Thread: Posting discipline

Default Posting discipline

All photos that you take fall into 3 categories,

1. You really really like (<5%)
    2. Ok only, but you cannot delete (40%)
    3. Trash (50%)

Now, my questions is HOW HOW HOW do you not post pictures in category two. Is it a natural process for newbies to post anything and anyhow?

My thought process goes like that "Hmmm, this photo ok only la, but it does show something that maybe someone may like..." Then i post.. And regret...

Maybe not taking enough photos to post..

The good forummers here post only DAMN SOLID photos, and they get kudos for it.. I wonder how they do it... (You know who these jokers are :P)

/rant

Default Re: Posting discipline

i think that mentality does stem from the posting style in clubsnap.

in some forums the focus is on standalone pictures - i.e. only one picture per thread posted. you might think that that tends to encourage solid posting, but that isn't true either, it just ends up being hoarded and spread out over a few days.

there's nothing wrong in thinking that perhaps you don't like this photo, and someone else might like it - as long as you can see some merit in it, the photograph will definitely speak to someone.

contrary to popular belief, no one takes 100% solid photos all the time, not even ansel adams, i would think. experimentation and trials are what allows us to branch out, understand, see more, practise. and everyone can always use practice for sure.

there is also the fact that something you thought was good yesterday might not be good today. yet you might find it good again 2 months down the road.

I don't think anyone takes 100% solid photos all the time, i can tell from my wedding photographer's photos, lol.
    Keepers are hard to come by, even though my newbie shutter count is about 10k now, i can say i REALLY like only less than 10 photos... :|

If you have second thoughts about the photo, chances are, it's not a good photo.
    I only post photos in (1), hardly post those in (2) unless I'm learning and/or want to gather more insights from people, or when I'm just sharing the location I've been to.

I think it all depends on your personal standards..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there is also the fact that something you thought was good yesterday might not be good today. yet you might find it good again 2 months down the road.
    Just like the girl you see today.

You think she is not so beautiful.

But 50 years later you look again she is si beh chio liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Just like the girl you see today.

You think she is not so beautiful.

But 50 years later you look again she is si beh chio liao.
    Sister of Benjamin Button?