Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shld newbie buy Nikkon D70?

Actually I would suggest getting a prosumer camera first rather than a dslr. Something like the A1, the G5 or the 602 would be a good place to start. Would be like of a cost if you decide that you are in only as a passing fancy. Also a good place to start if you serious about going into photography.

I am a newbie car License owner. Should I get a used Kia or a brand new Lexus? I don't want to waste my hard cash anyhow. Yes I have the dough, but please advise. I have heard that newbie drivers should start with cheap cars before buying more luxurious ones.

Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    I am a newbie car License owner. Should I get a used Kia or a brand new Lexus? I don't want to waste my hard cash anyhow. Yes I have the dough, but please advise. I have heard that newbie drivers should start with cheap cars before buying more luxurious ones.

Confused.

Analogy not so correct. Car can get into accident if driver is new hence... Will you sploil your camera just because you are new?

If have $$$, go for a good one. Despite what some members trying to mystify the skills involved, (which I do not quite agree, unless you are talking about pro level) you will be surprise how fast you can pick the the basic skill.

It is hi-tech era now, dun back-track to yesterday, unless budget constrained or you are just trying out only, not sure type OR you just want to snap decent shots as record only.

My analogy:

If U are newbie and have $, and
    U want to play hi-fi - what will you do? U take the $100 all in one system?
    OR if u want computer gaming? YOu get celeron?
    Or you want a LCD screen? You get 15" analog?
    Or you want mountain biking? U get the sub $100 bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    He is talking about post-processing. Images straight out of the DSLR are seldom perfect without post-processing of some sort. For film, it's just that your minilab operator does it for you behind-the-scene.

Actually post-processing can be a bad thing too, from what i gather. Since you are relying on someone else besides yourself to define what your work is, it becomes a matter of interpretation by the processor of your film and the type of paper they use. And also they don't have the time and money to tweak your pictures to get all the blacks and whites in your picture to give you the full tonal range.

Also, pictures from film are second generation photos, whereas digital is first generation. Because of this, there is usually more life in the digital pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by naviseal
    hi all, i am a newbie in d.photography.

i never use a digital camera before and i dun own one either.
    i am considering buying my very 1st d.camera and this Nikon D70 is my no 1 choice, as recommeded by some CS people here.
    Shld i buy this camera for beginner like me?
    hav heard someone said that beginner shld buy small d.camera to pratise before investing into a better and ex. one.
    i already have 2 other film type camera and buying a small d.camera and later the D70, i think is a waste of money leh.
    would like to heard comment before parting my hard earn $$$. thx
    hi naviseal,

you may a newbie to digital photography, but you are an experienced SLR user. i think a switch to the D70 will be quite easy for you. you may be frustrated by the slower response time of a digital/prosumer camera if you are used to the snappy response and handling of an SLR. the D70 is by all accounts an excellent DSLR and i would not hesitate to recommend it if you have the $$$. I'm still saving up to buy one!

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zombiez
    Film is too costly? Are you sure or not? If you have machinegun style of course it will be expensive. Else film will definitely be cheaper.
    You couldn't be more right!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedsjr
    Also, pictures from film are second generation photos, whereas digital is first generation. Because of this, there is usually more life in the digital pictures.
    Huh? What talking you?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Huh? What talking you?
    He obviously never seen slides vs digital before. And BnW film vs Digital BnW.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    hi naviseal,

you may a newbie to digital photography, but you are an experienced SLR user. i think a switch to the D70 will be quite easy for you. you may be frustrated by the slower response time of a digital/prosumer camera if you are used to the snappy response and handling of an SLR. the D70 is by all accounts an excellent DSLR and i would not hesitate to recommend it if you have the $$$. I'm still saving up to buy one!

yoz...corrections to yr statetment above, i am new to digital as well as SLR as i dun own any SLR camera. However i did learn some basic photograhy during my sec. school days, nothing much.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    He obviously never seen slides vs digital before. And BnW film vs Digital BnW.
    Slide got the best colour retention while B&W film is the riches in tone ...

Digital ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by naviseal
    yoz...corrections to yr statetment above, i am new to digital as well as SLR as i dun own any SLR camera. However i did learn some basic photograhy during my sec. school days, nothing much.
    oic... sorry. so what cameras have u used b4?
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    I think film being costly or not is rather subjective. For me, film is quite costly, since I shoot like 3 rolls of film/slide every week. The process fee, plus cost of film will add up to about $18 per roll, i.e. $54 per week. For a year, that's like $2808. And that's excluding the cost my SLR, and accesories! Mind you, I'm not a machinegun style shooter, and really hated it when the cost factor prevented me from experimenting with different exposure on the same composition. Sigh!

Still, I think film is more worth it, since there's no lying on film! What you shoot is what you get!

Shooting 3 roll a week is quite a lot. I only shoot when there is event or when i go for outing, can you share with me what did you shoot and how you find things to shoot?

Also at this rate, isn't your home going to be full of albums?

Quote Originally Posted by mikedsjr

do u know what u are talking ?
    care to explain ?
    never hear it b4 leh..

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Shooting 3 roll a week is quite a lot. I only shoot when there is event or when i go for outing, can you share with me what did you shoot and how you find things to shoot?

Also at this rate, isn't your home going to be full of albums?
    I do quite a bit of field work, so each time I go out, I would shoot about one to two rolls. Those are for my work. Not for artistic composition though, but for accuracy. So have a lot of picture when the fungus is dead-center one!

The other roll is more for the my interest, as either go around taking candid shots, or walk around different reserves to try out different composition. Thus, it would normally be three rolls for me.

As for albums, well, I normally process the film/slides without developing any photographs. So actually, I have almost no problem with having albums!

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    do u know what u are talking ?
    care to explain ?
    never hear it b4 leh..
    Second generation? Maybe he's talking about Star Trek!

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    I do quite a bit of field work, so each time I go out, I would shoot about one to two rolls. Those are for my work. Not for artistic composition though, but for accuracy. So have a lot of picture when the fungus is dead-center one!

The other roll is more for the my interest, as either go around taking candid shots, or walk around different reserves to try out different composition. Thus, it would normally be three rolls for me.

As for albums, well, I normally process the film/slides without developing any photographs. So actually, I have almost no problem with having albums!
    Field work? care to elaborate more?

But if two rolls are for work purpose, then you don't have to pay for the money developing that right?

huh? f you don't develope out the photo, how do you know the outcome of your shot? If you look at the film only, it would be very small and dun reflect out the real colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Field work? care to elaborate more?

But if two rolls are for work purpose, then you don't have to pay for the money developing that right?

huh? f you don't develope out the photo, how do you know the outcome of your shot? If you look at the film only, it would be very small and dun reflect out the real colour.
    Do field work as in go to field site at some place within or outside Singapore, do either collections or collect data, recce, etc. etc. Unfortunately, there's no grant for the project, so have to fork out the money to do whatever shooting there is. So bo bian lor!

As for development, I only select those I wanted to for development. You don't expect all the shots to be good. So the thing about photography is to keep those that are done properly, and discard those that ain't. Even professionals can't ensure that every time they snap on the shutter,they could produce poster-quality photographs, right?

When i say 'second generation', I mean that the pictures taken from film/slide and placed on paper have gone through TWO sets of lenses. The first lens(first generation) being the Camera itself. The second lens (second generation) being the lens to scan to put it on paper.

Digital is One generation, which is the lens from the Camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman

Confused.
    Maybe analogy not right. BUT most people would still understand what I am getting here. Minox, so what would you recommend Naviseal to do? I have seriously yet to see you post anything helpful. All I see is you criticizing others' comments and being a prick to a lot of people around here. You remind me of the Cash guy from before.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc17479
    Maybe analogy not right. BUT most people would still understand what I am getting here. Minox, so what would you recommend Naviseal to do? I have seriously yet to see you post anything helpful. All I see is you criticizing others' comments and being a prick to a lot of people around here. You remind me of the Cash guy from before.
    tmc17479

Don't start flaming each other lah! 'else I'll flame you too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast