Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth saving your camera? The cursed Nikon DSLR [RANTING THREAD]

Deregistered

Default Re: Worth saving your camera? The cursed Nikon DSLR [RANTING THREAD]

if u were going at a speed of 40km/h ,i can still believe. 20km/h is too slow.

but sure the kerb still reduce the impact. but looking at the impact , i think merc is like tofu

but anyway a lesson to learn..

Thankfully you and your friend are ok. I hope this highlight the importance of putting on the safety belt. If you were to go any faster, your friend would probably have gone thru the windscreen. Never let anything distract you while driving. I have also experienced a number of close call...
    Last edited by hmjt; 4th March 2010 at 09:23 AM.

I think this serves as a good reminder to all bros out there and a painful and harrowing experience for me.....Must always belt-up! And must pay close attention to the road while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by domdomino View Post
    if u were going at a speed of 40km/h ,i can still believe. 20km/h is too slow.

but sure the kerb still reduce the impact. but looking at the impact , i think merc is like tofu

but anyway a lesson to learn..
    cant really tell where is the kerb. No yellow line on the road as well...

Anyway, i estimated the impact = when my front wheel was on the kerb, the car struck the lamppost head on at 20km/h with the left side....

Did the airbags inflate? From first looks of that impact, it does appear that you were doing more than 20km/h. But I believe if the impact were any greater, the airbags and the headrest protection mechanisms would have been activated. In your photos, that doesn't appear to have been the case.

But like you said, the Mercs bodywork at that area is designed as a crumple zone to protect the external party - which in this case happens to be a lamp post.

An expensive lesson learnt.

Oh gosh... 30k to 40k repaIR for a Mercs... Gonna be carefully not have next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Papilio View Post
    Did the airbags inflate? From first looks of that impact, it does appear that you were doing more than 20km/h. But I believe if the impact were any greater, the airbags and the headrest protection mechanisms would have been activated. In your photos, that doesn't appear to have been the case.

But like you said, the Mercs bodywork at that area is designed as a crumple zone to protect the external party - which in this case happens to be a lamp post.

An expensive lesson learnt.
    Nope, air bag did't activate since we hit the lamp post at around 20ish...By that I meant, hitting it square on with the left wheel well area which was why the damage was so bad considering that the road had a mild downslope...

But yeah, its a painful lesson....Today marks the 3rd day since the accident happened.....Can't wait for the repairs to be done....

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    Oh gosh... 30k to 40k repaIR for a Mercs... Gonna be carefully not have next time...
    Gotta be careful where I hit next time also.... Headlamp unit easily 2k or 3k to replace....Then wheel well and bonnet and front suspension, linkages and all the sensitive items...

be glad no one injured. money is one thing, life is another. dun be so careless. next time, the grim reaper won't be so benevolent.
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    ouch.... that must hurt the pocket.

on the brighter side, time to evaluate on possibility of scrapping car for new model/car.

Driving is always a risk. No matter how careful, you can never predict.

But, there goes your dream for a hassleblad camera.
    Car is relatively new...Its about a year and 4 months old only....

Could have bought a couple more cameras and lenses with that repair bill!

Sorry about your loss but at least no one was (seriously) hurt, your wallet notwithstanding

Thanks TS for sharing his lesson learnt.

My bad habit is to drive off first and then, belt up. I guess that would save me 3sec or so.

I should change my habit - belt up first and then drive off.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Thanks TS for sharing his lesson learnt.

My bad habit is to drive off first and then, belt up. I guess that would save me 3sec or so.

I should change my habit - belt up first and then drive off.
    I belt up first before moving off...And I always tell that to my passengers to do so. In his case, he didn't listen until we were about 50 metres away then did he decide to move his bag to the rear so that he could belt up.

I see quite a few baseless comments as to how safe or how solid or how well built a car is.

Well, there is this assessment called EuroNCAP standard to tell you how good a car is. These days, car designers do take such assessment into consideration.

I see quite a few baseless comments as to how safe or how solid or how well built a car is.

Well, there is this assessment called EuroNCAP standard to tell you how good a car is. These days, car designers do take such assessment into consideration.
    Yeah...Definitely...

IMO i think that the cars now a days crumple easily but i dont think its a bad thing. instead i think its good that they crumple, why? by crumpling the car body absorbed the impact shock and the passenger inside receive lesser shake or throw inside. being in a accident be it hitting or being hit, as the passenger we are often thrust forward or backward quite hard and this shake can be bad for our neck, thus the more energy the car body absorbed by crumpling the lesser our fragile neck i being whipped upon impacted.

car trashed, very painful on the pocket but a broken neck can become a vegy or paralyzed some what which no $$$ can repair u back but can repair the car or even buy new one.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

There is one thing I dun understand.

If the impact is hard enough, the airbag should have been inflated.

When the passenger hit the windscreen, it indicated that the impact is severe enough, which should get the airbag inflated.

There is one thing I dun understand.

If the impact is hard enough, the airbag should have been inflated.

When the passenger hit the windscreen, it indicated that the impact is severe enough, which should get the airbag inflated.
    The impact wasn't hard enough. As to why he hit the windscreen.....How about try sitting in a car without seatbelt and jamming brake when you're doing 20 or 30? I'm sure u'll hit the windscreen with ease....

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

Honestly, the crumple technology is hell lot of bullshit for car manufacturers to cut cost of using better metal and to boast higher fuel mileage due to a lighter car. I had seen how crumple technology took lives away when it crumple do deep in, even the driver and front passenger were flattened into pulp.
    i think if it is legit crumple technology, and not an excuse to cut costs, and the crumple zones are done properly, based on physics it does make sense.

The purpose of crumple zones is to slow down the collision and to absorb energy. It is like the difference between slamming someone into a wall headfirst (fracturing their skull) and shoulder-first (bruising their flesh slightly) is that the arm, being softer, has tens of times longer to slow its speed, yielding a little at a time, than the hard skull, which isn't in contact with the wall until it has to deal with extremely high pressures.
    watch this:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast