Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    So I believe that the da40 at f2.8 would be clearer than the fa50mm at 1.4 ,but can be just as clear at f2.8 or even sharper ?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    FA 50 f1.4 is soft open wide. but stopped down, it's awfully sharp.

    Dunno about DA 40 but other says its sharp wide open. Please correct me if I'm Wrong.
    what does it mean by soft - means the subject will be blur?

  3. #23

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    So I believe that the da40 at f2.8 would be clearer than the fa50mm at 1.4 ,but can be just as clear at f2.8 or even sharper ?
    Check the MTF tables on photozone.de
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Are there any f/1.4 owners/users here who have/had direct personal hands-on experience feel that the Pentax-F 50mm f/1.4 is a wee bit slightly better than Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    So I believe that the da40 at f2.8 would be clearer than the fa50mm at 1.4 ,but can be just as clear at f2.8 or even sharper ?
    Ok. Then you won't go wrong with a FA50. Over the DA40, you can get faster if you want (ie. <f2.8) and they are likely to be as sharp both at f2.8. I no longer have a FA50 and never had the 40mm, but still have a few 50/1.7 and 50/2 plus other lenses. I've done enough shots to be convinced that the 50mm are already very sharp at f2.8 and any nit-pick between sharpness would be just that and have no real affect on photos viewed at normal sizes (HDTV 1024p; LCD Monitor 1280x800) and even at 1x - 6x magnification. My humble few cents.


    Quote Originally Posted by tootboink View Post
    what does it mean by soft - means the subject will be blur?
    Aiya, just try yourself even using your kit lens
    Shoot at same focal length at max aperture and then stop down by 1-2 stops (Eg. f4.5 and then f8).
    Look at it using 100% view.
    Perhaps the others can better explain, but yeah ... blur, soft, hazy...
    Warning! this is a certain path toward LBA

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Far East
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Aiya, just try yourself even using your kit lens
    Shoot at same focal length at max aperture and then stop down by 1-2 stops (Eg. f4.5 and then f8).
    Look at it using 100% view.
    Perhaps the others can better explain, but yeah ... blur, soft, hazy...
    Warning! this is a certain path toward LBA
    Sharpness is overrated.

    Softness can be a blessing when doing portraits. Softer complexion and dreamy feel. (But you lose sharpness of the eyes as well) Here are some wide-open shots from the infamously soft Jupiter-9 85/2.



    It adds a certain charm to environmental shots as well.

    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

  7. #27

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Aiya, just try yourself even using your kit lens
    Shoot at same focal length at max aperture and then stop down by 1-2 stops (Eg. f4.5 and then f8).
    Look at it using 100% view.
    Perhaps the others can better explain, but yeah ... blur, soft, hazy...
    Warning! this is a certain path toward LBA
    oic. you mean noticeable only when viewed at 100%? i have the fa50 1.4. i often shoot at f1.4 and the pictures are awesome. so i am puzzled over the "soft wide open" term which everyone likes to hold to their lips for many lenses.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    I think individual copies of the FA50 1.4 may vary slightly, but mine, although relatively sharp at 1.4, is definitely sharper at 2.8 and even more at 4.0. Its especially obvious at the corners.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Singapore AMK
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Oooh... Please advise where I can find the Sigma 50mm f1.4?? I can't seem to find it for the K-mount...

    I'm also considering between Pentax and Sigma for the mentioned spec.
    I shot my missus and son...

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    AFAIK the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is not available locally went around asking shops if i could even special order 'sight unseen' but they said the distributor is not bringing in this lens in K-mount.

    I ordered it direct from Adorama - bit of sticker shock at 'extra' import tax but smooth sailing otherwise.

    for those curious about this lens, i'll finally be joining the pentax gathering tomorrow (13th march), so i'll bring it along for people to try

  11. #31

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeygod View Post
    AFAIK the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is not available locally went around asking shops if i could even special order 'sight unseen' but they said the distributor is not bringing in this lens in K-mount.

    I ordered it direct from Adorama - bit of sticker shock at 'extra' import tax but smooth sailing otherwise.

    for those curious about this lens, i'll finally be joining the pentax gathering tomorrow (13th march), so i'll bring it along for people to try
    wow ... good good . Can i try it tomolo

    hoping someone will bring F2.8 Tamron 28-75 and 17-55 tomorrow too. Me still can't decided which one to get

  12. #32
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    wow ... good good . Can i try it tomolo

    hoping someone will bring F2.8 Tamron 28-75 and 17-55 tomorrow too. Me still can't decided which one to get
    What will you be shooting?

  13. #33

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    What will you be shooting?
    Mostly my 7 month boy , friends wedding , streets ....

  14. #34
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    Mostly my 7 month boy , friends wedding , streets ....
    Then get the Tamron 28-75mm.A super great lens for portraits

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Singapore AMK
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Pentax or Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?

    is that the Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8 Di?? So the aperture can be fixed at 2.8? Wow... Sounds real neat & versatile as a portrait lens.

    Any samples to show??
    I shot my missus and son...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •