Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friend's face appeared in an AIA adcert but he didn't allow or know about it. how?

Default Re: My friend's face appeared in an AIA adcert but he didn't allow or know about it.

This is an advertisment with commericial value. The company makes or at least hopes to make money out of this ad. The text even suggest a link between the image and the text. If I were you, I'll write to AIA and demand that they give you a reason why they use your image without your permission and what they intent to do about it. Tell them that you'll go to the press and internet to tell everyone that this image was use without your knowladge, that AIA as a big company did not even bother to ask for your permission to use your face in the ad. If you can't depand on the law than pressure them base on their PR image. It have been done before with another major company and the person got something like $5K for his image being used without his permission, herad that the $5K was claim back from the ad agency and photographer.

BUT make sure that the image is really your friend!!! There have been many cases of mistaken identity due to photos that apear in the press.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Default Re: My friend's face appeared in an AIA adcert but he didn't allow or know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    For all you know, that event might have been an AIA sponsored one and whatever rights/consents might have already been given to the organizers in the entry form for participants.
    I think even if it is an AIA sponsed event and they have conditions stating that they can use the images, if no contract/release is signed, or sufficient notice up up to inform the public, it is still using without permission. In fact if there is such forms to be sign and the person did not sign, his case maybe stronger.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Wanna make your case stronger? Try the modesty approach. Your friend not wearing shirt right?
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Look on the bright side.
    Your friend can frame up that full page advert & keep for memories.
    How often does an ordinary individual get onto the papers without the wrong reasons?
    The picture is not unflattering too.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Look on the bright side.
    Your friend can frame up that full page advert & keep for memories.
    How often does an ordinary individual get onto the papers without the wrong reasons?
    The picture is not unflattering too.
    Well if you want to look at it this way, he can frame the picture and still get paid by AIA at the same time. Talk about having your cake and eating it

Blog Entries

some time back ex model hanis sued a massage company for using her image on their ad
    i believe she won the case, ask your lawyers to trace that case

Thanks for all your advice.

1. It is not a AIA-sponsored event. I helped run and take photos for the event, I should know
    2. At this stage, I am still considering my options for my friend, as he is currently away in KL.
    3. Definitely, I will try to get some compensation for him.

Cheers.

Oh by the way, AIA website is down, any email link anyone knows of how I can contact them?

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Oh by the way, AIA website is down, any email link anyone knows of how I can contact them?
    You can call our AIA Customer Care Hotline at 1800 248 8000 (For overseas calls, kindly dial 65-6248 8000) to check on policy matters, such as premium payment or policy loan enquiry.

You can visit our AIA Customer Service Centre temporarily located at 1 Robinson Road, AIA Tower, #09-00, Singapore 048542. We operate from 8.45am to 5.30pm (Mondays to Fridays, except Public Holidays)
    5char

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    This is an advertisment with commericial value. The company makes or at least hopes to make money out of this ad. The text even suggest a link between the image and the text. If I were you, I'll write to AIA and demand that they give you a reason why they use your image without your permission and what they intent to do about it. Tell them that you'll go to the press and internet to tell everyone that this image was use without your knowladge, that AIA as a big company did not even bother to ask for your permission to use your face in the ad. If you can't depand on the law than pressure them base on their PR image. It have been done before with another major company and the person got something like $5K for his image being used without his permission, herad that the $5K was claim back from the ad agency and photographer.

BUT make sure that the image is really your friend!!! There have been many cases of mistaken identity due to photos that apear in the press.
    It could be AIA told ad agency no budget for advert hence any image goes. Ad agency might have acquired this image from some local on-line stock photo.

AIA should be rich right now?

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_496719.html

BRITISH insurer Prudential is set to dominate the life insurance scene in Singapore and much of Asia after a huge new takeover deal with its origins in the global financial crisis.

Prudential confirmed yesterday that it plans to pay US$35.5billion (S$50billion) to buy American International Assurance (AIA), the Asian life insurance arm of American International Group (AIG).

The deal will allow AIG to pay back some of its US$182.5billion debt to the US government, which bailed out the insurance giant at the height of the financial crisis in late 2008.

As a result of the planned deal, Prudential will become the largest life insurer in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam, said its chief executive Tidjane Thiam. It will also become the leading international player in China and India, he said.

In Singapore, the combination of Prudential and AIA will create a powerful giant with a combined agency size of 7,800 insurance agents and more than 3.2million policies.

The merged entity's closest rival here will be local insurer Great Eastern (GE) Life with just 2,700 agents and three million policies. Market observers said it was too early to tell if there would be job losses.

to TS, 1. be sure that the event where yr friend was shot was not a sponsored event by AIA.
    2. be sure that by participating in their event, yr friend may have inadvertently 'agreed' to be shot and his images used by AIA in any manner deemed by them.

only when these two issues are looked into, then, it is time to talk about next step.

to TS, since you were on scene and claimed to know, these two abovementioned issues are non-issue, right?
    Last edited by reachme2003; 2nd March 2010 at 08:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all your advice.

1. It is not a AIA-sponsored event. I helped run and take photos for the event, I should know
    2. At this stage, I am still considering my options for my friend, as he is currently away in KL.
    3. Definitely, I will try to get some compensation for him.

Cheers.
    i believe that you cannot act on behalf of your friend, but you can do the legwork so that your friend can send a letter of demand

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    to TS, 1. be sure that the event where yr friend was shot was not a sponsored event by AIA.
    2. be sure that by participating in their event, yr friend may have inadvertently 'agreed' to be shot and his images used by AIA in any manner deemed by them.

only when these two issues are looked into, then, it is time to talk about next step.

to TS, since you were on scene and claimed to know, these two abovementioned issues are non-issue, right?
    Nope, the event is called Rockmaster, the sole sponsor of the event is Singapore Polytechnic. On our singlets, we only had to place "Singapore Polytechnic" as the logo.

The event is organized and run by a team, myself included in the Design/Photography department. The registration form for entry is super simple, not like those Standard Chartered kind, just a form waiving their indemnity for safety issues, and how to contest wrong decisions by the route judge.

Right now, one of our clubsnap members who belongs to the press has already approached my friend and I, but he's in KL now, so I'll contact AIA first, when he gets back, we'll decide together our next course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    It could be AIA told ad agency no budget for advert hence any image goes. Ad agency might have acquired this image from some local on-line stock photo.
    They always try to push the buck to the agencu claiming that the agency is the one respondsible for getting the image. The trick is to stay firm and insist that since it is their company's ad, you hold them respondsible to sort it out, stock photo or not

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i believe that you cannot act on behalf of your friend, but you can do the legwork so that your friend can send a letter of demand
    This is correct as advised by my firend's lawyer last time

Blog Entries

find out where the image came from
    who shot it
    then send the organisation and the offending photographer a letter of demand

How would a letter of demand look like?

Blog Entries

How would a letter of demand look like?
    normally a piece of paper with some text on it, best to send via registered mail if you are doing it by yourself, you can get a lawyer to do it for you too

Blog Entries

try this

Free letter of demand template

i googled it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast