Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 81

Thread: overpaid for a filter?

  1. #41
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    I can buy my lens everywhere, but in the end I will still buy all my filters from OP. Never had an issue with them. The folks at OP will also openly tell me that their pricing is not that great for certain models/brands they stock and ask me to look elsewhere. I give them credit for that. They have me as a loyal customer. But no matter how loyal a customer you are, you still need to do your homework.

    Never liked J316. Walked in once, waited a while, ask for something, out of stock and walked out. I felt they were too friendly. And from my years with dealing with salespeople, the friendlier they are, the more you have to be on the defense. But some people dig the friendly thing.

    And for people who say it may be a mistake... Don't you find it funny that the "mistakes" are always in their (J316) favor if not challenged or found out? *shrug*. I feel business is business. IMO, just because the shop have a name that might mean something in a certain belief system, will not automatically mean the people running the business are totally fair and trustworthy. In the end, it is a business.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th February 2010 at 01:04 PM.

  2. #42

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    i don't like their "friendliness" too... isn't it tiring to put on this mask the whole day? i can't do that for sure...

  3. #43

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I can buy my lens everywhere, but in the end I will still buy all my filters from OP. Never had an issue with them. The folks at OP will also openly tell me that their pricing is not that great for certain models/brands they stock and ask me to look elsewhere. I give them credit for that. They have me as a loyal customer. But no matter how loyal a customer you are, you still need to do your homework.

    Never liked J316. Walked in once, waited a while, ask for something, out of stock and walked out. I felt they were too friendly. And from my years with dealing with salespeople, the friendlier they are, the more you have to be on the defense. But some people dig the friendly thing.

    And for people who say it may be a mistake... Don't you find it funny that the "mistakes" are always in their (J316) favor if not challenged or found out? *shrug*. I feel business is business. IMO, just because the shop have a name that might mean something in a certain belief system, will not automatically mean the people running the business are totally fair and trustworthy. In the end, it is a business.
    I totally agreed with you.

  4. #44
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    alamak, be friendly kana complain, be ah beng also kana complain. life is hard as a salesperson.

    anyway, just go back to Sam to clarify this issue lor.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  5. #45

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    They may have quoted the price of a CPL instead. Yup....do go down and clarify with them.

  6. #46

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I can buy my lens everywhere, but in the end I will still buy all my filters from OP. Never had an issue with them. The folks at OP will also openly tell me that their pricing is not that great for certain models/brands they stock and ask me to look elsewhere. I give them credit for that. They have me as a loyal customer. But no matter how loyal a customer you are, you still need to do your homework.
    i OP

    rightly gruff, never need to haggle much for price, because you know they won't anyhow mischarge you.

    yes, they told me that they can't give me a good price for certain products before, and say that i should go elsewhere.

  7. #47

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    I used to get my stuff from J3:16 but not anymore... had number of unhappy experiences with them... anyway this is their loses since they had lost a number of sales from me.

    Back to topic, TS you are not alone, I once bought a B+W UV filter from J3:16 at the price different of $30 - $40. I do hope that yours is a mistake from their end cos you are essential paying double the price.

  8. #48
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I can buy my lens everywhere, but in the end I will still buy all my filters from OP. Never had an issue with them. The folks at OP will also openly tell me that their pricing is not that great for certain models/brands they stock and ask me to look elsewhere. I give them credit for that. They have me as a loyal customer. But no matter how loyal a customer you are, you still need to do your homework.

    Never liked J316. Walked in once, waited a while, ask for something, out of stock and walked out. I felt they were too friendly. And from my years with dealing with salespeople, the friendlier they are, the more you have to be on the defense. But some people dig the friendly thing.

    And for people who say it may be a mistake... Don't you find it funny that the "mistakes" are always in their (J316) favor if not challenged or found out? *shrug*. I feel business is business. IMO, just because the shop have a name that might mean something in a certain belief system, will not automatically mean the people running the business are totally fair and trustworthy. In the end, it is a business.

  9. #49

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by sukhoi37 View Post
    I dun think it's a mistake.
    They also quote me around $110 for a 72mm kenko pro1d uv filter.
    The salesperson(a young short guy) even took out the filter to show me how good the quality.
    I almost laugh at him lol, I bought a 77mm b+w uv filter only for around $90.
    Can"t Imagine how many newbies already kena 'ripped off'.
    Good to know I wasn't the only one who was quoted $110 for a 72mm Kenko pro1d uv filter.

    I found it weird why a kenko pro1d uv filter cost $110 when a 72mm Hoya hd and b & W just cost $85-/- in clubsnap's mass sales section.

    In the end I bought a 72mm Hoya hmc filter from Mscolor for $52 only.

    So far the only two shops that give me reasonable prices for filter are Lords and Mscolor.

  10. #50
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by gibberi3h View Post
    Good to know I wasn't the only one who was quoted $110 for a 72mm Kenko pro1d uv filter.

    I found it weird why a kenko pro1d uv filter cost $110 when a 72mm Hoya hd and b & W just cost $85-/- in clubsnap's mass sales section.

    In the end I bought a 72mm Hoya hmc filter from Mscolor for $52 only.

    So far the only two shops that give me reasonable prices for filter are Lords and Mscolor.
    Wow, that is even $20 more than I paid for a 72mm Kenko Pro1D wide-band slim CPL.

    Supporters of the "mistake theory" should think again. Lightning strikes the same place that many times? I really hope Sam or his dad will really look into this crazy pricing strategy or it will definitely hurt their store reputation as well as the belief system the store name represents.

    And gibberi3h, a 72mm Kenko Pro1d protector filter should run you slightly cheaper that what you paid for the Hoya HMC (<50). And the HMC should cost a little lower than what you paid too.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th February 2010 at 10:03 AM.

  11. #51
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by donkey69 View Post
    alright, it seems that i really should bring down the receipt, ask them for a quote, then ask them nicely why i paid 160, and now they only quote me $xx. it isnt the issue about money now, it's just that i am unhappy with such sale techniques, if the sales assistant really quoted me sky high prices for comm. but i do remember leslie/ the boss which i cant remember his name serving me.
    So any updates? Did you get an answer to why you paid $110 over what a competitor quoted for the same thing? Yes, I got my 77mm pro1D at 50.

    It is such a sad thing that in most stores in Singapore, I have to do my homework on every item I want to buy. I just can't walk into a store, see something I like, and buy it on the spot without getting ripped off or overpaying. Without doing homework, I have been schooled in many reputable stores. Even buying in China, I do not get over quoted as much. Sad. So in Singapore now, I will only shop at 3 places: OP, Cathay (just because of old relationships), and most recently, SLR-R.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th February 2010 at 10:01 AM.

  12. #52
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    yeah, 3 days already. Perhaps like a lot of people, TS just comes to CS to complaint and will do nothing about it.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  13. #53
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    yeah, 3 days already. Perhaps like a lot of people, TS just comes to CS to complaint and will do nothing about it.
    Yea bro. That is why the stores can continue doing what they do.

  14. #54

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Wow, that is even $20 more than I paid for a 72mm Kenko Pro1D wide-band slim CPL.

    Supporters of the "mistake theory" should think again. Lightning strikes the same place that many times? I really hope Sam or his dad will really look into this crazy pricing strategy or it will definitely hurt their store reputation as well as the belief system the store name represents.

    And gibberi3h, a 72mm Kenko Pro1d protector filter should run you slightly cheaper that what you paid for the Hoya HMC (<50). And the HMC should cost a little lower than what you paid too.

  15. #55
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    east
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    been pretty busy these couple of days, so didnt have the time to go clarify matters with the store. will do so real soon and update u guys!

  16. #56

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    DAMN!

    I should have checked here before buying my UV filter.

    Just got mine a couple hours earlier and realized one of the sellers here selling Mint ones for only $36!! I got mine for $75!

    What's more.. it's Vitacon! (didn't know there were so many bad reviews)

    I really feel like going back and demand for a refund, or at least exchanged for something else.

    But i dont have anything that i wanna exchange it to.

    By the way, there are so many types of Hoya filter. Which one is the closest to Vitacon Multi Coated Super Slim filter?

    HELP!!!!

  17. #57
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by berriess View Post
    DAMN!

    I should have checked here before buying my UV filter.

    Just got mine a couple hours earlier and realized one of the sellers here selling Mint ones for only $36!! I got mine for $75!

    What's more.. it's Vitacon! (didn't know there were so many bad reviews)

    I really feel like going back and demand for a refund, or at least exchanged for something else.

    But i dont have anything that i wanna exchange it to.

    By the way, there are so many types of Hoya filter. Which one is the closest to Vitacon Multi Coated Super Slim filter?

    HELP!!!!
    There is nothing close to a Vitacon Multi-coated super slim filter that is worth owning, since Vitacon is junk. Ask for a store credit for the amount you paid for it, and get a Hoya HMC or Pro1D. Do your homework this time round.

    But knowing the stores, you will not be able to get anywhere. They got you good, you think they will budge when you find out? Good luck trying though. And becareful also, some black-listed stores in SLS and Peninsular are known to beat up complaining customers as well. Not worth it for $60 ripoff. Maybe treat it as a lesson learnt and move on.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 1st March 2010 at 07:34 PM.

  18. #58
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by berriess View Post
    DAMN!

    I should have checked here before buying my UV filter.

    Just got mine a couple hours earlier and realized one of the sellers here selling Mint ones for only $36!! I got mine for $75!

    What's more.. it's Vitacon! (didn't know there were so many bad reviews)

    I really feel like going back and demand for a refund, or at least exchanged for something else.

    But i dont have anything that i wanna exchange it to.

    By the way, there are so many types of Hoya filter. Which one is the closest to Vitacon Multi Coated Super Slim filter?

    HELP!!!!
    eeeee.......vitacon

  19. #59

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by donkey69 View Post
    hi all, recently bought a 77mm kenko pro1d protector(w) filter from John 3:16. paid $160 for it. wondering if i got ripped off???
    wooooow...far worse than i experienced. Last December i bought a Tokina 11-16 at John 316 (my 3rd lense i bought there), and a Hoya UV that cost 100bucks!!. I thought they gave me the HD but its just the standard type, so the day after i went back and have them replaced it with kenko pro1d protector which cost around 60bucks i assume...and the 40bucks went straight to their pockets..

    Complete disappointment to John 316, ruined my trust...Blacklisted already in my shoplist!!
    John 3:16 Funan

  20. #60
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    I have the same experience with almost purchasing overpriced filters from John 3:16, I was about to pay but fortunately for me they do not except NETS and I pop into Alan Photo just to compare the prices to discover that it was around 50% cheaper than John 3:16 while on the way to the ATM.

    Got the filters from The Camera Workshop in the end.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •