Thread: upgrade 400D with lens or 50D or 7D

Unhappy upgrade 400D with lens or 50D or 7D

Hi all ,

I been planning some saving for upgrading lens and a speedlite 580mkII for my 400D which i been using many years. However i come across the EOS 7D and 50D, i wonder which should i choose with my limited saving.

1. 400D + 55-250 IS len (for longer distance and general use ) and one speedlite 580 mkII
    2. 7D body only
    3. 50D + Speedlite 580MK II , may consider to take 18-200 lens kit

I read the spec , it seem that 7D dont really need a speedlite cause it has a build-in feature which is good enough for the lighting for taking photo.

Do i still need to buy speedlite 580mk II in that case , cause i hope that i can bring lesser thing around me , as i still need to carry my existing len 70-200 non IS F2.8 len.

I mostly use it for landscape , but my weakness is night shot which make me thinking of getting a good speed cam.
    Thanks for advice. Thanks.

Default Re: upgrade 400D with lens or 50D or 7D

Firstly, welcome to clubsnap...

secondly, wherever you're getting your information from is very incorrect.
    "7D dont really need a speedlite cause it has a build-in feature which is good enough for the lighting for taking photo." huh???
    7D is the first Canon camera with a built-in wireless commander feature on the pop-up flash. That means you can trigger a 580EXII (for example) remotely using the flash (and other encoded signals) from the 7D's pop-up flash. It DOES NOT MEAN that you don't need to buy a 580EXII...

If you use your camera mainly for landscape, and your weakness is night shot (I presume night landscapes), what you'll need is a TRIPOD, not a "good speed cam"... what in the world is a good speed cam anyway? Do you mean a camera with fast frame rate? Or do you mean a camera that can capture high-ISO images with relatively low levels of noise?

btw, there is no such thing as a "len"... Singular = Lens... Plural = Lenses
    Exploring! :)

Dear ZerocoolAstra ,

Thanks for the advice , i think i must be too anxious so I put in some wrong information inside.

I read some preview that the EOS 7D pop out flash is pretty good , so I was thinking can I actually use only the pop out flash itself instead to buy the 580MK II which I think cause some confusion

As for night landscape , i need some fast frame rate to capture some views. Tripod may not allow in some area.

Thanks for the advice , really helpful for picking the mistake.

The pop-up flash only has a GN of 12 (which by the way is common for all the other DSLRs)... which is not even close to comparison with the 580MK2... it's a totally different thing.
    Canon 7D | 50mm F1.4 | Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX HSM | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM

do u really need a 580EXII??

alot of pple overkill with their flash purchase imo..

Quote Originally Posted by rosciel View Post
    Hi all ,

I been planning some saving for upgrading lens and a speedlite 580mkII for my 400D which i been using many years. However i come across the EOS 7D and 50D, i wonder which should i choose with my limited saving.

1. 400D + 55-250 IS len (for longer distance and general use ) and one speedlite 580 mkII
    2. 7D body only

I read the spec , it seem that 7D dont really need a speedlite cause it has a build-in feature which is good enough for the lighting for taking photo.

Do i still need to buy speedlite 580mk II in that case , cause i hope that i can bring lesser thing around me , as i still need to carry my existing len 70-200 non IS F2.8 len.

I mostly use it for landscape , but my weakness is night shot which make me thinking of getting a good speed cam.
    Hi rosciel... when faced with a tight budget, it would be wise to invest your money in the following order:
    (1) Camera bag (sling or back pack)
    (2) Flash
    (3) Camera stand
    (4) Dry cabinet for your stuff (Don't put your bag in it)
    (5) Lens

That's the basic you need to have first. After that, if you still got spare cash or need to save up for, then the next thing you ever need is to buy more of different types of lenses. Camera bodies change and upgrade all the time. Lenses are always the same and can be used for different Canon bodies. So it is wise to buy lenses.

For landscape, you might want to consider a wide angle lens. For night photography, you might want to consider fast lens.

From your choice you presented to us, I would propose to go with 1.

Hope that helps.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

I read some preview that the EOS 7D pop out flash is pretty good , so I was thinking can I actually use only the pop out flash itself instead to buy the 580MK II which I think cause some confusion

As for night landscape , i need some fast frame rate to capture some views. Tripod may not allow in some area.
    To get a nicely exposed night landscape, a tripod is a must. Having a high FPS doesnt give you better pictures at night. For night shots handheld, prob a faster lens will help a little, though nothing beats a tripod.

I would suggest you get a flash unit first, maybe a 430EXII is good enough? After that, you can consider fast primes (e.g 50mm f1.8 is about $150). Body should be the last thing to upgrade

Hi all ,

2. 7D body only

First, you need a tripod for night shots. not a speed cam. *edited* you said some areas you cant use tripod, how abt using the single legged tripod?
    secondly, i suggest buying lens and the speedlite for your 400d, i think the lens is more important than the body.
    hope i helped
    Last edited by Ryanchew; 23rd February 2010 at 05:18 PM.
    Canon Eos 500D
    100mm Macro Lens, Single Diffused Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanchew View Post
    First, you need a tripod for night shots. not a speed cam. *edited* you said some areas you cant use tripod, how abt using the single legged tripod?
    secondly, i suggest buying lens and the speedlite for your 400d, i think the lens is more important than the body.
    hope i helped
    A 1-legged camera support is known as a monopod. A tripod has 3 legs, hence the name

TS, if you're intending to use your camera for indoor photography with dim lights, a flash is highly recommended. 580EXII is MUCH MUCH more powerful than any built-in flash on any camera body. If you can afford it and don't mind the size, it would be better to get the 580 instead of its little bro, the 430. The extra flash power may seem unnecessary, but when you start using flash modifiers (diffuser, etc), the extra power helps.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 23rd February 2010 at 09:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi all ,

2. 7D body only

Keep whatever you have now. Spend a few bucks on a wireless remote, and get a ok tripod. And learn.

Dear all, really thankful for the golden guidance

It really nice to get good advices from you all, I need to learn much more than I think. Will take in advice and look into upgrading the lens (as suggest by yc2005, on fast primes and wide lens suggest by hotwork77) and get flash unit 580MK II + wireless remote and a monopod if possible.

While more advices are welcome, Thanks for all the advices and time

Dear all, really thankful for the golden guidance

It really nice to get good advices from you all, I need to learn much more than I think. Will take in advice and look into upgrading the lens (as suggest by yc2005, on fast primes and wide lens suggest by hotwork77) and get flash unit 580MK II + wireless remote and a monopod if possible.

While more advices are welcome, Thanks for all the advices and time
    monopod isn't such a good idea if using for night landscapes.
    So far I've mainly seen monopods used with long and heavy lenses like so

taken from wikimedia.org

There's no way you can keep the camera steady for a few seconds without using a tripod or completely resting the camera on a solid surface.

Wire/wireless remote is certainly useful too, to prevent any minute disturbance when pressing the shutter release. Sometimes I forget to bring it along, so I use the 2sec timer delay function.