up, a macro lens.

For wild life, birds, a long lens. A cheapo 70-300 might not get you as good results as those big guns. But then, handling such lenses is another ball game altogether.

For portraits, most folks would use large aperture prime lens. The result - only one eye is sharp and the rest blur. The back ground might be so blur that you cannot see if the pic was taken in a rubbish dump or in a nice beach.

Folks would start with a kit lens and progress from there. Borrow friend's lens to try. Check out the galleries, ask what lens you use if you find the picture good.

Some take as long as 10years to build up their arsenal; others would fill their drycab within a year with used gear....

Some spend their time, buying and selling gears in the hope of collecting the perfect set.

Some spend their time learning and experimenting to improve their skills and knowledge.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast