Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED

Default Re: Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED

Quote Originally Posted by kengoh View Post
    I've considered that initally but would need to change lens ...
    Think the Tamron 28-300 @$350 would be a better choice, but I'll miss the 18-28 wide angle.
    You could bring along the 18-55mm kit lens along if you want the wide end. Alternatively, get the Tamron/Sigma 70-300mm for your tele needs. Both are cheap options with decent IQ. I had the Tamron 70-300 and was pleased with it, but I hardly shot at the long end. Unless you do a lot of wildlife, I don't see when else you need to shoot above 135mm.

But as night86mare said, I'm not you so I don't know what factors take priority. Convenience? Price? IQ?
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    Well, if the one lens option for you is not available because it is too costlye, then the next best thing for you is to reduce the trouble it causes you to change lenses. You can do this by:
    - thinking ahead -- anticipate what and how you want to shoot, to reduce the number of changes you need to make.
    - pack properly and practice your change -- develop an efficient change sequence, pack for it, and practice; this could become 2nd nature and you may eventually end up feeling that you don't need that 18-250 after all.
    I totally agree with this. My last trip to Japan, I brought 18-55 kit and 50mm but I switch between these 2 lenses very frequently. I do feel the trouble but when I look back at the pictures I took by changing to the correct lense, I realise the trouble is all worth it.
    Emphasize: Develop an efficient change sequence is very important in my opinion.
    Aaron Neo | flickr

Can't agree more with "Watchthewaves" - a DSLR is about multiple lens. If you don't want to change lens, then buy a bridge camera eg. Fuji Finepix is from 28-400mm; which I have. A DSLR gives you a lot more fun. Yes, practise, and that's what I am doing now. Keep the money, and buy lenses that you will want to use again and again and again...
    __________________________________________________ _
    http://living-a-good-life.blogspot.com

yeah as other pros metion(i'm a noob compare to them ) if u want wide angle get the sigma/tammy 70-300,its kinda cheap around $300plus can get one already.i myself own the sigma version i found out that u seldom reach 200-300mm unless u are shooting birds or planes like i use it for the recent singapore airshow to shoot the aerial display but most of the pic came out kinda underexpose still learning though
    Pentax K-x(red)[/COLOR] Be Interesting Pentaxian=)

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogh53 View Post
    Can't agree more with "Watchthewaves" - a DSLR is about multiple lens. If you don't want to change lens, then buy a bridge camera eg. Fuji Finepix is from 28-400mm; which I have. A DSLR gives you a lot more fun. Yes, practise, and that's what I am doing now. Keep the money, and buy lenses that you will want to use again and again and again...
    Changing lens is not practical all the time, e.g. while in a tour group. Also an 18-250mm doesn't mean you only use that all the time. I bring along my 50mm f/1.4 as well as the 18-250mm when I go on holiday. Bringing two lenses is ok for me, 3 is a little pushing it.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

Thanks guys. Think I left out my req'ment.
    After my 1st visit to birdpark on CNY, I found I've deep interest in birding/wild life shoot. So the 250 or 300mm zoom will be good.

if i only had one 18-55mm lens, which would make a better companion lens, the 50-200mm, 18-250mm, 70-300mm or the 28-300mm? i really don't mind changing lenses during normal or travel shoots. at the moment my inclination is towards the 28-300mm, but am open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    Changing lens is not practical all the time, e.g. while in a tour group. Also an 18-250mm doesn't mean you only use that all the time. I bring along my 50mm f/1.4 as well as the 18-250mm when I go on holiday. Bringing two lenses is ok for me, 3 is a little pushing it.
    That's precisely what I'm facing. I brought with me 2 kit lens, 50/1.4 prime lens & ontop of that a wideangle convertor lens. I'll always use the 50/1.4 whenever there's an opputurnity.
    Sometimes also changing CPL filter from 1 lens to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    i second that. my 18250 and 50 f1.7 combo is for holiday only when travel light is the keyword. an additional of a macro lens if space permit

Quote Originally Posted by longj49 View Post
    if i only had one 18-55mm lens, which would make a better companion lens, the 50-200mm, 18-250mm, 70-300mm or the 28-300mm? i really don't mind changing lenses during normal or travel shoots. at the moment my inclination is towards the 28-300mm, but am open to suggestions.
    why get the 28-300mm lens and duplicate the 28-55mm range while suffering the IQ penalty?

either the 50-200 or 70-300, depending on whether size or the extra reach is more important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    why get the 28-300mm lens and duplicate the 28-55mm range while suffering the IQ penalty?

either the 50-200 or 70-300, depending on whether size or the extra reach is more important to you.
    makes sense, thanks.

On my recent Gold Coast holiday I used the DA 12-24mm, Sigma 17-70mm and DA 50-200mm WR. Most used lens was... the Sigma.
    If Pentax made a zoom with a range like say 18-135mm (something like what Nikon has), that would be something I definitely might consider.

Thanks guys. Think I left out my req'ment.
    After my 1st visit to birdpark on CNY, I found I've deep interest in birding/wild life shoot. So the 250 or 300mm zoom will be good.
    If birding and wildlife is your aim, then a superzoom is really not the right way to go. Superzooms exist purely for convenience, they are mediocre in every other aspect. Initially you seem pretty bent on getting maximum convenience and not change lens. But now you've identified birding and wildlife as the reason you're looking for more reach. If that's the case, then a more dedicated telephoto lens is going to give much better results and a bit more speed while costing less (much much less if you go with either Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm).

Changing lens is not going to be much of an issue, as for birds and animals you're going to be using 100mm or more almost all the time. And 300mm is going to give you twice the improvement in reach over 200mm, compared to 250mm, it's a difference you'll appreciate.

Ultimately, you'll have to choose if you really want the convenience or something more suited for the subjects that you like.
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

Deregistered

I've considered that initally but would need to change lens ...
    Think the Tamron 28-300 @$350 would be a better choice, but I'll miss the 18-28 wide angle.
    I also have that lens.Will be quite heavy on your camera

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    I also have that lens.Will be quite heavy on your camera
    WEIGHT - Heavy is one thing to definitely consider... especially after carrying the equipment for several minutes... ouch! I use specialized camera brackets to help somewhat with this problem when I have no other option but to handhold heavy equipment for long periods.

IMAGE QUALITY (IQ) - Most important to me... I compared several long zooms and ended up deciding that the one with the best IQ was undoubtedly the Pentax DA/DAL 55-300mm across most of its focal range. What's the point of investing in a cheaper long zoom lens when you cannot use a good portion of its focal range (i.e. encounter softness, aberrations, etc.)

BOKEH - Important to me to quite an extent. Hate the harsh busy-looking hard-edged bokeh found in several lenses. Often am willing to pay an additional premium for better bokeh.

COST - Least important to me (when it comes to buying quality lenses)... because unlike camera bodies, I know I can actually 'invest' in my lenses without suffering too much depreciation. Good lenses always seem to have a ready buyer and sometimes you even get more than what you initially paid for it. At other times you just lose a fraction of your original investment.

BUILD QUALITY - Important to me when I plan to use the lens a lot.

BRAND - Least important to me. All brands have their loyal fans and their pros and cons. I'm, therefore, no FANBOY of any particular brand... I'm actually a FANBOY of particular camera models and specific lenses.

Now let me disclose to you a secret in your ears... come closer! I found out, much to my surprise, that my DAL 55-300mm offers quite impressive IQ... almost as sharp as a prime lens at several focal lengths... for a fraction of the cost. Bokeh is acceptably pleasing too. That said, its still considerably slower than a prime of equivalent focal length. So I also have some long range primes in my collection too for use when necessary.

Hope this helps you with your decision making. I don't think you can go wrong with the Pentax DA/DAL 55-300mm. The Pentax/Tamron 18-250mm offers more convenience but with a slightly perceptible sacrifice to IQ... but still is a fantastic piece of optical engineering if the convenience factor is more important to you than the IQ factor.

I'd buy both if I got them at great prices and try them out personally... and then get rid of the one if I think it does not meet most of my personal needs... or if I notice that a particular piece of camera gear remains a hardly used OR unnecessary duplication in my collection after a while.
    Last edited by sircam; 26th February 2010 at 02:41 PM.

wow 18-250 cost $860 might aswell lose the 50mm and get the tamron 18-200mm which is $380 [the Sigma one which i have costs $430 ]at SLR R which they have stock for pentax mount 50mm on telephoto dosent really make alot of difference unless youre saying 300mm but between 200 and 250 its not much you can find some photos and see the difference is mnimal

Anything over $700 is exorbitant. The Tamron version* should be around there or lower.

EDIT: *of the 18-250mm
    Last edited by woefulwabbit; 26th February 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

better avoiding the tamron 18-200, which is significantly worse in terms of IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by poppyer View Post
    better avoiding the tamron 18-200, which is significantly worse in terms of IQ.
    I fully second this opinion... especially for one who is NOT a newbie. If one is a newbie who has very little DSLR experience and has little to no experience with the better quality glass available, please do ignore my suggestion below.

Get a very good or the best lens in the first place because you will get back most of what you spend on it. You will also benefit by obtaining great IQ when you use it.

Get a lousy lens and you might save half the amount. But even after spending 50% of the value of a good lens, you won't be able to enjoy the great IQ. You might also have to incur a further loss when selling it off subsequently.

When chicken salad costs 'X' and chicken sh*t costs half of 'X' it doesn't become difficult at all for me to decide which lens I should purchase. Do pardon my 'crappy' comparison here. If I am in doubt about spending 'X' amount on a new version of any lens... I'd then consider getting a cheaper second hand version. A well maintained second hand version often makes a new version unnecessary.
    Last edited by sircam; 26th February 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sircam View Post
    WEIGHT - Heavy is one thing to definitely consider... especially after carrying the equipment for several minutes... ouch! I use specialized camera brackets to help somewhat with this problem when I have no other option but to handhold heavy equipment for long periods.
    Hehe......haven't tried carrying for long periods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast