Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worth saving your camera? The cursed Nikon DSLR [RANTING THREAD]

Default Re: Worth saving your camera? The cursed Nikon DSLR [RANTING THREAD]

just for fun:

The smart got owned badass...

Alright, saw this on youtube and felt that the comment was really funny...

crumple zone is not almighty in saving life or preventing injury to the passenger in a car.

initial energy = speed X mass

a crumple zone can absorb that much initial energy, so if ppl drive super fast and hit a super hard object or get hit by a super hard object going at super fast speed, the impact energy may be so much higher than than what the crumple zone is design to take and thus the passenger can be squash till death inside.

think i heard somewhere b4 that air bags have some sort of sensor to detect frontal head on impact and will deploy if the impact is strong. in the TS case the impact zone is not really a frontal but a diagonal impact and the impact zone is as TS mention is pretty much a hollow area. so i dont think u need to be going fast to crash it, considering its a mercs which is much heavier than normal cars thus the impact of 10-20km/h can = to a smaller car doing 20-30km/h.

as for TS friend hitting the windscreen and cracking it, is easy as he is not belted up and he aint ready for the impact, 20km/h sudden stop can throw a person forward easily. I ever hit another car rear, i brake hard till my car hit the front car at below 20km/h, i braced for the impact got held down by the belt and everyone in the car lunge forward but lucky everyone was belted up. as for the screen cracking, IMO i dont think the screen is super hard, ever had a cousin get hit by a mercs as it entering a carpark, she was cycling and she was thrown onto the bonnet and her head hit and crack the screen. she was ok (happen 10yr ago) windscreen are temper glass thou hard but not design to take hard knock.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post

initial energy = speed X mass
    i thought it was either:

force = mass x acceleration

or kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    The smart got owned badass...
    the smart IS the crumple zone.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the smart IS the crumple zone.
    Looking at how the dummy's head went all over the place in the smart, its o.O....

From secondary school physics, we know that in the conservation of momentum, when two inelastic bodies of different masses come into contact, the much smaller one always gets pawned....

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i thought it was either:

force = mass x acceleration

or kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2
    force = rate of change of momentum / time.

crumple zone is to increase contact time, so force will be lesser. if contact time is increased from 0.01 second to 0.02 second, there is a 2 fold less force on impact etc, which is why many cars have crumple zones
    pedantic.

I hope your friend is fine. I don't believe its 20km/hr. Nobody drives at that speed in ntu and especially not so on that road you're talking about. This should serve as a reminder to everyone who drives into ntu. Many drivers there speed[even the SBS bus uncle].
    Would be good if they had a safe driving ad campaign in ntu...Drive safer next time. 30-40k repair is nothing to someone who can drive a Merc...it'll be worst if you hit any students along the pavements or crossing the roads...

Quote Originally Posted by dexlab View Post
    I hope your friend is fine. I don't believe its 20km/hr. Nobody drives at that speed in ntu and especially not so on that road you're talking about. This should serve as a reminder to everyone who drives into ntu. Many drivers there speed[even the SBS bus uncle].
    Would be good if they had a safe driving ad campaign in ntu...Drive safer next time. 30-40k repair is nothing to someone who can drive a Merc...it'll be worst if you hit any students along the pavements or crossing the roads...
    Well, its up to you to decide... Like I said, it happened just right after filtering left into Nanyang Walk. And my foot wasn't even on gas when I turned around.....It was a let go pedal turn around affair.

I'll be glad to provide more photos of the wheel well structure and designs if u like....

Oh, and like I said, my friend's alright. He got a check up at the doctor and everything was fine including the x-ray. He even managed to pose for pics with the car right after the accident.....In fact, they do have safety ad banners around the school. Just not noticeable. When you turn in from Pioneer entrance, there's a Jay Walking Kills banner near Hall 2....
    Last edited by fevernova; 8th March 2010 at 04:01 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234