Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81

Thread: overpaid for a filter?

  1. #21

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Give them (the shop) the benefit of the doubt and try bruno84sg's method.
    It just be an innocent mistake by the shop assistant or etc.

    Go/head down and ask them to re-quote a price for the filter and proceed from there is the price differs from the price you have paid.
    Either that or ask if they might have given you the wrong product you have purchased.

    No harm trying i would say

  2. #22

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    The benefit of doubt for repeated mistakes??

  3. #23
    Member NeTHaCk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by zelot View Post
    Give them (the shop) the benefit of the doubt and try bruno84sg's method.
    It just be an innocent mistake by the shop assistant or etc.

    Go/head down and ask them to re-quote a price for the filter and proceed from there is the price differs from the price you have paid.
    Either that or ask if they might have given you the wrong product you have purchased.

    No harm trying i would say
    yeah give them the benefit of doubt.. maybe they accidentally charged the price of CPL instead of UV
    Nikon D7000 : Tamron 17-50VC f2.8, SB-900
    Nikon D90 : Nikon 18-105 VR, SB-600

  4. #24

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    I'll just head back to the shop and ask for assistance in this matter.

  5. #25

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    I beg to differ Sir. Rip off is an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle according to dictionary.com. In this instance, he was not cheated and neither was he swindled. In Singapore context, if the seller did not intend to mislead nor attempt to cheat, and the buyer was willing to pay for the transection even if he is not aware of the true cost, then he has no cause to cry foul under the law. In Singapore, the term "Ripoff" is defined as an attempt to cheat.
    What ludicrous explanation is this? If the TS pays well over RRP, he is entitled to say what he feels and it would not be surprising if other readers feel or think the same. However, we won't know if the TS is just spinning a story. But if it is true, it is fine for the TS to say

    Rip off
    Swindle
    Cheat

  6. #26

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    you can just ask the shop about it.

    like others have said, john 3:16 charges more but is friendly - perhaps overfriendly.

    anyways, i don't think they overcharge that much - might be a mistake.

  7. #27

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    i also had this similar experience with one of the staffs there... ask abt a certain filter and he quoted like almost 40 dollar more than the average price, juz cant be bothered and ask again for the exact price from les... yup that les, which turn out only 5 dollar more than the mass sales here in cs...

    think its either a genuine mistake or u ask the wrong guy and he quoted u skyhigh to boost his comission...

    juz my 2 cents
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

  8. #28
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    I dun think it's a mistake.
    They also quote me around $110 for a 72mm kenko pro1d uv filter.
    The salesperson(a young short guy) even took out the filter to show me how good the quality.
    I almost laugh at him lol, I bought a 77mm b+w uv filter only for around $90.
    Can"t Imagine how many newbies already kena 'ripped off'.

  9. #29
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by sukhoi37; 25th February 2010 at 08:48 AM.

  10. #30
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    east
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    alright, it seems that i really should bring down the receipt, ask them for a quote, then ask them nicely why i paid 160, and now they only quote me $xx. it isnt the issue about money now, it's just that i am unhappy with such sale techniques, if the sales assistant really quoted me sky high prices for comm. but i do remember leslie/ the boss which i cant remember his name serving me.

  11. #31

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    ask for an equote. then you can have black and white when compare to your receipt
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  12. #32

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    ask for an equote. then you can have black and white when compare to your receipt
    Wait nong nong for the reply from them

  13. #33
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by obfuscate View Post
    What ludicrous explanation is this? If the TS pays well over RRP, he is entitled to say what he feels and it would not be surprising if other readers feel or think the same. However, we won't know if the TS is just spinning a story. But if it is true, it is fine for the TS to say

    Rip off
    Swindle
    Cheat
    My good Sir, TS is entitled to say what he feels. However, don't go around saying you're cheated simply because you are ignorant and didn't do your homework before making a purchase.

    Try going to Small Claims Tribunal and claime that you were cheated and then see whether the tides will turn against your favour. I have already mentioned earlier to approach the seller and see whether there was indeed a mistake in pricing and to claim the difference. Sometimes words spoken in a moment of haste will evoke a different outcome.

    Last edited by hotwork77; 25th February 2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  14. #34
    Member Chrissp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by donkey69 View Post
    alright, it seems that i really should bring down the receipt, ask them for a quote, then ask them nicely why i paid 160, and now they only quote me $xx. it isnt the issue about money now, it's just that i am unhappy with such sale techniques, if the sales assistant really quoted me sky high prices for comm. but i do remember leslie/ the boss which i cant remember his name serving me.
    I think many readers would be interested to hear the outcome since the shop is reportedly a reputable one. Maybe you can also ask at other shops to confirm the price they are selling at before going to John. Anyway, personally think that the price you had to pay is really ridiculous.

    Good luck!
    The camera and lens do not make bad photos, the photographer does.

  15. #35
    Member hetfieldpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    www.flickr.com/hetfieldpaul
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Just take it as a lesson learnt if you cant get your money back, remember to do your research next time, and the mass sale's section offers the best prices for HOya or b+w filters any day

  16. #36
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Filter is one of those items that has a huge fluctuated price. Most people only think of it after they bought the lens so the sales will always has a good opportunity to sell you a filter at a good profit margin.

    I plan my lens purchase in such a way that I bought the filter before the lens and will bring it with me when I go to buy the lens so I can put it on the minute I open the lens box. I have never had a problem with buying overpriced filters. Maybe it is just me...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  17. #37

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    should have at least check out the price in cs mass order bro...even 77mm B+W is cheaper than than what u've paid for....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  18. #38

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    IMO most shop earn lesser on the main items, they try to earn back on the small stuff. thus stuff like filter are more ex, shop got rent to pay, staff to pay salary to on top of their profit. its not fair to compare their price to MO price of filter. think its only fair that TS check to other shops for their price for the same filter and then compare those prices to that of john 3:16. and as most ppl know john is more EX on their price but make up with friendly services.

    IMO i think $10-20 more than other shop for john is norm in the case of good filter.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

  19. #39
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    I beg to differ Sir. Rip off is an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle according to dictionary.com. In this instance, he was not cheated and neither was he swindled. In Singapore context, if the seller did not intend to mislead nor attempt to cheat, and the buyer was willing to pay for the transection even if he is not aware of the true cost, then he has no cause to cry foul under the law. In Singapore, the term "Ripoff" is defined as an attempt to cheat.
    http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/ripoff?view=uk

    noun informal
    1 an article that is greatly overpriced.
    2 an inferior imitation.

    Since TS's filter wasn't an "inferior imitation", it was grossly overpriced. It was therefore a rip-off, understand?

  20. #40

    Default Re: overpaid for a filter?

    Actually if you go to a reputable shop, like Cathay, you may pay a little more for accessories if you do not know the market price but you will not expect to be ripped off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •