Thread: filter cleaning methods

Default filter cleaning methods

Hi all,

had quite a bit of a nightmare cleaning my filter just now.

There was a fingerprint on it and so i tried using a microfiber cloth to wipe it off. Ended up making the fingerprint into a smudge.

Decided to try using the lens solution provided in the cleaning kit together with the microfiber cloth. same result. The solution probably left streaks there as well.

Then went to use lens tissue...fortunately it helped to clear up most of the mess on the filter.

What methods do you guys use?

Sometimes i wonder does the ease of cleaning depend on the filter itself? The one i tried to clean was a cheap Massa multi-coated UV filter. I wouldn't mind spending on a better filter like Hoya HMC ones as long as they're easy to clean
    Canon 5D Mark II

Default Re: filter cleaning methods

i have a Hoya HMC. not that easy to clean also. maybe its just me.

tried microfibre to wipe, but cant. so end up using lenspen to clean it

Quote Originally Posted by zarray View Post
    Hi all,

had quite a bit of a nightmare cleaning my filter just now.

There was a fingerprint on it and so i tried using a microfiber cloth to wipe it off. Ended up making the fingerprint into a smudge.

Decided to try using the lens solution provided in the cleaning kit together with the microfiber cloth. same result. The solution probably left streaks there as well.

Then went to use lens tissue...fortunately it helped to clear up most of the mess on the filter.

What methods do you guys use?

Sometimes i wonder does the ease of cleaning depend on the filter itself? The one i tried to clean was a cheap Massa multi-coated UV filter. I wouldn't mind spending on a better filter like Hoya HMC ones as long as they're easy to clean
    i used the lens tissue with solution after several shootings session but after every use i usually used a microfibre cloth...
    I am using a hoya filters and i have sweaty palms problem, so far i do not have any problem cleaning to prints o the filter

Er i use washing machine

Ok seriously, i just breathe on it and wipe it using microfiber~ clothe. Works for me, not so sure abt u guys
    Nikon D60|18-55|55-200|105 f/2.5 ai|35 f/1.8|
    My Flickr

if there is oil, using lens cleaning solution or isopropyl alcohol will help.

Folks who comment on Hoya's (or others) difficult to clean surfaces are probably not doing it right, or effectively.

My regime is simple:

1) Blow
    2) Brush
    3) Genuine leather Chamois wipe - one stroke per clean Chamois surface. May use breath.

By #3, usually grease, fingerprints and smudges are gone.

IF the surface is so heavily soiled that step #3 doesn't clear it up ...

4) Zeiss lens cleaning solution on an optical quality CLEAN microfiber - ONE stroke per clean area of microfiber ONLY.
    5) Breath and Chamois wipe to remove any solution residue (almost ALL lens cleaning solutions tend to leave some kind of residue or another).
    6) Blow
    7) Brush (using different brush than step #2).

The only variation is when there's dried/caked mud splatter or dried rain stains, then it's a plain water pre-wipe before using Zeiss lens cleaning solution.

That's the politically correct methods. In reality, you'll be surprised how safe and effective a clean cotton or drifit t-shirt can be.

Note: The Chamois I use is the Kodak brand - virtually extinct, but still gentler and more effective than most microfibers (even after 20 years). Aside, the Zeiss and Leica microfibers are among the best I've seen/used.