Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    For what he had said..." do not expect for what you'd pay the photographer, you will get an Oscar award each and every shot. "
    You should tell the magistrate that Oscar awards are for movies...IPA are for photographers...

Default Re: US Judge slams noob wedding photog for unprofessionalism (all should watch this)

That was good although unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this is called bound arbitration - this is not a real court.

basically the 2 parties are paid money to appear on tv, along with lodging, and an allowance.

they sign a contract which binds them to accept the judge's judgement, whatever the outcome, whether it benefits them or not. there is a limited amount he is allowed to award there, i think. the show then pays the amount due to whatever parties on their behalf.
    why singapore dont have this
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

the judge doesn't have to be impartial, because he isn't really a judge.

after all, it's a tv show, the focus is on the ratings and viewership.

no one really wants to see a boring real day justice bao trying to settle villagers clucking over chickens and eggs and trivial matters....
    Sure makes for boring TV though. Should give the photographer some chance ma :P

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i think we will get there someday, the horror.

such shows are the by product of too much sitting on the couch and wanting to live an exciting life through the eyes of the tv.

the judge doesn't have to be impartial, because he isn't really a judge.

after all, it's a tv show, the focus is on the ratings and viewership.

no one really wants to see a boring real day justice bao trying to settle villagers clucking over chickens and eggs and trivial matters....
    Agree with you.It's just a what they call TV Reality show.US have alot of them
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

I doubt the judge have any idea what he is talking about, probably scripted.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 5th March 2010 at 12:54 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by bengchiat View Post
    actually, don't find the pics all that bad.
    I agree with you; I don't find the picture bad at all, since it is an actual day wedding shot, don't expect every shot to have uncluttered background or razor sharp. The color photo that was shot outside was good.

The judge didn't even saw the blown up photos(22x32) from the client, and he can make the final judgement?

;

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    You should tell the magistrate that Oscar awards are for movies...IPA are for photographers...
    Ya, correct, but after all he his on my side, so let it be. Most important, I get my
    payment in full.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    The CASE can provide piles of real case records, no need scripts. Just like Crime Watch.

Don't forget that we are looking at the videos in youtube resolution. Assuming that the pictures didn't hold up in 8x10, it probably wouldn't hold up in larger enlargements. Also, there were no photos of the ceremony. If you were getting married, how pissed would you be?

Also, I think the judge was especially harsh this time because of the term 'professional'. Consumers are not expected to have knowledge in jobs that are considered professional. For example, doctors, lawyers, and accountants. When you pay for a professional service, there are 'reasonable expectations'. When the expectations are not met, you might have a case of misrepresentation. I believe this applies to any job that average consumers are not expected to have in depth knowledge of, including car mechanics, etc. 'Reasonable expectations' change depending on the client of course. For example if the client is a used car salesman with 10+ years of experience suing a car mechanic for misrepresentation, the case would probably not be as strong.

Disclaimer: I wrote this from memory since I sold my business law text book ages ago but the gist of it should be correct

but u gotta admit that the photographer and her partner deserved the ruling based on how they tried so hard to defend themselves..

and not knowing how fast their lens was? OMG. total nOObs.

i support the judge all the way! it was priceless to see their ugly faces get slammed over and over again. and i cant believe they did 100 odd weddings according to the video.

as for me (not to be sexist just speaking the truth), i would hire a male photog for my wedding

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Ds View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    the judge cannot ask u the same question, "where is ur 1D series!"
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post

as for me (not to be sexist just speaking the truth), i would hire a male photog for my wedding
    equally likely to disaster, btw

in an even worse way:

http://www.corpun.com/sgj00202.htm

Quote Originally Posted by hotchoco1ate View Post
    and not knowing how fast their lens was? OMG. total nOObs.
    The autofocus ring on my lens can rotate at a maximum of between 50 to 60 RPM though in manual focus mode the maximum RPM increase exponentially to around 1000 RPM, is that considered fast or slow?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

I am impressed with the photographer's general stand and her answer "I dunno"..

thanks for the link
    "If ur pictures aren't gd enough, u're just not close enough..." | Flickr

The whole problem is in Singapore it's quite the reverse and this will if anything encourage the situation rather than dampen it.

I have 1 Series (donch worry my beemer is 7 series I is not teh nub), I have f0.01 lens, I have 2.8-700 lens, so zomg that means in the eyes of the law and everyone else I must be teh pr0z.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    The autofocus ring on my lens can rotate at a maximum of between 50 to 60 RPM though in manual focus mode the maximum RPM increase exponentially to around 1000 RPM, is that considered fast or slow?
    If you answer that, maybe the judge won't ask whether you have 1 series.
    You know what you have in such technical depth. I'd bet you would know what your equipment can do and cannot do. I don't even remember my lens' dimension!

Equipment plays part, but the photog will ultimately be the critical factor of the outcome... well unless the photog suddenly go senile and decided to pull a trick beyond his eq. capability.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 6th March 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Haahahaa... dont get it wrong...
    I have the same thought too before, but later changed it after I realized something,
    that is, the female photographer is as good as male photographer, but they are just less "gearheads" than the male one.
    I have a chance to see a lot (I mean a LOT...) of wedding pictures from a lot of wedding photographer since Im working in a pro lab cater to wedding photographer, and pics from female and male photographers are equally good.
    BUT
    In my company's forum, when a male photographer is buying/selling, stuff, they always have a detailed information to the T about the equipment (Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras), while the female photographer usually just saying Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8. Moreover, I also found out some mistake like: FS: Canon 85 1.8 L lens for US$300 or sometimes just FS: Canon DSLR.

Of course no big deal, Im just saying...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast