Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Is this a defect?

  1. #1

    Default Is this a defect?

    I just realised that the shutter gate (is this the correct term) is more towards one side.

    as per pic. is it supposed to be like this? Or is it supposed to be just nice 1/2 in the centre?

    sorry have to highlight with a red line cos couldnt really see from iphone cam.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    anyone?

    cos i thought it should be halve in the centre. and not 1/3, 2/3 cut.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kiasu Nation
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    hmm mine cannot even see any red line

  4. #4
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    hmm mine cannot even see any red line

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    sorry have to highlight with a red line cos couldnt really see from iphone cam.
    i think he just made it red to show us....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Should be fine. The sensor doesn't activate until the whole shutter is open anyway.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    I just realised that the shutter gate (is this the correct term) is more towards one side.

    as per pic. is it supposed to be like this? Or is it supposed to be just nice 1/2 in the centre?
    Shoot more, worry less. I think it's normal; not everything is symetrical.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    i think he just made it red to show us....
    yup. cos its totally impossible to be seen from iphone cam.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Should be fine. The sensor doesn't activate until the whole shutter is open anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Shoot more, worry less. I think it's normal; not everything is symetrical.
    really hope its ok. cos was doing cleaning the lens and i seldom looked at it so dearly when the cam is shut off. so its the first time having such a close and long look hence found out this "issue"

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    i don't know, but your camera and lens work fine , right?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    its working perfectly fine. just that i cant understand why its made in such way? hmmmmm... oh well, maybe i should really shoot more, worry less.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    its working perfectly fine. just that i cant understand why its made in such way? hmmmmm... oh well, maybe i should really shoot more, worry less.
    well, i can't really see anything, but i do have a lens that i had to fix (old one).

    due to some issues with the aperture lever, the lens would not fully open. but difference is slight i guess. i also use it at f/8 most of the time, so at that aperture no difference.

    i don't know if you get what i'm saying, but don't worry too much about it.

    if you really worry, can always ask fatigue to take a look at it, if you trust him.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    I just realised that the shutter gate (is this the correct term) is more towards one side.

    as per pic. is it supposed to be like this? Or is it supposed to be just nice 1/2 in the centre?

    sorry have to highlight with a red line cos couldnt really see from iphone cam.
    The correct term is shutter leaf.

    Shutters have anywhere from one to a well over 20 leaves depending on the design and maximum shutter speed. Having a leaf in the position yours is won't be a problem as it was probably designed that way in the first place. If it's out of place the shutter won't operate correctly by the way.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The correct term is shutter leaf.

    Shutters have anywhere from one to a well over 20 leaves depending on the design and maximum shutter speed. Having a leaf in the position yours is won't be a problem as it was probably designed that way in the first place. If it's out of place the shutter won't operate correctly by the way.
    i think the portion that im referring to is not shutter leaf/leaves.

    cos i observed the closing of the shutter when i choose big aperture and small aperture and the part thats opening and closing looks like this:



    which i believe this is the shutter leaf.


    the portion im referring to is actually covering this shutter leaf when the camera is switched off.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post
    i think the portion that im referring to is not shutter leaf/leaves.

    cos i observed the closing of the shutter when i choose big aperture and small aperture and the part thats opening and closing looks like this:



    which i believe this is the shutter leaf.


    the portion im referring to is actually covering this shutter leaf when the camera is switched off.
    Ain't these aperture blades?

  15. #15
    Senior Member peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    5,072

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    try not to self clean the sensor better to let the service centre to do the cleaning
    Love insects Macro Photography本杰明 More Pctures at my Blog at bennieHsu

  16. #16
    Member LexLim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gombak
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    try not to self clean the sensor better to let the service centre to do the cleaning
    O_o Huh!?

    Yea i believe that's the aperture blade as well
    Nikon D60|18-55|55-200|105 f/2.5 ai|35 f/1.8|
    My Flickr

  17. #17

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeeey View Post

    which i believe this is the shutter leaf.
    Wrong. Those are the aperture blades. Different from shutter leaf.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Wrong. Those are the aperture blades. Different from shutter leaf.
    ohhh.. my bad. sorry.

  19. #19
    Member akangtooch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Is this a defect?

    as long as it wont affect the results...just observe it and keep shooting...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •