Thread: Anyone tried taking photos with Just your Left hand?

Default Anyone tried taking photos with Just your Left hand?

I recently fractured my wrist and have been going around taking photos with one hand. Just wanna know anyone else who has gone through a similar or same experience. It can be a real pain at times,

Some changes that i went through were using my left eye instead of my right so as to get more stabilisation. Everyone around me would stare at me with weird looks smacked on their faces. Slow to take photographs, always missing the moment were some of the norms of my onehanded life. Changing lenses were a real pain, especially if i had to do it without a table or chair nearby. and editing photos were the worst!! I'm right handed so using my left hand to edit photos really sucked! Plus you cant use the short cuts cuz you only hand is on the mouse!

what are the perks to being handicapped in this way?

How did you overcome your 'disability'?

Did your photos get better, same or worse?

Changing lenses?

Feel free to share, flame, make fun, etc.. etc..
    Last edited by mynameisgreg; 1st March 2010 at 05:59 PM.

Default Re: Anyone tried taking photos with Just your Left hand?

I din touch camera when i fractured my right wrist. lol

The only time when I shoot with my left hand is when I shoot a self portrait of my own face/ me together with others (up to shoulder level). Otherwise i wouldnt use my left hand at all.
    I love macro close-up and portrait photography

how the heck do u shoot with ur left hand when the shutter button is on the right, holding up ur camera, and aim at the same time? somemore dem hard to zoom or chance settings....
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgreg View Post
    I recently fractured my wrist and have been going around taking photos with one hand. Just wanna know anyone else who has gone through a similar or same experience. It can be a real pain at times,

Some changes that i went through were using my left eye instead of my right so as to get more stabilisation. Everyone around me would stare at me with weird looks smacked on their faces. Slow to take photographs, always missing the moment were some of the norms of my onehanded life. Changing lenses were a real pain, especially if i had to do it without a table or chair nearby. and editing photos were the worst!! I'm right handed so using my left hand to edit photos really sucked! Plus you cant use the short cuts cuz you only hand is on the mouse!

Changing lenses?

Someone with your situation HERE
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

if you are shooting for living, you should stop shooting, this is not an excuse to give your clients sub-standard images.

if you are shooting for leisure, you should take a brake. it is just a hobby.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if you are shooting for living, you should stop shooting, this is not an excuse to give your clients sub-standard images.

if you are shooting for leisure, you should take a brake. it is just a hobby.
    Agreed

just observe steve mccurry. =D
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    how the heck do u shoot with ur left hand when the shutter button is on the right, holding up ur camera, and aim at the same time? somemore dem hard to zoom or chance settings....
    Rotate the DSLR and use the shutter button on the battery grip with your left index finger. You will have to rotate the image during post processing though as the DSLR is upset down in such a situation.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

i go out alone.. put cam on tripod, prefocus.. then stand in front of the cam and click remote control.. with Just my Left hand.

turn on face detection, turn on smile shutter, hold camera in left hand and ask people to smile at your camera...
    天国近了。
    Sony A550 & C3

@CS TAN
    Thanks! thats a good read! seems like its not that rare of photographers breaking their right arm. i wonder why...

@catchlights
    Im shooting for leisure. Currently overseas, i cant resist leaving my camera at home while amidst the beautiful scenery. hehe.. although i really should...

@clown
    Steve Mccurry? pardon my ignorance, but i thought he has 2 well working hands?

@dRebelXT
    haha same!

haha i really wish my cam has face detection and smile shutter now!

@CS TAN
    Thanks! thats a good read! seems like its not that rare of photographers breaking their right arm. i wonder why...

@catchlights
    Im shooting for leisure. Currently overseas, i cant resist leaving my camera at home while amidst the beautiful scenery. hehe.. although i really should...

@clown
    Steve Mccurry? pardon my ignorance, but i thought he has 2 well working hands?

@dRebelXT
    haha same!

haha i really wish my cam has face detection and smile shutter now!
    no. his right hand is not very functional. he use it to grip the camera using a special handle attached to the bottom of the camera. everything else like focussing and all are done with the left hand only.
    sigh.

Changing lenses?

If me, I used a release cable when I sprained my wrist.

As for changing of lenses, I had my ex-gf helped me...

Blog Entries

hold a remote release wireless or wired on your left hand ?

and use a table top tripod ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 2nd March 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    no. his right hand is not very functional. he use it to grip the camera using a special handle attached to the bottom of the camera. everything else like focussing and all are done with the left hand only.
    Cool! never knew that!

hmmm too bad i dont have a gf with me to change lenses for me

haha i tried that, it works pretty well! only when ur moving around in crowded places its a hassle.

I actually got deeper into photography after fracturing my hand. Coz otherwise I'd still be out cycling early in the morning instead. Since cannot... went out take sunrise and other shoots but only after a certain amount of healing, not in the first few weeks.

Changing lenses?

These questions = passion for photography