Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Wide Zoom Experience

Default Re: Ultra Wide Zoom Experience

Quote Originally Posted by tabako View Post
    You've already said it yourself. Manufacturers set tolerence limit. Perfect product is impossible, so if you want a smaller tolerence limit, then you have to pay for it. a 24-105 f4 L costs $1.6, so by halfing the tolerence limit, the numbers of lens that passed QA will be halfed, so the price you have to pay is double at 3.2k. So if you pay 3.2k I am sure your lens front/back focus will be so minute that you cannot detect, therefore you are satisfy. But then you will have another discussion in the forum on why your lens costs so much.
    Correct! Its not about a perfect product. Its about an acceptable product.
    In my case, the Sigma 10-20 came so badly front focused its not focused.
    I can understand where you are coming from if you meant that your Canon 24-105 L a bit off. Mine was not it was not even focused when focused.

As a consumer paying $1.6K (in your case) and ~$800+ for mine, I certainly don't expect to be wasting my precious leave and time to go down to the service center to settle something that should work right out of the box.
    Imagine you buy a $100 bluetooth earphone, and it gives jittery sound out of box. Justified as its a mass produced product? Even worse if you bring it all the way down from your house in Tampines to Tuas and service personnel tell you ... "ok.. what... within acceptable limits.... "

U want perfect quality product then are you willing to pay $3k for it? I'm sure if every lens are priced at a high premium, they dun mind checking each individual lens thoroughly.
    there will still be human error.

just like all the win stories of people sending in their lens to calibrate and it comes back declared perfect and nothing's changed with regards to focusing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there will still be human error.

just like all the win stories of people sending in their lens to calibrate and it comes back declared perfect and nothing's changed with regards to focusing problems.
    Mine actually opposite.

I brought in my lens to check. However few days later told me to collect and technician told me that they tested and everything was within spec, and they merely cleaned it for me. But when I test it at home, the focus is now accurate and image sharper, even though "nothing" has been done to it.

Mine actually opposite.

I brought in my lens to check. However few days later told me to collect and technician told me that they tested and everything was within spec, and they merely cleaned it for me. But when I test it at home, the focus is now accurate and image sharper, even though "nothing" has been done to it.
    Then maybe the human error is with you Kidding, I find that sometimes I can't trust the camera's AF all the time, especially in bad lighting.

Ok, guys I just bot the Sigma 10-20mm; after reading more and check out the UTube as well. If there was a perfect 10-20mm, with a brand name like "Heaven 10-20mm F1.0"; I won't be able to afford it. Only the Sultan of Brunei could. So, let's live within our means. After all, there are Maserati, Porsche, Mercedes, Toyota, Hunday, Proton, and Cherry. They are all cars and we choose within our means. I hope to see its performance, when I go to Melaka next week (my quarterly pilgrimage)!
    __________________________________________________ _
    http://living-a-good-life.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogh53 View Post
    Ok, guys I just bot the Sigma 10-20mm; after reading more and check out the UTube as well. If there was a perfect 10-20mm, with a brand name like "Heaven 10-20mm F1.0"; I won't be able to afford it. Only the Sultan of Brunei could. So, let's live within our means. After all, there are Maserati, Porsche, Mercedes, Toyota, Hunday, Proton, and Cherry. They are all cars and we choose within our means. I hope to see its performance, when I go to Melaka next week (my quarterly pilgrimage)!
    Congrats!

Last time we were talking about a Pentax outing to Melaka, I'd like to go too ...

Great to know!
    The lens will certainly won't disappoint for it performance.

Just saw a program on Nonya kueh in Malacca

Congrats on your purchase!
    Where did you buy from and how much was it? Was it the f/3.5 version or the f/4-5.6?
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

SLR Revolution at $87X; with an expensive 77mm Hoya filter at $130.

F4-5.6; was told F3.5 could be an overkill, and at least $200+ more.

Tested out the Sigma 10-20mmF4-5.6 at Hortpark. No vignetting observed at 10mm; despite some misgivings on this by other owners. No editing.

At 10mm:

At 14mm:

Distortion not so visible depending on how pix is taken. Good lens. Really close up shot possible.
    Last edited by VanGogh53; 5th March 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Congrats! Time to shoot some sunrise/sunset shots!
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

Oh I thought this lens has terrible distortion at 10mm, so some pictures before.

Is the distortion visible only when the subject is closer to the camera?

A good test for distortion in wide angles is to shoot something with plenty of vertical and horizontal lines up close (like a pavement grating). That way you can see whether the image has got barrel or pincushion distortion, both of which are correctable during post processing. The more troublesome and complex distortion is what is commonly known as "moustache distortion", a combination of both and barrel and pincushion. Straight lines will appear wavy and it can happen in the centre or corners. Pretty challenging to correct during post processing. It is also good to test centre and corner sharpness at differing focal lengths and focusing distances as even the large DOF may not compensate for differences in sharpness (or lack of it) between the centre and corners. The third thing to observe is to shoot into a very bright light source and see how well the lens copes with flare. The very wide FOV of ultrawides can occasionally fool the camera's metering in differing lighting situations, something that can be remedied if the photographer shoots a lot and knows how to compensate or override the meter reading.
    Last edited by creampuff; 5th March 2010 at 05:21 PM.

The Sigma 10-20mm can focus so incredibly close. It is a lens that is so close to your subject, that it will create an instant reaction of "self-defence"! You can stand less than a foot, to take a picture. So, even if under very tight condition (crowd, narrow alley, small room etc) one can still take a picture. Interesting!

The Sigma 10-20mm can focus so incredibly close. It is a lens that is so close to your subject, that it will create an instant reaction of "self-defence"! You can stand less than a foot, to take a picture. So, even if under very tight condition (crowd, narrow alley, small room etc) one can still take a picture. Interesting!
    That's normal for an ultra-wide...

Oh I thought this lens has terrible distortion at 10mm, so some pictures before.

Is the distortion visible only when the subject is closer to the camera?
    barrel distortion has nothing to do with subject distance.

barrel distortion refers to the corners curving in, even when there is no horizontal perspective or vertical perspective distortion, if you take a picture of a grid the corners will be curved.

sigma 10-20 distortion is good, but it is weird and cannot be corrected with photoshop lens distort function, because only the very corners are pinched, rather than a gradual thing.

if you must correct it, liquify or dxo optics plugin for lens correction is the way to go.

Tested out the Sigma 10-20mmF4-5.6 at Hortpark. No vignetting observed at 10mm; despite some misgivings on this by other owners. No editing.
    are you shooting at f/4?

shoot at f/4. you will see that the vignetting is there.

stopping down will avoid the vignetting or minimise it. but believe me, it is there.

Just bought this magazine, "Your Digital SLR Camera" @ $39.90 at Harris, Great World City. Thought it will be more on technique; but unfortunately a lot of camera, lenses etc review. Indeed the Sigma 10-20mm was reviewed and like you, stated that at f4, will see vignetting. It does carry a great verdict in recommending this lens with lots of praises. I have since continued to use it, and with such sunlight, F4 doesn't even "exist"! It's a real fun lens, given that this is my 1st ever UWA. Thanks for all the advice. Will continue to have fun with it.

Personal tastes differ greatly here... but I do actually like some ever-so-slight vignetting! In fact, once in a while, I sometimes use one of my many hoods to achieve the effect optically when necessary. At other times, I resort to applying this digitally.

Recently I was at the beach photographing a beautiful sunset. I took several bracketed shots of the same scene. I then used an appropriate hood to achieve the slight gentle vignetting at the corners and repeated the bracketed shots. Guess what! One of the shots that made it to a framed print was one of the vignetted shots! Looks absolutely stunning. The non-vignetted similar exposed version looks great too... but the ever-so-slight vignetted effect just adds more oomph to the final image!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast