Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: how to check EXIF data?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    59

    Default how to check EXIF data?

    do all pics have EXIF? how do you check it especially those posted in this site? thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?


  3. #3
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Pictures taken with modern DSLR or compact cameras will have EXIF data embeded inside the picture, while those taken with film cameras and then scanned in do not. When posting, the EXIF data might be lost in the process even though the original picture contains the EXIF - some intentionally removed by the photographers, others unintentionally removed by the editing software or the hosting sites (e.g. flickr). For viewing the EXIF, Opanda IExif is an excellent choice as suggested by Squid.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    To TRY and check EXIF of other photos shown on the net (eg Clubsnap), I use Firefox and the IXIF plugin, as suggested by bro Rashkae in a post some weeks back.
    With this plugin I simply right click on an image and select View Exif.
    If the exif is not lost, I can see it.
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by thinslicing View Post
    do all pics have EXIF? how do you check it especially those posted in this site? thanks!
    if you don't want to install exif viewers for your browser (available for firefox, not sure about rest), just right click and save to desktop.. then right c lick nad look at properties --> advanced.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    troublesome.... .... hehehehe

    i used to do that... until i was "enlightened"...
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Opanda IExif works with MS IE as well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    To TRY and check EXIF of other photos shown on the net (eg Clubsnap), I use Firefox and the IXIF plugin, as suggested by bro Rashkae in a post some weeks back.
    With this plugin I simply right click on an image and select View Exif.
    If the exif is not lost, I can see it.
    Was curious, does the plugin work if you are using Win Vista or 7?

  9. #9

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Was curious, does the plugin work if you are using Win Vista or 7?
    Yes, works fine.
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    I'm using Fxif plug-in for firefox

  11. #11
    Member mazatello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    I use Irfanview (google it up) and the EXIF plug-in. Works like a charm

  12. #12
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by mazatello View Post
    I use Irfanview (google it up) and the EXIF plug-in. Works like a charm
    With Irfanview + plugin you'll need to open the picture to see the EXIF data. With Opanda IExif you can see it directly in the browser or inside windows explorer without opening the picture.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    i'm using google chrome, opanda dont works with chrome, any other suggestions

  14. #14

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by dafansu View Post
    i'm using google chrome, opanda dont works with chrome, any other suggestions
    try http://regex.info/exif.cgi

    it's a web-based exif viewer, open the link above, on top right corner, drag the "Exif" button to your bookmark bar.

    whenever u wan to view an exif for a photo, right click the photo--> open image in new tab, go to the tab, and click the "Exif" link in your bookmark bar. and you will see the EXIF data (if there is any).

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    thanks for the replies guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    When posting, the EXIF data might be lost in the process even though the original picture contains the EXIF - some intentionally removed by the photographers, others unintentionally removed by the editing software or the hosting sites (e.g. flickr).
    how do you intentionally remove or keep EXIF data on a photo?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    I use an addon called Exif Viewer for Mozilla. I just right click on any picture I see and click "View EXIF" and if its available to see, all the info is there

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by thinslicing View Post
    thanks for the replies guys!



    how do you intentionally remove or keep EXIF data on a photo?
    fastone image viewer (which I sometimes use) has an option when editing and saving a file, to "remove JPEG metadata" (or something similar).
    Some programs call it "save for web" I think...
    Exploring! :)

  18. #18
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by thinslicing View Post
    how do you intentionally remove or keep EXIF data on a photo?
    This actually depends on the editing software you're using. E.g. in PS, you can "save for web and devices", and in "metadata" if you select anything other than "all" the EXIF info will be stripped.

    But why would you want to remove the EXIF data? The purpose of participating in the forum is to share, and I definitely won't mind sharing my settings with others. That is also part of the reasons why I do not like to host my pics on flickr as the EXIF is being stripped in the process.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes, works fine.

    Thanks for the info... but it didn't work for me..

  20. #20

    Default Re: how to check EXIF data?

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    But why would you want to remove the EXIF data? The purpose of participating in the forum is to share, and I definitely won't mind sharing my settings with others. That is also part of the reasons why I do not like to host my pics on flickr as the EXIF is being stripped in the process.
    The trouble is that Exif doesn't contain only the camera settings, but also other information that you may want to keep private. For example, if you took your photo in your home with a camera that has a GPS receiver, your address will be exposed. The thumbnail in the Exif data can also cause troubles. There are special tools for stripping Exif like JPEG & PNG Stripper and BatchPurifier LITE.

    BTW, flickr strips the Exif of only the smaller resized versions of the photo. The Exif of the original is left intact, and you can even see the details in flickr itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •