Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: JB trip with Nikon D700

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default JB trip with Nikon D700

    Anyone been to JB (without car) with their DSLRs? I was thinking of bringing it along but am afraid that I might get robbed. We're going there in a group of 9 with 6 guys and 3 girls...Just a random question...Alot of ppl are telling me to just leave it at home...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    6 guys sound all right. But, there's still risk.

  3. #3
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    One suggestion is to dress down as much as possible & use cheapo backpack not flashy camera bags. Tap over the Nikon logo, model nbr & Fx logo so ppl will not see what cam it is to attract their attention. Try not to behave too much like 'Singaporean' so they(robbers) will not notice you ppl Avoid City Sq where it is notorious
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    6 guys sound all right. But, there's still risk.
    I think I'll go with the pink point and shoot that my mum has.....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    One suggestion is to dress down as much as possible & use cheapo backpack not flashy camera bags. Tap over the Nikon logo, model nbr & Fx logo so ppl will not see what cam it is to attract their attention. Try not to behave too much like 'Singaporean' so they(robbers) will not notice you ppl Avoid City Sq where it is notorious
    I don't have a camera bag.... I carry my cam and laptop with my tote most of the time.... The cheapest looking bag I have is this army coloured crumpler that I'm using....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    actually going around Europe with a DSLR is more risky getting it stolen then in JB i think ...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    actually going around Europe with a DSLR is more risky getting it stolen then in JB i think ...
    Cause in JB, things don't get stolen....They get ROBBED!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    River Valley
    Posts
    1,046

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    Cause in JB, things don't get stolen....They get ROBBED!
    i duuno... i know jb is not as safe as spore.. but i also know and feel a lot more unsafe in lots of other country compared to jb...

    jb safety also made worst with a clear contrast btw spore..

    for those taking SLR to jb.. just dont wonder into quiet areas... i mean, i know a lot of photography dudes there going ard with their dSLR ard JB and i so far never hear them getting into trouble..

    when carrying ur bag with ur gears inside, just be more careful when in queue and stuff...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    i duuno... i know jb is not as safe as spore.. but i also know and feel a lot more unsafe in lots of other country compared to jb...

    jb safety also made worst with a clear contrast btw spore..

    for those taking SLR to jb.. just dont wonder into quiet areas... i mean, i know a lot of photography dudes there going ard with their dSLR ard JB and i so far never hear them getting into trouble..

    when carrying ur bag with ur gears inside, just be more careful when in queue and stuff...
    Thanks for the inputs! I'll take note...Since its a one day trip where we'll most likely be going for food and some light shopping, I think I'll stick with a point and shoot....

  10. #10
    Member Atlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Behind the Camera
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    You can get rob in singapore also not just JB.
    Warmest Regards
    Atlas - Enjoy the World

  11. #11
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    You can get rob in singapore also not just JB.
    Good point there b'cos 'Low crime does not equate to No crime'

    Even P&S can get stolen from my personal experience. While watching a spectacular fountain show at Bellagio in LV and while all eyes were glued on the show, the P&S hanging on the pram got snitched w/o our knowledge
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marina Bay
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    You can get rob in singapore also not just JB.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    Good point there b'cos 'Low crime does not equate to No crime'

    Even P&S can get stolen from my personal experience. While watching a spectacular fountain show at Bellagio in LV and while all eyes were glued on the show, the P&S hanging on the pram got snitched w/o our knowledge
    Of course that goes without saying. But logically speaking, we all know that the chances of one getting his/her DSLR robbed in Singapore is alot lower than that in JB which is why this thread was created.

    One can argue that you never know when a robber may strike but I've yet to see anyone talk about it in this forum....

    Anyway, I think Spain is also another dangerous place to have your stuff stolen...

  13. #13

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    I went there alone by a bike last year. It was my 1st exploring trip intended for photo taking. Hook my DSLR on my neck during riding and walking to all attraction points, so far nothing suspicious was observed. I stayed up to 8pm waiting for clear of traffic jam.

    Anyhow, it's all depends on you. Don't make yourself appeared as weak or vulnerable.

  14. #14

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    Even P&S can get stolen from my personal experience.
    Perhaps, but P&S costs a lot less to replace.

  15. #15

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Just bring it and shoot. I dun understand why people get a camera and keep it in the cabinet.
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

  16. #16

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Are you on a paid assignment?

    If not, it might be better to use a simple/compact and enjoy the trip rather than worry.

    That's actually what a Mysian photo furum old bird shared with me when I asked a similar question. However, a group of 6 guys, IF they look capable of physically taking care of things, might tilt the balance somewhat.

    And no, in most instances, Singaporeans will still look and sound like Singaporeans no matter where they go, and I'm not talking about the typical SG in MY show-offs. The locals can still tell.

    However, Donnydan has a point. Besides equipment, the safety of the group may be involved. Your call, ultimately.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 1st March 2010 at 12:45 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Not worth the risk...just go and enjoy your shopping and makan at popular place if you really need to go.....I ever witnessed drug addicts with so call Aids needler demanding money from car driver along parking lot at street.....it happens so quickly that before you realized....they have long gone with bike riding accomplice

  18. #18

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    Of course that goes without saying. But logically speaking, we all know that the chances of one getting his/her DSLR robbed in Singapore is alot lower than that in JB which is why this thread was created.

    One can argue that you never know when a robber may strike but I've yet to see anyone talk about it in this forum....

    Anyway, I think Spain is also another dangerous place to have your stuff stolen...


    I think there are many DSLRs and D700 in JB. Based on what you think your D700 will be 'robbed' in JB? It depends on your safety awareness, nothing to do with the equipment.

  19. #19

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    bro, let's put it this way....the chance of a D700 getting stolen is lower compared to a handphone with camera getting grabbed....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  20. #20
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: JB trip with Nikon D700

    Black tape your camera
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •