Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: DSLR Shops

  1. #1
    Member Deloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    89

    Default DSLR Shops

    Hi Sirs,

    I am about to buy a DSLR within the week. I know the most popular shops are alan photo, ms color, cathay, john3:16 and alot others but i havent heard any reviews or anybody who bought their treasured DSLR at "Joy's Electroworld" in funan. They offered me a canon 500D about 100SGD cheaper than the previously mentioned shops.

    So I would just like know if i'll be having a great buy if i got it from Joys.

    Also, why is it that shops in sim lim can offer international warranty for the bodys while shops at funan cant?hehe

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Deloi View Post
    Hi Sirs,

    I am about to buy a DSLR within the week. I know the most popular shops are alan photo, ms color, cathay, john3:16 and alot others but i havent heard any reviews or anybody who bought their treasured DSLR at "Joy's Electroworld" in funan. They offered me a canon 500D about 100SGD cheaper than the previously mentioned shops. So I would just like know if i'll be having a great buy if i got it from Joys.
    If you got a good price quote, then buy it there. But just buy the camera there. Reject their attempt to sell you any accessories. This is usually where they make their money. Buy your filters, extra battery, etc.... elsewhere.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deloi View Post
    Also, why is it that shops in sim lim can offer international warranty for the bodys while shops at funan cant?hehe
    Because they offer hot air that will disappear as soon as you pay up. Most manufacturers only offer local warranty for camera bodies. It is the same here, in USA, and most parts of the world.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd March 2010 at 08:21 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Deloi View Post
    They offered me a canon 500D about 100SGD cheaper than the previously mentioned shops.

    So I would just like know if i'll be having a great buy if i got it from Joys.

    Also, why is it that shops in sim lim can offer international warranty for the bodys while shops at funan cant?hehe
    1. Learn to read between the lines... make sure they don't try to sell you rubbish "wide angle converters" or any such nonsense.

    2. Many Sim Lim shops work on the presumption that if you ask about international warranty, you're a tourist, and will be looooong gone by the time your camera fails, and won't fly back to SG just to complain.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Member Deloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Thanks Rashkae & daredevil123. You guys gave a really good advice. coz they're actually selling me stuffs other than the one i need (they're pretty convincing though.hehe)

    I have another dilemma,,, should i wait for the IT show? or should I wait for the 550D coz for sure 500D will drop its prices.

  5. #5
    Member akangtooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    hi,

    nothing much to expect on IT show but instead freebies are there, which can be a savings, but some freebies they are offering in IT show aren't that relevant, but ur call...

    important is to test the camera body, see the papers, warranty card, make sure they have stamp on it with there comp name...receipt ofcourse....

    goodluck...

  6. #6
    Member Deloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by akangtooch View Post
    important is to test the camera body, see the papers, warranty card, make sure they have stamp on it with there comp name...receipt ofcourse....

    goodluck...
    hi akangtooch! thanks for the reply.. uhm with regards to the stamp, just a clarification, the warranty card should be stamped with the shops name?

  7. #7

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Hi,

    Just to add on to TS's question, what happens when the warranty is not stamped by the dealer? Will NSC honour such a warranty when i only have the original receipt bearing the dealers name?

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    Hi,

    Just to add on to TS's question, what happens when the warranty is not stamped by the dealer? Will NSC honour such a warranty when i only have the original receipt bearing the dealers name?

    Cheers
    That is good enough.

  9. #9

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Deloi View Post
    Hi Sirs,

    I am about to buy a DSLR within the week. I know the most popular shops are alan photo, ms color, cathay, john3:16 and alot others but i havent heard any reviews or anybody who bought their treasured DSLR at "Joy's Electroworld" in funan. They offered me a canon 500D about 100SGD cheaper than the previously mentioned shops.

    So I would just like know if i'll be having a great buy if i got it from Joys.

    Also, why is it that shops in sim lim can offer international warranty for the bodys while shops at funan cant?hehe
    try slr revolution at funan..in my experience they always give the lowest quotation, excellent customer service too

  10. #10
    Member akangtooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    yup, if no stamp the official receipt will do...
    but haven't encountered though, my warranty cards all have stamps from the seller...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Ive bought a flash from this shop before and yes, some of their prices are really attractive.

    My flash is still working and yes, they did stamped the warranty card.

  12. #12

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Deloi View Post
    Hi Sirs,

    I am about to buy a DSLR within the week. I know the most popular shops are alan photo, ms color, cathay, john3:16 and alot others but i havent heard any reviews or anybody who bought their treasured DSLR at "Joy's Electroworld" in funan. They offered me a canon 500D about 100SGD cheaper than the previously mentioned shops.

    So I would just like know if i'll be having a great buy if i got it from Joys.

    Also, why is it that shops in sim lim can offer international warranty for the bodys while shops at funan cant?hehe
    the best way to check if the camera is covered under international warranty is to ask the sales person to point out on the warranty card the part that says so.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Since its at Funan, you should check out SLR Revolution at level 5 to compare the prices. Prices are one of the most competitive here. And you gotto check out John 3:16 on the same floor too
    Last edited by stanley2606; 3rd March 2010 at 02:28 PM.

  14. #14
    Member Deloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths View Post
    Ive bought a flash from this shop before and yes, some of their prices are really attractive.

    My flash is still working and yes, they did stamped the warranty card.
    dav,, which shop?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    the best way to check if the camera is covered under international warranty is to ask the sales person to point out on the warranty card the part that says so.
    hahaha nice one!

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by stanley2606 View Post
    Since its at Funan, you should check out SLR Revolution at level 5 to compare the prices. Prices are one of the most competitive here. And you gotto check out John 3:16 on the same floor too
    You sure?

    See this:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658011

  16. #16

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That is good enough.
    Phew! thks for the info.

    Cheers

  17. #17
    Member lonarciso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    226

    Thumbs up Re: DSLR Shops

    good info...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up!
    I guess one should always be careful and do your research / comparisons before you buy.

  19. #19
    Senior Member peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    5,072

    Default Re: DSLR Shops

    Hi welcome to clubsnap, the IT show is next week on the 11 to 14 March. try to look aroud the booth for good deal

    Good luck in your finding
    Love insects Macro Photography本杰明 More Pctures at my Blog at bennieHsu

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •