Thread: What's the difference between Live View and Final Image

Default What's the difference between Live View and Final Image

I was testing my lens, and realised that the image I see through live view on LCD is sharper (marginally) than my final image. Tried it a few times and viewing images magnified on camera LCD - same phenomenon.

Have minimised any affecting factors I know: Mounted on tripod, Raw format, Base ISO, MLU, 2 sec timer, F16 (I'm shooting a crack on my wall).

In summary: the image after I press the shutter is slightly poorer then what I see prior to pressing the shutter. Have no idea why this is so, thought they should be identical, like a WYSIWYG.

Is it due to image degradation at F16, or any other causes (imperfect sensor, etc...)? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: What's the difference between Live View and Final Image

Did you enable mirror lockup? Could be the mirror slap causing vibration in your final image. Nothing is moving during live view so it appears sharper.

Edit: Just saw that you did. But some tripods take much longer to settle down from the vibration, longer than 2s. Try enabling lock up then taking a shot quite some time later (>10s)
    Last edited by sabee; 2nd March 2010 at 04:23 PM.

if your lens have IS (for canon lens not sure the names for other lens) which means anti shake...

then you will have to off this IS when you mount on tripod as it is proven that it will cause vibration to your cam which will blurred your images.

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Did you enable mirror lockup? Could be the mirror slap causing vibration in your final image. Nothing is moving during live view so it appears sharper.

Edit: Just saw that you did. But some tripods take much longer to settle down from the vibration, longer than 2s. Try enabling lock up then taking a shot quite some time later (>10s)
    Thanks Ken, will try it out with 10 sec timer later.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    if your lens have IS (for canon lens not sure the names for other lens) which means anti shake...

then you will have to off this IS when you mount on tripod as it is proven that it will cause vibration to your cam which will blurred your images.
    Thanks sinned79, am Canon user too, but lens has no IS. Using one of the older macro lenses.

Since IS is switched off, we can look at any other possible factors:

1) the stability of the tripod and head
    2) the accuracy of focusing
    3) any induced vibrations after focusing, and also
    4) the possibility that an LCD screen may be showing perceptibly sharper images than actually is. Some screens with higher resolution and contrast are infamous for that.

Linked to #4 would be in camera JPEG settings, which in some cameras, directly affect the image displayed on the screen.

Expand on that for a moment, and since you're shooting in RAW, your files are a reflection of largely unprocessed parameters, whereas in-camera settings affect the direct output of jpeg files, and the image displayed on your LCD screen. Naturally, the processed jpeg image on your LCD screen would look significantly sharper/more contrasty than the RAW output.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

4) the possibility that an LCD screen may be showing perceptibly sharper images than actually is. Some screens with higher resolution and contrast are infamous for that.

Linked to #4 would be in camera JPEG settings, which in some cameras, directly affect the image displayed on the screen.

Expand on that for a moment, and since you're shooting in RAW, your files are a reflection of largely unprocessed parameters, whereas in-camera settings affect the direct output of jpeg files, and the image displayed on your LCD screen. Naturally, the processed jpeg image on your LCD screen would look significantly sharper/more contrasty than the RAW output.
    Thanks alot DM, this is great info that you're sharing. Learning something new today. Much appreciated.

Photos will definitely look sharper on cam's live view because it has small screen.
    Try hooking up you camera to your computer monitor, and see if its still different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

Very good input DM!

Since we're on this topic.

Does anyone know if picture styles affect live view in Canon DSLRs? Seems kinda silly to add extra processing steps when live view is kinda slow in itself already.

I think it's because the image you see in live mode is when the lens aperture is wide open versus the final image at F16 hence the difference in IQ?