Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend me a tripod!

Default Please recommend me a tripod!

Hi all Cser.. I know this is a qns thats asked to death but.. im gonna ask again.

I'm looking to buy a tripod to go on landscape/night time shoots and am looking to buy a tripod. What would you recommend based on:

- the usual req for a tripod being sturdy yet reasonably light weight
    - fits my budget of $120 (i'm gonna scour the forums for a used one cos of budget constraint but at the same time open to all opinions)
    - i'm 164cm tall
    - any particular brands to avoid.. if any?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

Default Re: Please recommend me a tripod!

Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    Hi all Cser.. I know this is a qns thats asked to death but.. im gonna ask again.

I'm looking to buy a tripod to go on landscape/night time shoots and am looking to buy a tripod. What would you recommend based on:

- the usual req for a tripod being sturdy yet reasonably light weight
    - fits my budget of $120 (i'm gonna scour the forums for a used one cos of budget constraint but at the same time open to all opinions)
    - i'm 164cm tall
    - any particular brands to avoid.. if any?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    $120 is not going to get u a light weight tripod. The lightest will be 1.5kg for your budget. if you want 1.5kg and below, you need at least $200 to go for the aluminum type (probably sirui or benro).

Try benro tripod they are stable and price are good, look under buy/sell
    i don't really advice you to get the tripod with build in head
    they will be heavy and no option for future use.

i hope you can find a good one soon
    Love insects Macro Photography本杰明 More Pctures at my Blog at bennieHsu

And why don't you make the slightest efforts to have a look into the existing equipment threads?
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
    It's your money, your tripod - your decision.
    EOS

Why? Why would you want to deliberately and knowingly ask something that you know has already been covered to death? Why spam the forum needlessly?
    Alpha

You can get aluminium Benros from $130

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    You can get aluminium Benros from $130
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ighlight=benro
    Last edited by sinned79; 25th February 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Sirui is not too ex and good enough for a beginer. I got mine just under $200, comes with ballhead and a sling bag.

I use a generic those $20 something tripod when need to go light.

as long you dont put heavy load on, it works pretty well. Picture taken with 18-55mm.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    And why don't you make the slightest efforts to have a look into the existing equipment threads?
    It's your money, your tripod - your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Why? Why would you want to deliberately and knowingly ask something that you know has already been covered to death? Why spam the forum needlessly?
    alamak guys, TS is dysfunktional mah.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    alamak guys, TS is dysfunktional mah.
    perfectly okay to ask again by TS. flesh idea is better than old idea or compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted888 View Post
    perfectly okay to ask again by TS. flesh idea is better than old idea or compilation.
    Not when the idea is NOT fresh, and the answers are the same as before.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

there are some things that you should not save money on and a tripod is one of them

1. primary purpose of a tripod is to hold your equipment absolutely still during the exposure if it does not even perform it's primary purpose then it is useless no matter how cheap it is even if it was free or someone paid you to use it

2. a cheap/expansive tripod in the storeroom is a white elephant gathering dust

3. look for a tripod that can hold your equipment and that you will bring out and use

Buy a tripod which you willing to bring out 95% of every photography outing of yours. Not forgetting, the heavier/bulky the tripod you might bring it only 5% of the whole photography outing? So invest in tripod wisely. Save enough money to get the tripod that you like. Lightweight, easy to carry around and lastly it can hold the weight of your current DSLR with Lens. If you use those heavy long tele lens, then you really need to look for professional tripod. Have a look around at Cathay Photo and you will find one. You may even test them.

Cheers!
    Shoot and shoot and shoot
    Every shoot is a puzzle to the world of photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted888 View Post
    Hi Ted, CS is where we share experience & knowledge. If u have fresh idea on tripod system, better or not doesnt matter, than old idea or compilation, pls help contribute to this thread. Thanks.

okay i had no idea that asking such a question will lead to denniskee relating me to my user name. yes it may be an asked to death question, but new models are always coming out. and everyone's opinions are different hence i posted to hear some feedback. if you cant give decent comments, then its better that you shut up. (don't worry, i am contemplating a change in username to avoid the negative connotations with my current one lest more like denniskee will pick on my user name)

if it's asked to death and you can't stand replying to another newb, then don't. a forum should be for constructive discussion and it should stay that way.

and i recall this being the newbie forum hence i posted here since i dont know much about tripods with ball head and i have been reading various articles on tripods but most of them are out of my budget hence i decided to post to get a faster response.

@ octarine
    thanks for the link. i will be reading it. admittedly i just checked the buy n sell forum for equip and googled the info on them.

@ cartman / sinned / yamoto
    thanks for the recommendation, i will check it out!

@ reportage
    the cheap one i had broke (the lever to fix the height of tripod on it's "leg" broke) must have been really bad quality.

@ ortega / afipuffy
    what you've said is the mantra when it comes to buying a tripod. but may i know what u mean by holding equipment? you mean the hook that is normally used to hand weights to further stablize the tripod? i dont shoot with any heavy long tele lens at the moment, but i sure hope i can!
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

seriously.. your best bet will be in the buy/sell threads..

$120 is a little low for tripod, but not impossible..

it really depends on what you are looking for, especially the weight that tripod can hold..

else, can try going to H.N. & see whether they have sales or not...

Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional

if it's asked to death and you can't stand replying to another newb, then don't. a forum should be for constructive discussion and it should stay that way.
    Well, if a topic has been "asked to death" then it's likely that your question has been answered before. Judging from your first post, I conclude that you hadn't really bothered to search through this forum to find the appropriate sticky thread by bro denniskee which explains the choice process of getting a tripod in such detail.

(Just for your info, I clicked on 'search' at the top toolbar and typed in "tripod" in the search bar... guess what was the only sticky thread listed in the first page of my search result?)

A forum is a place for sharing of information, not regurgitation.
    How would you feel if you wrote an article on your topic of expertise, out of sheer love for the subject so that others may benefit... then someone comes along and asks a question that could have easily been discovered by reading your article?

Just remember that newbie does not equal "please spoon feed me with info"
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 26th February 2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Exploring! :)

but ur nick is dysfunktional mah, if u cant take a joke about ur unique nick (i did out 2 smilies at the back, see post #10), than why use dysfunktional?

maybe u can just cool down abit, go see see look look in cs forum, u will notice we always make funny with each other.
    Last edited by denniskee; 26th February 2010 at 05:20 PM.

@ ortega / afipuffy
    what you've said is the mantra when it comes to buying a tripod. but may i know what u mean by holding equipment? you mean the hook that is normally used to hand weights to further stablize the tripod? i dont shoot with any heavy long tele lens at the moment, but i sure hope i can!
    if u have make an effort to go through my write up, than why are u asking these question? is it something new?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast