Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: What to start with

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Like I said before, its as expensive as you want it to be. It need not be an expensive hobby if you spend within your limits and wisely.
    But isn't it sad if you constrant your talent and fun to these limits and constraint? By going digital, you wlll have no such fear and even though the price a slightly expensive in the beginning, but i think it will eventually be balanced out in the long run.

  2. #22

    Default

    Let me sidetrack a bit here, I have seen some picture of model shoot nd those make over photo, and I would some doubts here.

    1) The complexion of the models all looks very good, do they apply heavy make up? or is due to the lighting? or is the wonder of photoshop?

    2) Do the photographer instruct the models what type of pose to pose or the models will decide on their own?

  3. #23
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    But isn't it sad if you constrant your talent and fun to these limits and constraint? By going digital, you wlll have no such fear and even though the price a slightly expensive in the beginning, but i think it will eventually be balanced out in the long run.
    Actually I shoot with both digital and film, and each really have its pros and cons. You may wish to visit this site to see the debate about digital versus film. There are plenty of other sites too debating about this issue. However, sadly, I think the best way for you to actually make a decision, is to try both out!

    Only then could you truly appreciate the differences between the two.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,667

    Default

    Why can't you take constraints and limits as a motivation to excel? If you think taking 3 rolls of film per week is too expensive, why not learn to edit your shots and take 1 or 2 rolls of solid images? A good photographer is not defined by how many images he take but the quality of his images dictates his level of competence.

    Also, I didn't say going digital is bad. Digital cameras do help make the learning curve a less steeper where capturing the images is concern. This however, can be easily be abused and treated as an easy way out. Cameras are there for you, how it is being used depends entirely on you.

  5. #25

    Default

    I'm newbies too.. but thanks to Stanley Lim DeMO on Monday .. I think I can answer this question already..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Let me sidetrack a bit here, I have seen some picture of model shoot nd those make over photo, and I would some doubts here.

    1) The complexion of the models all looks very good, do they apply heavy make up? or is due to the lighting? or is the wonder of photoshop?

    2) Do the photographer instruct the models what type of pose to pose or the models will decide on their own?
    1) A good Make Up will cover all the element on the face.. like pore, black head..and so on.. Good and Proper lighting will enhance the pictures.. Too much PS will look fake..

    2) A communication with the model is important. To understand them is the best.. That will make the Model more comfortable and will produce better pose..

    Just my POV lor.. I'm still blur blur one

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Let me sidetrack a bit here, I have seen some picture of model shoot nd those make over photo, and I would some doubts here.

    1) The complexion of the models all looks very good, do they apply heavy make up? or is due to the lighting? or is the wonder of photoshop?

    2) Do the photographer instruct the models what type of pose to pose or the models will decide on their own?
    No need heavy makeup, just good makeup will do. "Heavy" does not mean "good". Also some lighting and photoshop skill will help to make the complexion look good. (Do you really believe that a human skin can be flawless?)

    In my photo shoots, sometimes the models pose on their own, and sometimes we instruct the models to pose what we want, it depends on your experience and requirement.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    No need heavy makeup, just good makeup will do. "Heavy" does not mean "good". Also some lighting and photoshop skill will help to make the complexion look good. (Do you really believe that a human skin can be flawless?)

    In my photo shoots, sometimes the models pose on their own, and sometimes we instruct the models to pose what we want, it depends on your experience and requirement.
    No heavy makeup please! I don't want it to crack when she smiles! I'm not exagerrating. Just the foundation to prevent the glow, a properly lightly applied blusher, mascara, eye shadow and of course lipstick.

    If the model is not good looking, it will take too much makeup to make her look decent.

  8. #28

    Default

    So it would be better to get a experienced model rather than asking our friends to pose for us izzit?
    Last edited by Ice; 18th March 2004 at 11:10 AM.

  9. #29

    Default

    I have post these link of some picture that I have taken, but they did not have much respond, so i am posting it here again and hope that I can receive some sugguestion on how to improve my skill

    http://ryantay.fotopic.net/p3357922.html

    http://ryantay.fotopic.net/p3357921.html

    http://ryantay.fotopic.net/p3357920.html

  10. #30
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    I have post these link of some picture that I have taken, but they did not have much respond, so i am posting it here again and hope that I can receive some sugguestion on how to improve my skill

    http://ryantay.fotopic.net/p3357922.html

    http://ryantay.fotopic.net/p3357921.html

    http://ryantay.fotopic.net/p3357920.html
    Although I'm not experienced in photography (started only in January), I'd still gave some comments at your album. Hope you don't mind.

    Maybe you should also give some comments at my blog too! Think newbies should help each other out too, right?

    The link to my photoblog is situated at my signature. Just click on it!

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Although I'm not experienced in photography (started only in January), I'd still gave some comments at your album. Hope you don't mind.

    Maybe you should also give some comments at my blog too! Think newbies should help each other out too, right?

    The link to my photoblog is situated at my signature. Just click on it!
    Are you sure that you are a newbies? I seen your blog before and find that all the photo are well taken. I would have a lot more to learn from you.

  12. #32
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Are you sure that you are a newbies? I seen your blog before and find that all the photo are well taken. I would have a lot more to learn from you.
    Trust me on this... I'd only started photography in January, after I'd joined this site!

    I'll be lying if I say I'm a newbie in music, but I'm seriously a newbie in photography! If you scrutinise my pictures more, you would realise that most have either incorrect white balance, or incorrect exposure.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Trust me on this... I'd only started photography in January, after I'd joined this site!

    I'll be lying if I say I'm a newbie in music, but I'm seriously a newbie in photography! If you scrutinise my pictures more, you would realise that most have either incorrect white balance, or incorrect exposure.
    I don't even know how to tell the correct white balance and exposure.

    Back the the topic on incorrect exposure, I remember reading in the thread myth about photography that there is no correct exposure.

  14. #34
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    I don't even know how to tell the correct white balance and exposure.

    Back the the topic on incorrect exposure, I remember reading in the thread myth about photography that there is no correct exposure.
    Haha~! That thread is, frankly speaking, NOT recommended for an absolute newbie, since a lot of the myth are derive from a certain truth. Most of them are only myths when you justify them... Say for example of exposure, some would say that there's a proper exposure for a photogenic picture, while some would insist on another type of exposure for the more artistic feel. Remember, photography is like ultimately an art; and there's never right or wrong in art!

    I remember a lot of experts who would swear by using a low-speed film and small aperture to capture landscape (meaning a slow shutter speed) for minimum "noise" or grains and maximum details; yet there are some landscape pictures which uses ISO800 push to ISO1600 that give a grainy artistic feel to the picture. Who's right and who's wrong then?

    Anyway, probably you won't really know what I'm talking about... but I did learn a lot from picking up hints from this site, and I'm still learning! So we shall all learn together, yar?

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Haha~! That thread is, frankly speaking, NOT recommended for an absolute newbie, since a lot of the myth are derive from a certain truth. Most of them are only myths when you justify them... Say for example of exposure, some would say that there's a proper exposure for a photogenic picture, while some would insist on another type of exposure for the more artistic feel. Remember, photography is like ultimately an art; and there's never right or wrong in art!

    I remember a lot of experts who would swear by using a low-speed film and small aperture to capture landscape (meaning a slow shutter speed) for minimum "noise" or grains and maximum details; yet there are some landscape pictures which uses ISO800 push to ISO1600 that give a grainy artistic feel to the picture. Who's right and who's wrong then?

    Anyway, probably you won't really know what I'm talking about... but I did learn a lot from picking up hints from this site, and I'm still learning! So we shall all learn together, yar?
    Don't quite understand now, but hopes to understand it in the future. Ya we all learn together.

  16. #36
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Don't quite understand now, but hopes to understand it in the future. Ya we all learn together.
    Hee~! Saw your other post in the other thread asking about whether landscape need a subject or not. I have an answer in mind, but I shall just let Ah Pao reply you on that one. Anyway, a good way to start learning is by asking questions. The other way to do it, is to look at more pictures and try and emulate them. Also, a little bit of technical knowledge, like those in the techniques section of www.photozone.de would help you go a long way.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Hee~! Saw your other post in the other thread asking about whether landscape need a subject or not. I have an answer in mind, but I shall just let Ah Pao reply you on that one. Anyway, a good way to start learning is by asking questions. The other way to do it, is to look at more pictures and try and emulate them. Also, a little bit of technical knowledge, like those in the techniques section of www.photozone.de would help you go a long way.
    But scare ask too simple or silly question. The veteran will be thinking "Wah such things also dunno ah"

  18. #38
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    But scare ask too simple or silly question. The veteran will be thinking "Wah such things also dunno ah"
    Aiyah! That's why this is a newbie corner mah!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •