Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Cars Opinions

Default Re: VW Cars Opinions

I drove a Golf GTi before....

The car is nice and power to drive with.
    Overall nice car interiors value for $$$.

But will be too small for family usage and the FC will kill you.
    Full tank cost me abt $100.

yawn

any car can over take any car. its just that some are so noisy when they do so

like the civic or the fit overtaking cars on a highway, you hear the engine noise and feel like it's wincing while the vw overtakes with silence and ease.

Basically thats what i meant. Nothing to do with "overtaking anything"

im sure the vw golf gti r32 can match the wrx ?. im sure not only ahbeng driving wrx, but theres still modifications enthusiasts like me who love such japan import cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i was referring to the 2l ones.
    test drove it.
    i love the design, but unfortunately, the acceleration wasnt as impressive.
    i know it's just a 2 liter, but i'm a performance freak.
    heh... i know what you meant. one can never have enough when it comes to the century sprint. of course, if it's possible, i'd also like to have such power in my ride. but great power comes great responsibility

but i can't deny this... that the Scirocco is one of the nicest looking car around
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FLiNcHY View Post
    yawn

any car can over take any car. its just that some are so noisy when they do so

like the civic or the fit overtaking cars on a highway, you hear the engine noise and feel like it's wincing while the vw overtakes with silence and ease.

Basically thats what i meant. Nothing to do with "overtaking anything"
    The statement you made, just demostrated your understanding of cars Firstly, you are not comparing apples to apples.. A NA marque vs one depending on force induction, where's the logic? FYI, a Ferrari, Lamboghini, Maserati, Aston Martin is similiar, if more noiser then any honda civics but I dun see you point that out :P Anyway, overtaking with ease or not also depends on the other driver you are taking to overtake

Well..Back to the topic, I too have driven my fair share of both german/french/american and japanese cars. Yes, VW have improved alot over the years.. but I personally feel that the Scirocco and the MK VI GTI is overhyped. Nice looks, maybe..fast, ok.. exciting to drive, totally not.. SO it depends on what you are looking for realli.. Now a more in-depth look.

Exterior: The say a car is an extension of your personality, so for me the Scirocco may appeal to alot of people with its mean outlook but certainly not me. The front view of the car looks nice and flattering when viewed at 3/4 angle in front. However, stand to the side and you will find it looks really inproportionate. The overall exterior of the old EG Honda Civics are still the benchmark for me. And an interesting pointer, the front look of the Scirocco looks suspiciously similar to the old Mitsubishi Galant VR series

Interior: The interior built quality seems to have dipped, especially those who had driven older Golfs (MK IV & V).. For those who have owned other german marques (minus Opel), the VW is downright boring and you wonder where your $ has gone to. Period!

Gearbox: DSG is and interesting innovation and certainly did help VW clock the numbers. But.. much as DSG is good, it is not great. The DSG unit used in VW is great at upshifting but its has a tendancy to fumble when its suppose/you want it to downshift.

Engine: Squeezing 170bhp out of a 1.4L 4-cyclinder unit is great. I applaude the engineers for that. But its not unachievable with twin turbos, which would require lesser maintenace. Supercharger is good, but not totally efficient (you sacrifice power to create power). Besides, it does require more maintenace, now that you have one more belt to worry about. Question is.. how reliable is this unit in the long run and how expensive would it cost when the problems start to surface as you clock the milage?

Performance: Well, 170bhp and over 200Nm of torque is interesting.. but at the end of the day, it is a FF car. I am not trying to create a FF vs FR vs 4WD debate.. but do take care when you increase too much torque into that front wheels, your front shocks and tyres will see alot more wear and tear, not to mention that it will affect the handling.

Space & Comfort: The Scirocco is nice for the driver and front passenger but bad for the rear passenger like any other 3-dr hatch. However, the sporty nature of the vehicle does sacrifice comfort with stiffer springs. Good and bad.

Fun Factor: One word.. boring.. There is very little interaction between the car and yourself, not to mention very little involvement. You will have more fun in Japanese cars like the Honda Civic Type R (Both EK, FD and FN), Subaru WRX-STI, Suzuki Swift Sport, French rides like the Renault Sport Clio R27, Renualt Sport Megane R26, Peugeot 207 gti, Germans like the Mini Cooper S/S JCW, Opel Corsa OPC, Italian-made like the Alfa mito, or even the Made in the USA Ford Focus ST. Notice that the cars mentioned are either cheaper or almost similar to the price tag of the MK VI GTI/2.0L Scirocco. That is how much choice you have!

The above represents my personal experiences and opinion. No offences to anyone or any brand. Cheers~

VW delivers a lot of value for the dollar.
    VW is about making good performance cars. Audi arm is the luxury segment.
    Ride quality is very good. Of course you can nitpick many things, but always bear in mind to compare using the same dollar value.
    All brands will have some fit and trim short comings... if you look for the perfect one, you won't find it.

Being one of the best performace/fuel consumption ratio car on the road. (I know Honda Fit does it best in fuel economy, but it is not the same acceleration.)
    If there is only thing that I would extol and that which convinces me about VW is the DSG.
    Gosh, I am a hardcore manual shift-type of driver. I never believed Auto gear can do it better. But when i tried their DSG ('dual-clutch' for those who are not into cars) i was convinced finally my thinking is obsolete.
    Trust me, the DSG is amazingly smooth and clever! esp the 7-speed version. Shifting is precise and with little lag.
    Only the Evo X's equivalent (i think it's 'SST'?) can be compared. This is real engineering. Makes CVT development look like a mistake in the auto industry in comparison and on hindsight.

Not comparing w jap cars, which also has very good value for the dollars one would spend on. Easy to maintain w outside workshop etc.. lower cost of ownership over a longer period of time.
    But jap cars have to watch out, the Korean makes are beating them in QC, trim and fit too. K-Designs are very good these days too.

I'm a firm believer in safety. Any 8 or 9 sec car with good low end torque would be too fast for the average commuters already, taking into account there are many on the roads who cannot drive safely or with good manners.

just as i post, i saw an earlier posting. true, you mentioned many good alternatives. all of them share similar shortcomings too.
    (no need to mention comfort when talking performace etc..)
    not about looking for the best in the list, and the thread starter is asking opinion about VW alone. it is clear that VW is now very good in dollar-value terms.
    Just observe the increasing number of them on the roads. These owners are not fools.

when u decide to buy a scirocco, u're going for looks over performance.
    as mentioned by tan131, you have tons of other options for that kind of $ you're paying.

you want performance?a normal scoobydoo will beat the crap out of other cars in it's category.
    just look at the hatchy sti, 300hp.price?low 100k.

nikkie,
    yes, your thinking if obsolete
    i'm a hardcore manual freak like mako from initial D.
    but ever since i tested the dsg, especially the one in the gtr, i was speechless.
    the VW ones are sitll jerky imho, especially move off.but it's pretty typical of dsg GB.
    ferrari claims to NOT make manual GB anymore iirc, which is a real pity.
    but if one has tried the scud's shiftings in race mode,
    you'll ask manual gb to go to hammer hell.

so in short...btt,

vw cars, my family has them.but they are over-rated.
    especially the gti.
    no doubt nice car, pretty torqy for A to B in sgp, but performance wise, i'll put my $ somewhere else.

colleague's scirocco refused to start one fine day after 2 months ownership..
    and yes, the build quality has gone down lokang.
    just look at all the cheap plastics.
    for a conti car?duh.

i'll put my $ on a audi S3 anyday, albeit it's more ex.

in any car review, one has to always compare within price band.

true for general review that for $120~140k, the plastics within is a little 'under-class'.
    But are we talking just performance alone or trying to look at all fronts - price, fast, luxury, looks, ...?
    wa piang, get the polo la. sure to be getting alot for the price (except space).

no need to bring the scuderia into picture bah. different beast and realm altogether.

went to test drive honda, salesman see me no up. tell me q for test drive too long. i left.

went to test drive wrx sgt/ later sti, 100K+ doors very light, interior cheap.
    driving experience, a lot of raw power but steering loose, feel cheap. i kiv

went to test drive vw gti, 120K+ doors close with a polished "boomz". Drove well, feel well made. i bought it.

if i just want power i would have bought the sti or a normal rex.
    i am looking for a more polished driving experience.

i used to own a 2006 golf 1.6l. sold it after 3 years. back then it was doing 9km per litre. worse than a 320i.

let me touch on the non-technical side of owning one.

one thing to note is the resale value. the distributor then didn't do a good job of branding it so resale value compared to other european makes wasn't great.

servicing wasn't great either. servicing agents were not customer focus. and somehow each time i sent for servicing it cost me $400-$600. change this change that plus labour cost.

overall didn't leave a great experience.

truthfully, the customer responsiveness sucks big time.
    everything is via a single customer service line. Whether to complain about small issue, tighten a bolt, or book servicing, all go thro one damn line.

However the road side assistance is top notch.
    If you encounter any issue, be it noise or any probably technical glitch (bear in mind VW, like BMW, and other continental cars depend a lot on computers to run well), the mobile roadside assistance is very responsive and very competent. they can troubleshoot on the spot with a computer plugged in, and also take apart some things to double check.

Some other european makes' service on the other hand is quite bad. they simply tow the car away to their workshop.

Nowadays there are more pretty sales agents there though.

Blog Entries

I'd thought we mods are supposed to police flame wars between Canon and Nikon..... now we have to keep an eye out for a possible VW vs WRX and a 'AhBengs drive WRX' flame war ???

Correct me if I am wrong: but MotorImage has been glorifying the Ah Beng link to its Subaloo cars in its 'killer whale' ads on radio for a very long time time already

----------
    anyway, I am likely getting a Subaru Tribeca SUV later this year after my CTR reaches 4 yrs old .... been salivating for one of these monsters for the last 2 yrs already

---------
    Last edited by ed9119; 26th February 2010 at 12:52 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I'd thought we mods are supposed to police flame wars between Canon and Nikon..... now we have to keep an eye out for a possible VW vs WRX and a 'AhBengs drive WRX' flame war ???

Correct me if I am wrong: but MotorImage has been glorifying the Ah Beng link to its cars in its 'killer whale' ads on radio for a very long time time already

----------
    anyway, I am likely getting a Subaru Tribeca SUV later this year after my CTR reaches 4 yrs old .... been salivating for one of these monsters for the last 2 yrs already

---------
    LOL a day of work for a mod haha.

Subaru Tribeca Sweetzzzz let me if u are buying haha can get u discount ler. I 'Ah Beng' mah just like someone labelled Subaru WRX driver as. Ya dun mess with my 'Killer Whale' hor haha i am zenging my ka.
    Last edited by Ringwraiths; 25th February 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraiths View Post
    Wat do u mean by only ah bengs drive it.
    MotorImage already confirmed it......

aiyah.... ah beng so what? I am oso ah beng.... there is nothing to be ashamed about it
    Last edited by ed9119; 26th February 2010 at 11:05 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    MotorImage already confirmed it......

aiyah.... ah beng so what? I am oso ah beng.... there is nothing to be ashamed about it
    Haha right on bro.

hmm must ask Glenn Tan to change it already.

from 'Subaru, think. feels. drive' to 'Subaloo, think. feels. only Ah Beng Drives It'

haha
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I Also Have a VW...................Caddy
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

Caddy has good torque woh... can chiong faster from standstill and beat many cars.

I had a Passat and my wife a Golf, previously. Great cars. Excellent handling. As with most German's breed, the road holding is unmatchable. Would I recommend VW? Yes.

For those who want a zippy car that is fuel economical and pay less road tax, then I will recommend what I am driving.

Golf Tsi

This is a brilliant car - Mark6 version with 7 speed. Very safe NCAP 5 stars!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1202766262

Last edited by eng_keow; 26th February 2010 at 02:01 PM.
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast