Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth saving your camera? The cursed Nikon DSLR [RANTING THREAD]

Default Re: Worth saving your camera? The cursed Nikon DSLR [RANTING THREAD]

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    Yeah, that's why.....I don't know why but as of late, I've been zoning out a little whenever I drive....I think it might be due to long days and the lack of sleep...Guess I'll need to take a break for now....Dangerous me....
    When you turn your head and upper body to the left, you will turn your steering wheel to the left too, eventhough you may think you are still steering straight, it may not.......

Your friends head is tougher than your windscreen Ask him to monitor himself if he start to feel giddy or has to throw up in the next few days, better go to the hospital......

HS

do not blame and curse on the camera because it did nothing at all. Just driver fault tho...

Po Cai Dan Zai.

Be safe on road next time.

Sorry but I LOL at ya last photo
    Sony α
    My Flickr | Facebook

So the story goes like this:

An uneventful Wednesday afternoon, only to be marred by the stupidest, silliest and costliest accident I've ever had and also my virgin accident with this car.....

I was fetching my friend back home and he sat beside me with his sling bag across his chest. Pulling out of the car park, I did a left turn and headed down the stretch of road along NTU that was opposite SIMtech and I reminded him to put on his seatbelt as the seatbelt warning sign was beeping.

Me: Chuck your bag to the rear seat
    Him: Ok

And he turned around to place his crumpler sling bag on my rear seat. I noticed that my Camera was sitting on the left side of the rear seat thus I slowed down and turned around telling him to watch out. It was then, in a spate of loss concentration and obliviousness, my left wheel mounted the kerb.

Swinging the steering wheel back and braking didn't do much help since the car was in a slanted position and sure enough, WHAM! I hit the lamp post.

I estimated the impact to be around 20km/h since I could see it all happen pretty clearly....Asked if my friend was alright as he was grabbing on to the seatbelt and his head hit the windscreen.

No external injuries but a slight concussion and abit of a headache (that idiot was still posing for photos with the car 20 mins after the accident when bystanders took photo of it....)

Anyway, I would say this is all my fault for not paying attention to the road and i was lucky since there were no cars or jay walkers at that time of the incident...Hope bros out there can be careful.

Saved a 4k camera and incurred a 30K~40K repair fee.....Plus increased insurance premium....zzz.....

The Aftermath...

The Aftermath take 2

Goodjob, lamppost shifted by 4inches off its base and I'll be paying the school for it...

Front suspension, lamp, side panel, steering joint, wheel, left impact bar, radiator piping, compressor.........GONE! estimated repair cost: 30k to 40k....

My friend's incredibly hard head.....Tie3 Tou2 Gong1
    haha! iron head. Love the merc. thx for the advice.
    indie

looking at the damage on the car, lamp post shifted by 4inches and also the tyres were also flat... you are confirm more than 20km/h. at least also 60-70km/h and i mean at least. At that speed, yes, you can still see it happen pretty clearly.

No offence, but frankly, if you treasure your camera so much, you wouldn't have just left it sitting on your rear seat alone. at least also in a camera bag and placed the bag on the floor.

And yes, you are right to say that you were lucky there were no cars or jay walkers at the time of the incident, it will be very bad if there were, esp if it involve other pedestian due to your negligence.

If you can afford to drive a Merc, what's 30k 40k

that's an expensive lesson learnt..

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    It's only money lah. Count yourself lucky did not bang into another person o/w you hv to perform the 'Romanian Disappearing Act'

Time to get that new E250 & if you need one I can recommend you where to trade in your old wreck for a new one
    Got to repair it first then say.....

Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    You sure your friend ok ? That windscreen crack seems serious ! You need a lot of force to crack a windscreen. Some injuries do not manifest itself until much later so your friend better go for a checkup.
    He didn't belt up before entering the vehicle.....So he hit the windscreen head on....I'm not sure if he's alright now but he'll be going for a check-up tomorrow. I actually waved to alot of people when we sat inside the car while it was being towed by the flat bed loader to the workshop at pandan loop....

Quote Originally Posted by Zahne View Post
    Sorry but I LOL at ya last photo
    Its alright....He was so excited and happy when he heard that his head is harder than the windscreen....-_- I think the impact made him abit siao ding dong....

Quote Originally Posted by SOFES View Post
    looking at the damage on the car, lamp post shifted by 4inches and also the tyres were also flat... you are confirm more than 20km/h. at least also 60-70km/h and i mean at least. At that speed, yes, you can still see it happen pretty clearly.

No offence, but frankly, if you treasure your camera so much, you wouldn't have just left it sitting on your rear seat alone. at least also in a camera bag and placed the bag on the floor.

And yes, you are right to say that you were lucky there were no cars or jay walkers at the time of the incident, it will be very bad if there were, esp if it involve other pedestian due to your negligence.
    Nah, we had witnesses and quite a couple of people....That road itself is pretty narrow so doing 60/70 is really fast plus its just right after filter lane to the left so I can't accelerate to that speed in that short distance....

Like I said, the mercedes damage access dude said I hit a "soft-spot" and since the lamppost is the small kind, it kind dug into the wheel well. Lamppost is about 3/4 the usual ones u see on the highway....

Quote Originally Posted by singster View Post
    If you can afford to drive a Merc, what's 30k 40k
    Doesn't mean can afford 30k 40k ain't nothing...

Doesn't mean can afford 30k 40k ain't nothing...
    Always look on the bright side of life!

Now you can go around claiming to own THE ONLY $44K Nikon DSLR in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Always look on the bright side of life!

Now you can go around claiming to own THE ONLY $44K Nikon DSLR in the world!
    -_-"....I guess I could....Making another trip down to pandan loop tomorrow to lodge and file insurance claims and also to get a replacement vehicle for the time being....The dude there showed me a CL350 that was wrecked on its entire front lower lip....Heard that it costs 70k to repair.....

I hope you will take this as a personal lesson for the rest of your life
    The kind you hot-brand into your mind
    Respect the car and the road; there are also other users out there, living, breathing
    If at any time you wish to zone out or feel sleepy, don't drive
    Cure that before you take the wheel again
    Please please be more careful in the future
    And your friend really needs to get himself looked at by the doc, hope he's fine too
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

-_-"....I guess I could....Making another trip down to pandan loop tomorrow to lodge and file insurance claims and also to get a replacement vehicle for the time being....The dude there showed me a CL350 that was wrecked on its entire front lower lip....Heard that it costs 70k to repair.....
    Money lost can be earned back. Time, and life lost can never be regained.

That said, yeah, it's a bitch aint it?

ts - i dont know why you seem to be proud of this. i wouldn't be posting this here if it was me.

you are really lucky no one was hurt that is all i can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    I hope you will take this as a personal lesson for the rest of your life
    The kind you hot-brand into your mind
    Respect the car and the road; there are also other users out there, living, breathing
    If at any time you wish to zone out or feel sleepy, don't drive
    Cure that before you take the wheel again
    Please please be more careful in the future
    And your friend really needs to get himself looked at by the doc, hope he's fine too
    I think I'll pop by his place tomorrow to check up on him man....

Money lost can be earned back. Time, and life lost can never be regained.

That said, yeah, it's a bitch aint it?
    Yeah, true true...Gotta be careful next time...

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    ts - i dont know why you seem to be proud of this. i wouldn't be posting this here if it was me.

you are really lucky no one was hurt that is all i can say.
    When did I ever mention that I was proud of it? Feeling very sian right now....Needed an avenue to release some stress.....

When did I ever mention that I was proud of it? Feeling very sian right now....Needed an avenue to release some stress.....
    Hmm ... whatever you do, don't go for a nice long drive.

OK, my bad.

Aiyah, look on the bright side man, it really could have been much worse.

You could have killed an innocent pedestrian or mortorcyclist, or permanently incapacitated a sole bread winner of a household of twenty toddlers and octogenarians, be riddled with guilt for the rest of your life and never marry because you can't fall in love anymore, or loose all your limbs and still have to pay all the legal fees and bills etc etc etc etc etc while in prison etc etc etc

What I'm saying is simply count your blessings and that no one got seriously injured, or killed, instead of focusing n the siandom. Really.

Hmm ... whatever you do, don't go for a nice long drive.

OK, my bad.

Aiyah, look on the bright side man, it really could have been much worse.

You could have killed an innocent pedestrian or mortorcyclist, or permanently incapacitated a sole bread winner of a household of twenty toddlers and octogenarians, be riddled with guilt for the rest of your life and never marry because you can't fall in love anymore, or loose all your limbs and still have to pay all the legal fees and bills etc etc etc etc etc while in prison etc etc etc

What I'm saying is simply count your blessings and that no one got seriously injured, or killed, instead of focusing n the siandom. Really.
    Yeah....Right after the crash, I asked if my friend was alright...Then I thought oh ****.....But on the hindsight, I guess I was lucky since I was kinda road hogging by driving slowly as I was kinda pre-occupied...Had I driven faster at 40km/h which was the speed limit on that road, I would have run down the lamp post and went all the way into the pedestrian walkway......

And for those who think all Mercs are hard and tough, the entire front bumper section is actually made up of polyuretane plastics and the bumper had styrofoam inserts in it...Impact bars covered only the front region from the inner 2nd headlamp on the left to the inner 2nd headlamp on the right.

The entire wheel well area that was impacted was kinda hollow in front since it housed the lighting unit and pipes for the front lamp washer fluid unit.

Most cars are using PU as material for bumper. And I agree with pokiemon, I won't even post this here.
    Count yourself lucky. And please!!! For the sake of all road users, and those ppl you love, do not drive when you are zoned out.

And for those who think all Mercs are hard and tough, the entire front bumper section is actually made up of polyuretane plastics and the bumper had styrofoam inserts in it...Impact bars covered only the front region from the inner 2nd headlamp on the left to the inner 2nd headlamp on the right.

The entire wheel well area that was impacted was kinda hollow in front since it housed the lighting unit and pipes for the front lamp washer fluid unit.
    Cars nowadays are not made like they used to be 20 yrs ago even the Merc. I drove the 1st gen W210 of this same 'Big Small eye' model back in the 90s' and compared to the Masterpiece or models before that this model seems sluggish and the shell material very soft like a asian cars.
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast