Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

  1. #1

    Question How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Few days ago I observed on TV, when the stall owner makes roasted chicken, the screen showed he tried to blow air into the tummy of the bird, from the beak with his mouth. Is that really how the chicken are made in such stalls? I am just curious to know.

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    i believe that is to separate the skin from the flesh

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Best is blowing with a pump into the chicken's backside.

    Tie the beak with a string. If not air will come out from it.

    Sometimes I will insert a ballon into the chicken's tummy first to avoid air from escaping.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i believe that is to separate the skin from the flesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Best is blowing with a pump into the chicken's backside.

    Tie the beak with a string. If not air will come out from it.

    Sometimes I will insert a ballon into the chicken's tummy first to avoid air from escaping.
    so that IS really a procedure they do in the stalls? good & sad to know..
    roasted, steamed and all kind of chicken all follow the same procedure except curry chicken?

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    don't take my work for it, i do not speak for the hawkers, best is to ask them during lunch time

  6. #6

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    don't take my work for it, i do not speak for the hawkers, best is to ask them during lunch time
    don't worry. i just feel it's a bit unhygeinic. it's how i think.
    it will take a long long time to assemble such courage as to order a plate chicken rice again.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    There are probably countless things an average consumer would be better off not knowing about food prep, in general.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    Few days ago I observed on TV, when the stall owner makes roasted chicken, the screen showed he tried to blow air into the tummy of the bird, from the beak with his mouth. Is that really how the chicken are made in such stalls? I am just curious to know.
    no, that's how they chop the chicken up.

    what they don't tell you , the chopping they do is for show.

    when no one is looking, the chopper just places a bicycle pump into the beak of the bird, and then pumps it until it explodes nicely into portions that he can slap onto the chicken rice. automatic deboning too.

  9. #9
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    There are probably countless things an average consumer would be better off not knowing about food prep, in general.

    Totally agree.... as long as the food taste good, best not to know to much....

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  10. #10

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    There are probably countless things an average consumer would be better off not knowing about food prep, in general.
    yeah.. yeah..

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, that's how they chop the chicken up.

    what they don't tell you , the chopping they do is for show.

    when no one is looking, the chopper just places a bicycle pump into the beak of the bird, and then pumps it until it explodes nicely into portions that he can slap onto the chicken rice. automatic deboning too.
    so explosion can be made deterministic also.

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Totally agree.... as long as the food taste good, best not to know to much....
    curiosity killed my appetite once again..

  11. #11
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    curiosity killed my appetite once again..

    Which is why at times.... act blur is the best.

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    while you are there, take a look under your table at the kopitiam/hawker centre

    you will never want to eat again

    sometimes ignorance is bliss

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    Few days ago I observed on TV, when the stall owner makes roasted chicken, the screen showed he tried to blow air into the tummy of the bird, from the beak with his mouth. Is that really how the chicken are made in such stalls? I am just curious to know.


    Just curious. Did he use his mouth to blow air into the tummy of the bird or did he use some machine to do it?

    Using his mouth doesn't seem hygenic to me.

  14. #14

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    while you are there, take a look under your table at the kopitiam/hawker centre

    you will never want to eat again

    sometimes ignorance is bliss
    that will inflict some curiosity of some cners i guess.

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    let me know what you see, especially one it gets dark

  16. #16

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jix View Post
    Just curious. Did he use his mouth to blow air into the tummy of the bird or did he use some machine to do it?

    Using his mouth doesn't seem hygenic to me.
    The owner used his mouth.. as per CH U showed.. Only a quick flash ahead of a Chinese cuisine show.

  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Best is blowing with a pump into the chicken's backside.

    Tie the beak with a string. If not air will come out from it.

    Sometimes I will insert a ballon into the chicken's tummy first to avoid air from escaping.
    I think nobody does it better than LindaChew.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #18

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I think nobody does it better than LindaChew.
    You mean where CS was reminded of 'her' true 'talents' (#322 and #329 of http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...1303&page=17)?

  19. #19

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I think nobody does it better than LindaChew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    You mean where CS was reminded of 'her' true 'talents' (#322 and #329 of http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...1303&page=17)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    let me know what you see, especially one it gets dark
    i have switched off my curiosity sensor..

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: How do they make roasted chicken for chicken rice stall?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    The owner used his mouth.. as per CH U showed.. Only a quick flash ahead of a Chinese cuisine show.

    Thanks for the info. No chicken rice for me from now on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •