Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 106

Thread: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    ....does 1DMk1 counts? obviously the whole scenario is skewed.....but then again there are many so called profesional here who go around commanding high fees but deliver ...er lobsters....(avoiding the plural of a four letter cousin).

    ..for really fabulous coverage...equipments and manpower cost money, which is why good professional command big money...e.g Gary Fong etc? I know of a friend's daughter who got married a while ago paying 5-figure sum for such coverage, involving a team of pros...whom met up and did pre-wedding site-visits and coordinate with the wedding planner.

    Basically, a photographer should take on jobs within his/her means, likewise a big elaborate wedding require photographers at a different level...couples need to pay for what they expect....
    Last edited by Danntbt; 6th March 2010 at 07:12 AM.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    but then again there are many so called profesional here who go around commanding high fees but deliver ...er lobsters....(avoiding the plural of a four letter cousin).
    Err what, crabs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    Basically, a photographer should take on jobs within his/her means, likewise a big elaborate wedding require photographers at a different level...couples need to pay for what they expect....
    Just take a look in the services section and see how many people are offering quality on a budget, who have maybe half a dozen wedding pictures in their portfolio.

    Or some who are "more established" and shoot almost anything and everything but have like, sports pictures from one event, wedding pictures from one wedding, event pictures from one event, no pictures from commercial photography despite stating they can shoot it... the list goes on.

  3. #43

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I have 1 Series (donch worry my beemer is 7 series I is not teh nub), I have f0.01 lens, I have 2.8-700 lens, so zomg that means in the eyes of the law and everyone else I must be teh pr0z.
    when stopped by security guards you wave the lens around over your head and tell them that the lens costs more than 3 times of their monthly salary?

  4. #44

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    ....does 1DMk1 counts? obviously the whole scenario is skewed.....but then again there are many so called profesional here who go around commanding high fees but deliver ...er lobsters....(avoiding the plural of a four letter cousin).
    i think if you use a pentax, you will be good photographer.

    just kidding!

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when stopped by security guards you wave the lens around over your head and tell them that the lens costs more than 3 times of their monthly salary?
    4.







    (moar characters)

  6. #46
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    The autofocus ring on my lens can rotate at a maximum of between 50 to 60 RPM though in manual focus mode the maximum RPM increase exponentially to around 1000 RPM, is that considered fast or slow?
    1K RPM, think your rubber or plastic focus ring should be gone case by now. No wonder she can only afford 18-55 with such speed

  7. #47
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think if you use a pentax, you will be good photographer.

    just kidding!
    From my POV, "judge" is a canon fan. Non canon will instantly get pawned by the "judge"

  8. #48
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    The whole problem is in Singapore it's quite the reverse and this will if anything encourage the situation rather than dampen it.

    I have 1 Series (donch worry my beemer is 7 series I is not teh nub), I have f0.01 lens, I have 2.8-700 lens, so zomg that means in the eyes of the law and everyone else I must be teh pr0z.
    How much you selling for the F0.01 glass. Interested in trying out. Think except the bribe's 1 pimple, the rest are all OOF

  9. #49
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)


  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I agree with you; I don't find the picture bad at all, since it is an actual day wedding shot, don't expect every shot to have uncluttered background or razor sharp. The color photo that was shot outside was good.

    The judge didn't even saw the blown up photos(22x32) from the client, and he can make the final judgement?



    ;
    Hmmm.... Your standard quite low, I do hope you're not a pro.

    Not trying to be critical here, and I'm not bias that Pro must have 1-series or 3-series or what, but it's about respecting your own profession. As a photographer for people's once a life time event, there is certain responsibility beyond just the $ you're receiving. Even if the skill wasn't there, the sincerity & effort got to be there in the first place. Not sure about what lens, what is f-stop, available lighting, pict sharpness, and worse, print from Walmart ??? If the client is paying US$400, then I would say the customer is cheapo and asking for it. $1500 may not be a lot, but is reasonable and require reasonable effort and quality.

    From what I see from the video clip, don't even need to blow up, I can do better then that with a P&S. Next someone would say why must pro use DSLR ?? Why can't they use an IXUS ? How about iPhone, that should be good enough ? Some line need to be drawn here.

    I am not a pro, but I did help friends weddnig day shot, FOC. Even then, I would make sure sufficient shot were make, and only the good one were selected and shown. With Digital, how hard is that ?

    And for $1500, for goodness sake, rent a 17-55/2.8 IS, and a prime. How hard can that be ?

  11. #51

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Hmmm.... Your standard quite low, I do hope you're not a pro.

    Not trying to be critical here, and I'm not bias that Pro must have 1-series or 3-series or what, but it's about respecting your own profession. As a photographer for people's once a life time event, there is certain responsibility beyond just the $ you're receiving. Even if the skill wasn't there, the sincerity & effort got to be there in the first place. Not sure about what lens, what is f-stop, available lighting, pict sharpness, and worse, print from Walmart ??? If the client is paying US$400, then I would say the customer is cheapo and asking for it. $1500 may not be a lot, but is reasonable and require reasonable effort and quality.

    From what I see from the video clip, don't even need to blow up, I can do better then that with a P&S. Next someone would say why must pro use DSLR ?? Why can't they use an IXUS ? How about iPhone, that should be good enough ? Some line need to be drawn here.

    I am not a pro, but I did help friends weddnig day shot, FOC. Even then, I would make sure sufficient shot were make, and only the good one were selected and shown. With Digital, how hard is that ?

    And for $1500, for goodness sake, rent a 17-55/2.8 IS, and a prime. How hard can that be ?
    honestly, i can't see very clearly from the video,
    but what i saw, the standard is no less than some BS's photog.
    if u can do better than that with a PnS,
    u r better than the defendant,
    but that doesn't mean she is bad.

    the judge kept saying the pics can't be blown up,
    n i wonder why not.
    the 8x10(i presume) pics he is holding looks sharp enough.
    he may not be an empty vessel,
    but half filled makes it worse.

  12. #52

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    So funny.

    So next you can ask your hired pro, where is the 1D 5D and D3?

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    So can 5DMkII be considered pro? I am not a pro but I would think for wedding day shoot, it is better to be safe than be creative. Save the creativity for pre-wedding photo shoot. Of course if you work in pairs, then one can be the one doing the documentation while the other can do creative shots. I don't know. Maybe pros can provide insights into how they work?

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    the 8x10(i presume) pics he is holding looks sharp enough.
    This has to be a first. Judging sharpness from an unsharp, 480x360, motion blurred and compressed Youtube video ^.^

    Just to be clear, I'm not saying the images were sharp, or not sharp. I'm just saying that you can't possibly tell.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chestnut
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Err what, crabs?



    Just take a look in the services section and see how many people are offering quality on a budget, who have maybe half a dozen wedding pictures in their portfolio.

    Or some who are "more established" and shoot almost anything and everything but have like, sports pictures from one event, wedding pictures from one wedding, event pictures from one event, no pictures from commercial photography despite stating they can shoot it... the list goes on.
    ...think its the longkang type..not sri lankan nor alaskan.....the lobsters are the plastic type..

    .........perhaps the commercial photos are like what the XXM shoot for their Blog shops....ie.accessories and clothes etc....come to think of it its is a new thing I noticed on train nowadays....XXM carrying cam like 500D and D5000 on their shoulder or oversized bags....quite a common sight...more pro ones carry 50D....wondring of they shoot better han those two wedding photogurphers
    Last edited by Danntbt; 6th March 2010 at 08:56 PM.

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    ...think its the longkang type..not sri lankan nor alaskan.....the lobsters are the plastic type..

    .........perhaps the commercial photos are like what the XXM shoot for their Blog shops....ie.accessories and clothes etc....come to think of it its is a new thing I noticed on train nowadays....XXM carrying cam like 500D and D5000 on their shoulder or oversized bags....quite a common sight...more pro ones carry 50D
    Guess I can be classified as XMM

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    honestly, i can't see very clearly from the video,
    but what i saw, the standard is no less than some BS's photog.
    if u can do better than that with a PnS,
    u r better than the defendant,
    but that doesn't mean she is bad.

    the judge kept saying the pics can't be blown up,
    n i wonder why not.
    the 8x10(i presume) pics he is holding looks sharp enough.
    he may not be an empty vessel,
    but half filled makes it worse.
    Not going to argue with you on sharpness, and not something that I mentioned in my original post, how can you guage sharpness from that video ? I'm talking about the pict quality... look at the composition, look at the color, look at the materials it's printed on. I had not printed from Walmart, but I had printed from some similar mart in US, would you accept that for your wedding pict ? If yes, I rest my case.

  18. #58

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    But the one from Judge Judy is pretty valid. When something happens and you are a photographer by profession, people will ask.

    What are your professional credentials and experience. Give example where you have ample experience with similar events?
    Why are you using inadequate tool?

    And if you are able to produce brilliant pics in your portfolio but mess up this one, then the case is immediately lost. Meaning careless or not lack of profession ethnics.

  19. #59
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Hiring a freelance assistant: $300 (Never hired before, estimated cost)
    Renting a EF-S 17-55 IS USM: $70 (Never rented before, estimated cost)
    Renting a spare flash: $40 (Never rented before, estimated cost)
    Picture memories of once in a lifetime wedding: priceless
    There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's clubsnap ads.

  20. #60
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i think if you use a pentax, you will be good photographer.

    just kidding!
    .... then the judge will ask: Where's your Nikon or Canon or even Sony? You can't pose as a pros for hire with such equipment..... It would be an outright cheating your client and punishable under federal law.....

    Just kidding too!
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •