Thread: VR on a Tripod

Default VR on a Tripod

Hi all,

Pardon the noob question? I have come across constantly that you are supposed to turn off VR when its on a tripod. This seems to be the standard advice given. I am just wondering why and what is that suppose to improve or not make worse?

Cheers all.

Smile Re: VR on a Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Treetrunk View Post
    Hi all,

Pardon the noob question? I have come across constantly that you are supposed to turn off VR when its on a tripod. This seems to be the standard advice given. I am just wondering why and what is that suppose to improve or not make worse?

Cheers all.
    good question... looking forward to a helpful response!

Default Re: VR on a Tripod

yah good question.. why huh?
    is it to save battery?
    Nikon D200 | 85mm f1.8D | 50mm f1.4D | 17-55mm f2.8 | SB800
    Michael Foto

VR means VIBRATION REDUCTION... the key word being vibration.

When you mount your camera on a tripod, what vibration is there? Provided it's a sturdy tripod, there's NO vibration. Thus, the camera/lens tries to correct for non-existent vibration, effectively making things worse...
    Exploring! :)

Hi,

So assuming that its on a sturdy tripod, the lens would still try to compensate even when there is no vibrations causing the captured image to look worse? Is that it?

Cheers

Blog Entries

.....and u are making the un-needed VR activity drain battery unnecessarily too
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Hi,

So assuming that its on a sturdy tripod, the lens would still try to compensate even when there is no vibrations causing the captured image to look worse? Is that it?

Cheers
    Sort of, yes.

Although some newer versions of VR do account for tripod mounting. But either way like ed mentioned, it is a waste of battery power too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

There's a section with regards to tripod. Actual behavior depend on the lens. For eg, Canon 18-200, the IS (Canon's equivalent of VR) does not switch off but goes into sleep when detected tripod. You can see the image moves slightly downwards about half the LCD display distance (at 10x magnification on Live View) as the lens rest.

oic. Thks all for your replies.

Cheers.

Hi,

Cheers
    The VR system expects movement during its operation. That's what it was designed to do: counteract unintended movement.

So imagine a system that's always waiting for the slightest movement, yet this time (when camera is on sturdy tripod), there's none. If it is slightly proactive at all, it will inadvertently create this movement all on its own.

imagine I tell you to sit in a dark and quiet room, and to only move when you hear a sound. So now you're expecting the sound, right? If there's absolute silence for 1 minute, do you think you'll be keeping still in that 1 minute? hehehe...
    I know it's not a very good analogy, but it sorta explains what I'm trying to say...
    Exploring! :)

not sure about modern day VR & IS etc, the older system, it does not detect if the setup has been mounted onto a tripod. when that happens, it is like, to make it simple to understand :

u listen to radio show right. when caller calls in, they sometime sound as though they are talking in a huge empty space, or there are irritating feedback. that is when they have the handset too near to a speaker.

same as the older IS system. instead of getting sharp images, the images will be blur.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Thks. Really appreciate all your examples to facilitate my understanding.

Have a great week ahead.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Cheers all.
    With VR on mounted on tripod, it will only do more harm than gd.. becos the internal mechanisms will result in very minor movements (nt visible to the naked eye) tat will affect the outcome of the pic.. VR (or IS ) is more for handheld
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son