Thread: *** New Member & Singapore visitor - need advice ***

Default *** New Member & Singapore visitor - need advice ***

Hello! and greetings to all the wonderful clubsnappers:

I am on my last leg of a 3 week business trip - great country, people and places!
    I did check out a lot of camera and photo shops in search of my Nikon 80-400 VR or an equivalent in Sigma. So I went around a few shops. Some of which offered sky high prices and others hard to believe rates .. so can I request some sort of advice from senior members on where to buy my lens from and if it would be genuine lens/equipment. All prices are exclusive of GST

All lenses are new with warranty and in sealed boxes.

Cathay Photo Shop - $2300
    Alan Photo - $2600
    Alex Photo (Next to Cathay) - $1900
    DD Electronics - $2170

I assume that John316, MS Photo and any others would be in the $2000+ range.

So is Alex Photo a good deal? And is his lenses genuine and can I buy from him?
    His shop is more of a second hand store but I need to really know how he can afford to give such low prices for this lens?

I need a quick reply as I have to leave by this weekend and I would like to finalize my purchase in the next two days. So please treat this post as urgent and do reply.

Many thanks and have a wonderful year folks - I enjoyed CNY 2010 here!

Cheers,
    Xobni

Default Re: *** New Member & Singapore visitor - need advice ***

i do not know if alex photo is a good store, but you point out that it is second-hand.

a second-hand lens would naturally cost less than a brand new lens, because of warranty issues, along with the risk that there might be hidden damage that you might not be able to detect right away that might surface later on. so you are paying for the risk.

cathay photo is decent, won't say the same for alan.

other shops you can consider are orient photo, ms colour, john 3:16. a quick googling will give you shop numbers, you can easily call them for a phone quote.

Blog Entries

Alex has been around for a long time and is reputable and sells 2nd hand....... you can try for another 5% discount

Paris Silk can consider too if you are buying new

The Camera Workshop is also another reputable shop...... however its products are mostly grey market sets so might not come with manufacturer's warranty although they might give you an in-store warranty
    Last edited by ed9119; 23rd February 2010 at 12:39 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Paris Silk too
    80-400 VR like not listed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    80-400 VR like not listed.
    give me time to edit my post lah !!! kekekeke
    Walkeast

Thank you for the quick reply but I was asking if Alex photo is a second hand photo shop? I saw his sign board that said New/Repairs/Exchange or something to that effect. So do you think he stocks new lenses too? I saw a number of lens boxes in his store that were new. Not sure if I have the confidence to go and buy it from him. Please advice.

Welcome Xobni to Singapore.

Please remember to complete the GST 7% form upon purchase at the shop (the refund can be claimed on departing Singapore at the Changi Airport).

Please remember to bring along your passport when completing the GST form!

Please share some of the refund here.

Quote Originally Posted by xobni View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply but I was asking if Alex photo is a second hand photo shop? I saw his sign board that said New/Repairs/Exchange or something to that effect. So do you think he stocks new lenses too? I saw a number of lens boxes in his store that were new. Not sure if I have the confidence to go and buy it from him. Please advice.
    I cant really comment on Alex Photo cos I dont shop there.

However I will stick to the adage - you get what you pay for!

@ed9119:

Thanks! You seem to have done business with Alex Photo. Do you know if he stocks new equipment?

Blog Entries

Alex's merchandis are almost always 2nd hand........ but stuff that has been closely inspected and cleaned up..... I've bought from him before used items

You best ask them yourself , they will be honest with reply. But their price already gives you a clue that it is very likely to be a 2nd hand piece

They also have a good choice of used Hoya and B&W filters...... might as well pick one up for the lens as a package

best of luck
    Walkeast

You may check out the price guide HERE. It includes a list of reputable shops too. Do give them a call or email for quotation. My experience is most of them will reply to their email within 24hrs.

Also, make sure you bring your passport along so you can have GST claims as pointed out by pokiemon above.

Have fun in Singapore!

I have no knowledge of DD Electronics, but for a S$400 difference between new and used, and the warranty, I think it would a better situation to pick up the new lens, especially as you will be leaving the country and any local purchase warranty offered on the 2nd hand set will be difficult and inconvenient to take advantage of.

agree with Jed, with few hundred bucks difference, better be safe on buying the brand new one with international warranty,

Blog Entries

a new grey set is still better than a used set

just how much risk can you take

Given the price list above, I would prefer Cathay Photo.
    It's brand new, and you can claim back the 7% GST at the airport.
    Your fastest camera is as fast as your slowest lens