Thread: photoshop crop

Default photoshop crop

Hi all, sth about the photoshop crop tool to ask about,

I'm using CS4 currently, a picture with resolution 1800x1200 pixel, if i use crop tool, and change the crop size to 3600x2400 and crop it, is this action help to increase my picture quality?

I tried it and i get bigger file size when save to new picture. but i'm not sure is this crop from 1800x1200 to 3600x2400 image quality same with camera shot with 3600x2400 image quality.

someone care to share? many thanks.
    | Blog | Flickr |

Default Re: photoshop crop

hmm...as far as i know crop does not improve quality of photo. In fact, isnt crop usually used to remove away unwanted area/reposition the subject to the desired area of the photo?
    i used CS3. Not sure if crop is different in CS 4.
    Or are u refering to image size? if so, nope the image quality does not improve.

As far as my "limited" knowledge of CS4 goes, resizing your photo is not as simple as increasing the pixel dimensions. If you do that, I'm quite sure your photo will appear soft and pixelated. I believe you need to turn off the Resample Image checkbox so that PS will automatically adjusts the width and height of the image down in the exact proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iustinus View Post
    Hi all, sth about the photoshop crop tool to ask about,

I'm using CS4 currently, a picture with resolution 1800x1200 pixel, if i use crop tool, and change the crop size to 3600x2400 and crop it, is this action help to increase my picture quality?

I tried it and i get bigger file size when save to new picture. but i'm not sure is this crop from 1800x1200 to 3600x2400 image quality same with camera shot with 3600x2400 image quality.

someone care to share? many thanks.
    On the contrary, your picture quality gets worse. By increasing the size from 1800x1200 to 3600x2400, CS4 will add pixels to your original image using a mathematical formula (usually bicubic).As such pixels do not originally exist, the addition is on a best effort basis and hence your picture quality deteriorate. A 3600x2400 camera image is all "real" and is therefore of a higher quality.

Just curious ... why would you want to double the dimensions of the image?