Thread: Airplanes and seats discussion thread - info & comments

Default Airplanes and seats discussion thread - info & comments

This is a thread to discuss and comment on the different types of aeroplanes, where to get the best seats, how to wrangle emergency row seats (whether they are better) and other related tips...

Cheers

Online check is a good way to get the best seats, otherwise, you have to be at the airport really really, otherwise all the best seats are gone.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Aircraft

A 380

Very quiet but avoid seats near the toilets and the rear, the flushing noises and people going up and down the stairs becomes very obvious.

The upper deck is better.

Customs is worse off now, with so many people off-loading at the same time.

Boeing 777-300 or 200

Get the ER version - the planes are newer with the 7" screen and better seats.

Boeing 747

These are getting really old now and rickety, avoid them if possible.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: Aircraft

The US airlines use older planes, forget flatcreen... they charge for peanuts, food everything. Its like a bus. Just use it and get out.

Default Re: Airplanes and seats discussion thread - info & comments

SeatGuru is an excellent source of reference for choosing your seating location.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    SeatGuru is an excellent source of reference for choosing your seating location.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. Only used it once myself, but it was SIN - SF - NY - SF - SIN -- on long flights the slightest extra comfort is a big thing, esp when you fly economy!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. Only used it once myself, but it was SIN - SF - NY - SF - SIN -- on long flights the slightest extra comfort is a big thing, esp when you fly economy!
    If you are flying economy with SQ, you can select the seats online. Just pay extra (I think its USD50) for the seats near the emergency exit. A small price to pay for greatly enhanced legroom though there are restrictions e.g. must be able-bodied, no kids, etc.

Be careful of choosing only emergency exit seats. The window seat can be near a bulkhead and limits legroom. So it is important to know the type of aeroplan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Be careful of choosing only emergency exit seats. The window seat can be near a bulkhead and limits legroom. So it is important to know the type of aeroplan as well.
    As long as there's no one in front of me lowering their seats ..... that's cool enough. Only downside for bulkhead seats - noisy infants in the centre row.

i always pick the seats slightly in front of the wings... so that i can get a good view of the clouds and sunrise/ sunset. I never like to have wings in my picture.

pity those who sit beside me... they hear shutter clicks throughout the entire flight lolz!
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    If you are flying economy with SQ, you can select the seats online. Just pay extra (I think its USD50) for the seats near the emergency exit. A small price to pay for greatly enhanced legroom though there are restrictions e.g. must be able-bodied, no kids, etc.
    I seldom fly more then 5 hours. Only once on CX to London. I purchased ticket from travel agent, and I could not select emergency exit row when online check in seats...

My friend, also purchase SQ ticket from travel agent, also can't select the emergency exit row. Wonder why?

Both of us perform the online check in very early - 48 hours if not wrong.